Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear axle issues/tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PotterPorsche
Here is a new one.over the last couples weeks I noticed rear end was making a clunking sound. Motor mounts already replaces. Thought it was the rear struts. Upon replacing the rear struts I had issues aligning the rear trailing arm with the replacement strut. Axle would not lower down. Upon replacing passenger side strut the cv axle went in with little resistance. It dropped down and lined up. Everything went back together. As I prepared for a test run I started the car in gear. Car lunged forward. I then tried to put the car in reverse , 1st 2nd. Any gear ,Car won't move. I looked under the car and while the car is idling and I see the driver side axle rotating, I put the car in first or second let out the clutch car doesn't move axle continues to rotate? Is it just the cv axle or did something break in the tranny! This sucks!!!

Cap'n Krusty
Sounds a lot like a broken CV joint ..........

The Cap'n
76-914
Yup, that was the clunking noise. Grab the other shaft and slide it back n forth. Does it clunk also? If so, replace it, too. PM bdstone here. I'll bet he has a few used ones.
stugray
You will find all of the bearings in your rubber boot now.
PotterPorsche
I will inspect this weekend and update the post
NORD
I just sent you a PM about axels and CVs
JawjaPorsche
biggrin.gif Chris the Man! beerchug.gif

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
jmill
Is that you Isaac?

Gotta be seeing the list of cars you own. Let me look. I might have a set of axles and CV's laying around. If not let me know what parts you need and I'll pull them off. I'm installing 911 CV's and custom axles so I won't need the 4 bits.
PotterPorsche
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 12 2014, 05:16 PM) *

Is that you Isaac?

Gotta be seeing the list of cars you own. Let me look. I might have a set of axles and CV's laying around. If not let me know what parts you need and I'll pull them off. I'm installing 911 CV's and custom axles so I won't need the 4 bits.

John it is me!! Isaac
Just checked under the car. Jacked up driver side wheel. Placed on jack stands. Rotated wheel loud clunking sound that wasn't there 24 hrs earlier. Climbed under rotated wheel axle doesn't move. Loud clunk in cv area. Rotated Axle attached to tranny wheel does move . Freakin broke the cv or axle. Pictures to come as I pull it apart. Just want to thank 914 world for helping diagnose.

John if your looking to get rid of the axles I'm more than happy to pick those up.

jmill
Let me know what's broke and the parts are yours for the shipping. It's about time I swapped my axles out anyhow.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Jun 12 2014, 07:20 PM) *
Freakin broke the cv or axle.

The CV joint. The axles very very rarely break, and usually only when there is other damage that causes it. The CVs are weaker than the axles, and they almost always go first.

--DD
PotterPorsche
Took the axle off today. As you guys mentioned cv ball bearings fell out of bent cage nearest the wheel. Only had the car for 6 months. At least its not the tranny. Im going to pull off the otherside and inspect / regrease. At least its not the tranny!!!!. Hoping to be back on the road this summer.
Mike Bellis
When I had my first V8 914, I used to break CV;s weekly. Parts Heaven would sell me complete used axles & CV's for $50. Not sure what the price is now but you live close to them.
PotterPorsche
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 14 2014, 10:49 PM) *

When I had my first V8 914, I used to break CV;s weekly. Parts Heaven would sell me complete used axles & CV's for $50. Not sure what the price is now but you live close to them.

Upon removal of passenger side axle found rear bearings on both sides in sad shape. Driver side missing a seal. Passenger side 3/8 play . Off to parts heaven for some axle bearings. So far in 6 months I've replaced all front bearings. Now replacing both axles shafts, and now both rear bearings. Should be good to go for awhile
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.