Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What part fell of my engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ovilla
I'm hoping that someone else with a 75 2.0 can chime in and tell me what is missing here. Is there a screw that fell out? Look at the pic, about an inch from the tip of the screwdriver in the pic. The engine will barely start and won't stay on. Its sputtering and wanting to die.

Thanks for your help!
TheCabinetmaker
it hard to tell, but looks like the throttle cable is coming apart. That should not have anything to do with the engine running. Disconnect the cable from the throttle body and see if that lets it idle.
Java2570
If you are pointing at that hole by the screwdriver, I think that's one of the structural tubes in the
air plenum and they don't have anything in them....it's just a tube that runs from top to bottom of
the plenum to add rigidity. I think we need some better photos of the throttle cable, it's hard to
see whats happening there. Check the CHT sensor resistance to see if it's in need of replacement.
It could be giving you too much fuel and causing the running problems.
ovilla
Thanks for the feedback on the hole in the plenum. Glad to hear I'm not missing anything.

The throttle cable is fine. I press the gas peddle and watch the RPMS go up accordingly. I also changed the CHT sensor this morning too with a correct one for the 75 2.0.

One thing I noticed, with my foot down (to keep the motor from shutting off) I'm getting a really bad vibration. I just put in new Bosch Platinum plugs the other day, along with new cap, rotor, and wires. It almost feels like it's a timing issue. I'm going to swap out my coil and take a look at the points and condensor.

'73-914kid
I'm gonna beat the cap'n to it.. get rid of the platinum plugs and get a set of ngk plugs, or good old Bosch copper. Platinum plugs have never and will never work well with type 4s.
Java2570
Definitely check all your components and if you are (I'm assuming) running stock D Jet, make sure all
your components are correct for your model year. Check out Brad Anders site: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
It lists a lot of pertinent info regarding D Jet and how to make it play nice.
Check your timing and valve adjustment!! Lots of things can add up to make a car run crappy....
start with the basics.
And I agree with Ethan (73_914kid) - use only NGK or Bosch copper plugs!
Java2570
I just noticed your location is very near Peoria, IL....if you need a good shop, give Brad Mayeur a call
at 914LTD.
Cap'n Krusty
That vibration is likely a miss. First thing? Get rid of those junk plugs! Nothing works as well as the original copper plugs. W7CC, or NGK B6ES. Then check the wires at the plug connectors, the injector plugs and the ground point on the right side of the top of the engine under the intake plenum. Did you use Genuine Bosch cap and rotor? How about the wires? The Bosch set doesn't fit. Use Beru wires. GPR, Pelican, and others sell these. The coil, points, and condenser aren't gonna create these symptoms. BTW, use ONLY Bosch points (01 011) and the correct Bosch condenser for your specific application. Anything else is just throwing money out the door.

The Cap'n
luskesq
Adding to what the Cap'n suggested, confirm that you didn't reverse any of your ignition wires. That would cause your symptom.

Keith
ovilla
I ended up doing two things to it yesterday, so let's just say that it was one of the two that solved the issue here. I swapped out the ignition switch, which was found to be cracked (see pic). I then also installed a Pertronix II that I had recently bought from Brad Mayeur (914 Limited). The points looked okay, but I can honestly say that the car runs the best it's ever run and now has a consistent idle to it too. The car runs beautifully, and that's with the platinum plugs still on. I'm going to order NGK's tomorrow though and swap out the Platinums.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. Greatly appreciated!!!

TheCabinetmaker
No need to order ngk. Your local Napa or others carries them
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.