Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Maybe now a new 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
green914
I would like to see it come to market; I would like to test drive it happy11.gif
rhodyguy
To compete in the market with the Alfa, that means it'll run in the $60k range. So much for an entry level model. I would expect the same dismal resale values as the boxster. Esp when lease surrenders flood the market. No thanks.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 13 2014, 04:05 PM) *

To compete in the market with the Alfa, that means it'll run in the $60k range. So much for an entry level model. I would expect the same dismal resale values as the boxster. Esp when lease surrenders flood the market. No thanks.

and that is the time when you buy one...
Johny Blackstain
Seems like a good idea but I'd like to know why they'd recycle the 718 number? That makes no sense to me.
carr914
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
How do you write an article with that description and not mention a link to the 914?

confused24.gif
carr914
Maybe because we drive Volkswagons!
r3dplanet
Maybe because we drive Volkswagens!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 13 2014, 04:22 PM) *

Maybe because we drive Volkswagons!

ripper911
alfred.gif
Steve
Porsche is pretty pathetic these days. At least a version of our car was raced at Lemans. Now it's just 911's and over priced race cars. Why don't they make a Boxster or Cayman worth racing at Lemans? mad.gif
carr914
You make it sound like there are affordable cars running LeMans!
Steve
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 14 2014, 03:26 PM) *

That's true, but you could buy a used 911 and try to convince yourself that it's similar to one of the Lemans 911's. Same thing with some of the GT Ferrari's which I can't afford either. Too bad I'm not into Nascar. It would be easy to afford one of the stock versions of those.
orthobiz
I thought this was the funniest line, about the styling:

unique styling (or, at least as unique as Porsche styling can get)

Gotta admit, the 911 and the 914 and the 924/44 and 928 all looked about as different as different can be...

Paul
Mark Henry
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 13 2014, 07:01 PM) *

How do you write an article with that description and not mention a link to the 914?

confused24.gif

Because it was written by a 22year old kid with a masters in american history and writes for a electronics web magazine who has no clue about Porsche history.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 14 2014, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 14 2014, 03:26 PM) *

That's true, but you could buy a used 911 and try to convince yourself that it's similar to one of the Lemans 911's. Same thing with some of the GT Ferrari's which I can't afford either. Too bad I'm not into Nascar. It would be easy to afford one of the stock versions of those.

There AREN'T any stock versions of those. av-943.gif
3d914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 13 2014, 04:01 PM) *

confused24.gif

marc, because there's no resemblance to the 914. Just because its a petite boxster doesn't make it a 914. They got a long way to go to modernize an equivalent design of the 914.
MDG
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 15 2014, 05:57 PM) *

Too bad I'm not into Nascar. It would be easy to afford one of the stock versions of those.

agree.gif

What do the cars in a Nascar race have to do with what's in the showrooms? They are purpose built, space age tube frame race cars. You could skin them into whatever shape you want; they just happen to make them look kinda sorta like Chevs and Fords and Toyotas or whatever.
MDG
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jun 15 2014, 06:07 PM) *

They got a long way to go to modernize an equivalent design of the 914.

Already have been making them for a while now. They're called Caymans and they are fantastic to drive. No targa top - yet, otherwise that IS your new 914-6.

Wait until the new big 4 cylinder arrives in . . . 2016 I think it is? Woody will know.
Steve
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 15 2014, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 15 2014, 05:57 PM) *

Too bad I'm not into Nascar. It would be easy to afford one of the stock versions of those.

agree.gif

What do the cars in a Nascar race have to do with what's in the showrooms? They are purpose built, space age tube frame race cars. You could skin them into whatever shape you want; they just happen to make them look kinda sorta like Chevs and Fords and Toyotas or whatever.

I agree, I screwed up on the Nascar comment. My initial reference was to the 914-6GT that won Lemans in its class back in 1970. Porsche only sold the 914 and 911 at that time and had GT versions of both cars at Lemans. My comment is that it's too bad they don't have a GT version of the Cayman or the Boxster at Lemans. Also sorry for the hijack. My post has nothing to do with a future new version of another 4 banger 914 that might come out. Regardng another six, we already have the Boxster and Cayman even though they are not dry sumped engines.
Cap'n Krusty
It's dead, just like the "new" microbus that's been drifting around the web for a decade or so.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/porsc...gn=awdailydrive

The Cap'n
campbellcj
There is no reason for Porsche to go downmarket. That's called Volkswagen. Porsche's premium models generate the industry's strongest profit margins and support a very valuable brand image.
Elliot Cannon
Ya think this one might happen? confused24.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfWpd5E8ws4
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 8 2014, 03:23 AM) *

Ya think this one might happen? confused24.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfWpd5E8ws4

Nope. More realistic was the VW BlueSport that VW said was the direct decendant of the 914 and SWORE that it would go into production. Reviews highly acclaimed it.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2009/01/det...t_bluespor.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.