Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Wheel Question??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
My '72 has the original steel wheels with hub caps and I think I am going to upgrade. I have been looking at a set of 15x5.5, 8 spoke EMPI style wheels but wonder if anyone knows if the offset is the same as the stock wheel?
Also if anyone has a set of alloy wheels you want out of the garage give me a shout.
Thanks
Bleyseng
Most of us don't consider the Empi's an upgrade. Wrong offset to fit decent tires.
Find a set of Mahles or Fuchs

Geoff IPB Image
rhodyguy
lay something flat on the inside edge of the wheel and measure to the inside face of the the wheels. you'll find the measurement of the 8-spoke is smaller(backspacing). the 8-spokes will limit the size of tire you can run without rubbing. the 8-spokes are great for t-1, t-3.. etc. don't forget to get a set of longer wheel bolts when you swap to mags. the short ones for steel wheels are not acceptable.

kevin
double-a
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 18 2005, 07:42 AM)
the short ones for steel wheels are not acceptable.

definitely not acceptable, as i recently found out. you don't want two threads holding your wheels on! IPB Image

~a
SLITS
There were Empi wheels made with the 14 offset. Finding them is another story.

There is a set of Audi/VW lugs that will supplant the alloy lugs; they have a different bolt head shape and size.
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (double-a @ Jan 18 2005, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 18 2005, 07:42 AM)
the short ones for steel wheels are not acceptable.

definitely not acceptable, as i recently found out. you don't want two threads holding your wheels on! IPB Image

~a

I had a (not so) fun experience with 2 threads on the wrong wheels/studs in a Fiat X1/9. Ended up doing a 720 on a freeway offramp as I watched my left rear wheel zoom past me while I applied the brakes. Lucky for me, the car didn't go over the side, but yes, ever since then, I make sure I have more than 2 threads holding the wheels in place. Did I mention I check the torque on the wheels too?
Series9
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 18 2005, 08:02 AM)
Most of us don't consider the Empi's an upgrade. Wrong offset to fit decent tires.
Find a set of Mahles or Fuchs

Geoff IPB Image

IPB Image

If you stick with 4-bolt, my vote would be 2.0 Fuchs.

If you convert to 5-bolt, there are a bunch of factory wheels from which to choose.
Michael J
Thanks for the comments. I wondered why I hadn't seen a 914 with empi 8 spokes.
So anyone have a set of Mahles or Petrinis for sale?

Mike
double-a
QUOTE (Michael J @ Jan 18 2005, 10:20 PM)
So anyone have a set of Mahles or Petrinis for sale?

talk to club member hwgunner. he has a set of 5 mahles that may be for sale. i was going to buy them, but i've got master cylinder issues to deal with now. send him a note and see if he still has them.

~a
pete-stevers
My brother and I are in the process of converting his fouteen to five bolt fuchs...His old four bolt fuchs will be for sale soon.... you could take the day and drive here if you are up to it to avoid shipping costs, the tires are ok for a season... not sure what he wants for them....I'm thinking 360 US for all four IPB Image
I will go and take a pic for you tonight
pete-stevers
here is the pic of the fuchs,
email me if you are interested
sspeters@shaw.ca
lapuwali
$360 is a good price, esp. if you can snag the lug bolts with them. The correct bolts are not all that cheap.
rhodyguy
that is a very good price if they all look like that. the drive up is a good idea. no customs hassle with shipping. just shipping alone would run a little over $80, and that's within the u.s. via fedex. drive up put them on and customs will never know the difference.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.