Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storing a Type IV crank shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I struck out with the search function so please pardon me if this has been discussed before.

I have read a good bit of the online debate about storing cranks. None that I found dealt with Type IV's. Most other cranks would seemingly be more susceptible to creep or warping due to their unsupported spans if stored horizontally. Our cranks are flat and when laid on their sides seem to have plenty of support.

Do ours need to be stood or hung vertically?
Jake Raby
T4 cranks are short and have huge main journals.

I've stored cranks for 10 years without them being moved once, and they still spec'd with no run out.

TargaToy
So I am reading this as "oiled up, wrapped, and laying on a shelf will be fine."

Thanks, Jake.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 13 2014, 11:32 AM) *

So I am reading this as "oiled up, wrapped, and laying on a shelf will be fine."

Thanks, Jake.

I'd use cosmoline instead of oils or other greases. It's specifically designed for storage purposes.
Cap'n Krusty
I have used, with great success, LPS-3. Sprays on, fairly easily removed, works well, pretty readily available from Amazon or Grainger.

The Cap'n
Mblizzard
Based on my experience in my fathers machine shop which worked with very large displacement Diesel engines, you have to have a very long crank shaft to begin worrying about warping. I am talking engines with 100s of liters of displacement. These engines are so massive that the cranks are made in sections and excess material is at a minimum.

So like Jake said, I can't see that there would be a concern with a Type 4 crank storage orientation.
URY914
I have a 2.0 stashed away and aboutr once a year or so I oil it up and put it back in the box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.