Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire BRAND recommendation....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
So, I have decided on the size tires I would like for my tock-fendered 914. Now I need a recommendation for a brand of tire.

I have always purchased from TireRack, so I would like to do so again. It jsut works for me, so I support.

Here are some specs:

1. Wheels are 5-lug steelies (don't ask..... long story)
2. I will NOT be AXing this car..... spirited weekend drives.
3. Tire profile I like best (after much thought) is going to be 195/65/15

So..... I have looked on TireRack.com, but would rather not rely on the reviews. Most are from drivers of newer economy cars.

If you have purchased tires recently for your narrow-bodied car, and have similar driving style (no racing, AXing, etc.), let me know what you bought.

My main concern is road noise, performance (narrow tires, I know, but I would still like a spirited ride every now and then), and quality. (not in this order, but you get the picture).

A good, basic tire.

I don't need the cheapest tire sold, but would appreciate a good value.

Cheers, and thank you for your thoughts....

Robert
Elliot Cannon
Yokohama.
Larmo63
I bought Yokohama 205/65 15 tires and I love them.

Tight fit, but they fit.
stugray
Goodyear Eagle GT
Larmo63
The Eagle GT Goodyears are not still available.
BuddyV
The Goodyear Eagle GT is the most recommended to me...... but cannot find it in stock ...... anyone know if year are discontinued????

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 12 2014, 09:23 PM) *

Goodyear Eagle GT

Andyrew
Your best bet is doing your own research on the following two web sites.

Enter your tire dimensions and look at reviews. Tire rack gives some good performance measuring tools.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...wtpackage=false

You can sort by the performance style of tire you want as well as many other factors.

Realize that you will be charged shipping on top of the tire rack prices (Calculate your cart to determine...)

Then theres discount tire. Which is an affiliate of American tire. Shipping is free on their web site and you can ship direct to your american tire store locally to have them mount it for a discount.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/s...alse&cs=195
stugray
http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Eagle-GT-Ra...e/dp/B004QL63MS

says "In Stock"

These are also very good.
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/goodyear/as...n/p/tv135000942

I have gone through two sets in ~140K miles on my 99 Solara.
Michael N
I have run the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position in the 195/65/15 size for over a year now. I like the tire and would buy again especially at the $71.00 each price. The 195/65/15 gives a good sidewall height to keep the speedometer accurate and the look vintage.

Click to view attachment
JamesM
Have not tried them yet, but I think I am going to try these out on my 1.7. They come in a 195/65-15 and...

they have 914 in the name!!!!

falken ziex ze914

Big Len
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 13 2014, 01:58 AM) *

I have run the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position in the 195/65/15 size for over a year now. I like the tire and would buy again especially at the $71.00 each price. The 195/65/15 gives a good sidewall height to keep the speedometer accurate and the look vintage.

Click to view attachment

Bought exactly the same. Good tire that's well reviewed.
budk
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 13 2014, 01:50 AM) *

Be wary of websites that show stock whenever others say they are discontinued. Sadly, a lot of websites will show as "in stock" regardless of whether or not they actually have them. I ran into this whenever I was buying tires for my truck, the lowest prices were always in stock until I tried to buy them. IF a website shows that they are out of stock you will go look elsewhere, but if they say they are in stock they at least have an opportunity to try and sell you something that they do have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.