Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vin number stamped in body ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
seareef228
Hey guys my vin was painted over . How was it originally ? primer??
Tom_T
At the factory it was just masked out with tape when painted & left bare metal to stamp the VIN.

You can recreate that look by scoring the paint with an Xacto knife & straight edge along the faint flat area, then masking the outer area, & then using Q-tips & acetone to carefully bubble & peel the area to bare metal.

However, you'll want to immediately protect it with something like either clear Rustoleum, or else regularly give it a thin film swipe of WD40/3-in-1 Oil/etc.
seareef228
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 18 2014, 09:52 AM) *

At the factory it was just masked out with tape when painted & left bare metal to stamp the VIN.

You can recreate that look by scoring the paint with an Xacto knife & straight edge along the faint flat area, then masking the outer area, & then using Q-tips & acetone to carefully bubble & peel the area to bare metal.

However, you'll want to immediately protect it with something like either clear Rustoleum, or else regularly give it a thin film swipe of WD40/3-in-1 Oil/etc.

Thank You Tom just the answer I was looking for
1970 Neun vierzehn
here's an OEM finish.....
seareef228
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 20 2014, 11:04 AM) *

here's an OEM finish.....

that's awesome
Thank you so much that really helps
davep
I'm certain the factory used some kind of a clear coat to protect the area. On the 911 they generally used a brush with some black paint to protect it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.