Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with rewiring Leeloo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Hey Guys,

I need some help in rewiring Leeloo. Instead of cutting down the factory harness, I'd rather just make another one as the wiring is vintage 1971 and pretty gross. Since I'm really cleaning the car up, it seems to make sense.

The scope of work is to wire the car as a race car. Ignition, brake lights, etc., but no other lighting. I plan on putting in a digital dash (AIM, Motec) and running a Traqmate for datalogging as all of my files from my previous cars are Traqmate. The car will have a toggle switch power on with push button starter circuit.

Questions:

1. What gauge wire and where can I purchase bulk with various colors for a good price?

2. What brand fuse panel? Do I need a fuse panel?

3. How many relay's needed? Where is a good source for that?

Leeloo has been undergoing a slow but substantial transformation. Mostly we have put her on a diet to make her lean. Roger Sheridan top and lids for the weight reduction and gutting the doors and dash. I also had her 901 refreshed with a new R&P, new syncros, new bearings and a Wavetrac TBD installed. Yesterday I picked her up from TCDesign with her new cage installed, including chassis re-enforcements and shock tower tie ins at all four corners.

I'm going to weigh her later today and take a few pics to share. I still need to decide (and save money for):

1. Shock choice
2. Tire and wheel combo's/sizes
3. Body work mods, including flare sizes and aero (wing)
4. WEVO 915 (I have the 915 box, I just need to start purchasing the WEVO bits)

I think due to my work schedule I will be primarily running the car in PCA Club Racing for the near future, so the car looks to be placed firmly in the GT3 class. Body work wise I really like the GT look, but it won't allow a very large tire on the car. I'm thinking either cave in and use Sheridan's FG and start hacking into her or using a body guy I know to widen the flares like my old 914, JLO.

Here is a pic of JLO with widened GT flares that accomodate 22x10x16 fronts and 23.5x11.5x16 rear Hoosier slicks on 16x10 rims:

IPB Image

Any help on the wiring questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill P.
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 17 2014, 06:07 PM) *

Hey Guys,

I need some help in rewiring Leeloo. Instead of cutting down the factory harness, I'd rather just make another one as the wiring is vintage 1971 and pretty gross. Since I'm really cleaning the car up, it seems to make sense.

The scope of work is to wire the car as a race car. Ignition, brake lights, etc., but no other lighting. I plan on putting in a digital dash (AIM, Motec) and running a Traqmate for datalogging as all of my files from my previous cars are Traqmate. The car will have a toggle switch power on with push button starter circuit.

Questions:

1. What gauge wire and where can I purchase bulk with various colors for a good price?

2. What brand fuse panel? Do I need a fuse panel?

3. How many relay's needed? Where is a good source for that?

Leeloo has been undergoing a slow but substantial transformation. Mostly we have put her on a diet to make her lean. Roger Sheridan top and lids for the weight reduction and gutting the doors and dash. I also had her 901 refreshed with a new R&P, new syncros, new bearings and a Wavetrac TBD installed. Yesterday I picked her up from TCDesign with her new cage installed, including chassis re-enforcements and shock tower tie ins at all four corners.

I'm going to weigh her later today and take a few pics to share. I still need to decide (and save money for):

1. Shock choice
2. Tire and wheel combo's/sizes
3. Body work mods, including flare sizes and aero (wing)
4. WEVO 915 (I have the 915 box, I just need to start purchasing the WEVO bits)

I think due to my work schedule I will be primarily running the car in PCA Club Racing for the near future, so the car looks to be placed firmly in the GT3 class. Body work wise I really like the GT look, but it won't allow a very large tire on the car. I'm thinking either cave in and use Sheridan's FG and start hacking into her or using a body guy I know to widen the flares like my old 914, JLO.

Here is a pic of JLO with widened GT flares that accomodate 22x10x16 fronts and 23.5x11.5x16 rear Hoosier slicks on 16x10 rims:

Any help on the wiring questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill P.

Nice set up there. Good luck with your quest on the wiring piratenanner.gif
andrew15
When I wired the 914 track car, I....

1) Used only white for powered and black for ground in various gauges. (+ red for large gauge battery/starter/ignition switch wires)
2) Marked all the ends with small labels and clear shrink tube indicating what they were
3) Wired up a 10-pole fuse panel from Pegasus racing
4) Used larger gauge wire and heavy duty rockers for things like pumps and lights - no relays to fail.

It's a simple harness and simple to diagnose any problems with the labeling on the terminal ends

Regards,
Andrew M
Matt Romanowski
Wire size is totally dependent on amperage draw and length. You have to figure out what is going to be on each switch and go from there. No relays are needed. Plan for an extra circuit in each area (one front, middle, and rear) so you have them in the harness and don't have to add to it.

In my opinion, it's worth spending a little more and getting all top notch products. Get aircraft breakers, wire, and switches. Use high quality terminals where needed and Deutsch connectors. It will add a little bit of money (a couple hundred bucks) but it won't fail later and is small money versus the labor involved.

Wirecare.com is great for heatshrink, prowireusa.com is great for wire, switches, and breakers. Also check out http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html for an idea of what goes into a top level harness.

As to the data - a MoTeC or AiM dash will do the logging, so no need for the Traqmate. Also, it's very important to plan it all right now so you don't run redundant wires. If you have an AiM or MoteC system, it will display and record all the engine metrics (oil pressure and temp, RPM, etc). The analysis software is also much stronger on those systems than Traqmate.

I'm an AiM dealer - shoot me an email at matt@trailbrake.net and I can help you with planning out your dash/data needs. I did this to our car 2 years ago and it was the best thing we've done to it.

Here are a couple photos of what I did.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Matt Romanowski
Here is an article I did on planning your data system as well. You can use the same sort of image to plan out the electrical as well http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-article...anning-a-system
nine14cats
Thanks for the info guys!

Matt, I will drop you a note.

Thanks again,

Bill P.
SirAndy
As for the flares, contact McMark, he still has a set of extra wide fiberglass GT flares that i won't need anymore.

They should be good to run 10" in the front and 12" in the rear.
idea.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 20 2014, 10:22 AM) *

As for the flares, contact McMark, he still has a set of extra wide fiberglass GT flares that i won't need anymore.

They should be good to run 10" in the front and 12" in the rear.
idea.gif

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for the offer! I am very interested. I'll contact you off board.

Bill P.
brant
Spruce aircraft supply sells light weight aircraft rated wire
nine14cats
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 21 2014, 05:01 PM) *

Spruce aircraft supply sells light weight aircraft rated wire

Thanks Brant!

I'll have a look.

Bill P.
Matt Romanowski
I think Brant got it reversed. It's aircraftspruce.com.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.