Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Single wire electrical quick disconnects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
You would think this would be easy to find but can somebody recommend a good website to buy electrical quick disconnects? For single wire of various AWG size, must be snap/lock together (not just yank apart) and in single quantities of each. Is there a good brand that can withstand the elements and heat? Would like to use a couple on my /6 conversion so engine removal is easier.
Tom
Weatherpak makes some pretty nice ones. You can buy single, double, triple, and quads in any amounts at DelCity.net . They come with rubber seals to make them at least water-resistant if not watertight. You have to buy the electrical connectors and seals separate for each one. The electrical connector and seals come in sizes for the Ga. wire you will be using. So if you need a triple and two singles for 14-16 Ga., you will need to order 5 each female 14-16 Ga. electrical connectors, 5 male 14-16 Ga. electrical connectors, and at least 10 seals for 14-16 Ga., as well as the female and male cases for the connectors. Buying a few extra wouldn't be a bad idea. It does take a special crimper, but if one is careful, you can bend the tabs over and solder and get a great connection. A removal tool is only a few bucks and it would be a good idea to get one of those.
Tom
ldsgeek
You can also look for the bullet connector that about 99% of Japanese motorcycles use. Also available in various sizes for different wires. The connections on my 1977 Kawasaki work fine, it's the wiring harness itself that is starting to go.
patssle
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 14 2014, 08:25 PM) *

Weatherpak makes some pretty nice ones. You can buy single, double, triple, and quads in any amounts at DelCity.net . They come with rubber seals to make them at least water-resistant if not watertight. You have to buy the electrical connectors and seals separate for each one. The electrical connector and seals come in sizes for the Ga. wire you will be using. So if you need a triple and two singles for 14-16 Ga., you will need to order 5 each female 14-16 Ga. electrical connectors, 5 male 14-16 Ga. electrical connectors, and at least 10 seals for 14-16 Ga., as well as the female and male cases for the connectors. Buying a few extra wouldn't be a bad idea. It does take a special crimper, but if one is careful, you can bend the tabs over and solder and get a great connection. A removal tool is only a few bucks and it would be a good idea to get one of those.
Tom

Those are great....looks like I'll go with them. Thanks Tom!
Tom
patssle,
You are welcome. Make sure to order a couple of extra electrical male and female connectors for practice getting them on the wire just right.
Ask for their catalogue, full of neat electrical stuff for projects!
Tom
Mike Bellis
There are some pretty good deals on complete kits on ebay.
andys
McMaster-Carr has weatherproof single connectors in kit form (matching housings/pins/seals) for less than $7.00.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dc-voltage-connectors/=sf94tn

Andys
Tom
Those do look exactly like the weather pack connectors from delcity.net.
For single connectors, include a male and female plastic housing, two seals, and the two electrical connectors = $2.60 per complete connector. For the three pack add about an additional $1.50. Same thing at a cheaper price. It comes down to who you feel more comfortable ordering from. I have ordered so much stuff from delcity over the years, I just e-mail my sales person and she works out all of the details on price and shipping and sends me the total.
Tom
PThompson509
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 15 2014, 02:24 PM) *

McMaster-Carr has weatherproof single connectors in kit form (matching housings/pins/seals) for less than $7.00.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dc-voltage-connectors/=sf94tn

Andys

I've used those for my electric motor connectors - note that you WILL need a crimper for those - doing it by hand just won't cut it (I've tried and failed). Oh - get the ratcheting kind - much kinder to the hand.

Very solid connections, too.
patssle
What crimper are you using? The one listed on DelCity is $126. That's not a good price!
Dtjaden
Try this for a crimper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CCAEJ...=UTF8&psc=1
Two steps instead of one but for a small number connections it works fine.
Tom
patssle,
I use the crimpers in the picture in conjunction with the needle nose pliers. With practice I can get just as good a crimp as the expensive ones. The correct ones are automotive style crimpers and you may be able to go to an auto parts place and borrow a correct set for a day. Same crimpers that are used for replacing a terminal on your headlight plugs that plug into the rear of the headlight. Once crimped and pushed in, they snap in and you need to release the tab to remove them.
Here is a picture of the lay out of the parts to assemble. Make sure you put on the seal before stripping the wire and crimping. Female to left, male on right. Bottom two housings are three pack.
Tom
patssle
I just wanted to say these Weatherpak quick connectors are awesome and easy to make/use! Don't need any special tools either. I definitely recommend them. Thanks again Tom!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.