Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which 911 oil tanks for a six?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
If not, what are my other options in a nutshell..don't want to read through those long post for info that might not be there. Also, what else will I need, filler neck and lid? stainless hoses, etc?

Doug C
brant
None of the 911 ones will fit in the stock location.

however it has been done before... People have placed one in a different location. I've seen a pic of a rear trunk placement, although I wouldn't think that is such a great place to move weight to.

If your going to use a non stock location you can also buy a racing oil tank, and put it in the front trunk or something...

but any non-stock location is going to have its trade-offs and you will loose space or have to buy long more plumbing.
Mueller
yes, it can be used, but not in the original /6 location...you have to get "creative" with how and where it's mounted IPB Image IPB Image ...I've seen it done.....

no idea about the hoses and such....
Cap'n Krusty
The 914/6 oil tank fits right, no 911 one fits, AFIK. I prefer the stock oil lines. SS braided hoses are a leak waiting to happen. Look racy, though. With the tank, you'll need the filler neck, the oil filter console, and some seals, gaskets, and o-rings. Oh, a dipstick, too. HTH, The Cap'n
DougC
thanks for clearing that up guys..

Doug C
Trekkor
read through those long post

Hey! IPB Image Here's a nugget from mine...

Vellios Aluminum tank. Factory location and large capacity.

KT
Trekkor
Factory location is an easy choice... All holes are marked ( almost ). IPB Image

Easy install.

KT
Dr Evil
You can get the odds and ends in the resources section from Rich Johnson. Great guy.
John
SS braided hoses are a leak waiting to happen. Look racy, though.

What?

Perhaps the cheap-o ones are a leak waiting to happen, but I only use teflon lined ss braided hoses for oil lines.

I go to the hydraulic hose store and they happily make up hoses for me with proper hydraulic fittings instead of those aluminum ones I see so often.

We went with a round tank and mounted it up front (Peterson Enterprises I believe).
It even has a drain on it. (I would recommend getting the sight gauge for it)
michel richard
Doug,

If you're doing a conversion, but can't be troubled to read through a bunch of old posts to find information, you should make sure you have the motivation and the staying power to see your project through.

Michel Richard
914 2.2 E MFI
joea9146
I thought the Hydraulic hoses did not like High Heat.
Do you have Pictures of the fittings ad the Hoses you are using and other Details
like Brand Name of Hoses
John
I'll post a better pic when I get home tonight.

I don't have manufacturing details on the hoses.

The guys at the hydraulic stores that I visited told me they were good for the application (actually overkill). It is standard teflon lined stainless steel braided hose with steel fittings. The fittings are all swaged on to the ends of the hoses (not a DIY process). The hose assemblies are rated at something like 1500psi.

Never had a hose leak in the 18 years of track time that some of the hoses have seen.

From the prices that I have seen for the Earls hoses and fittings, the actual hydraulic lines were less expensive and professionally made up to boot.
neo914-6
Hey!  Here's a nugget from mine...

Trekkor,
Where'd you get this and what is a good price to pay? Are you running the 901 gearbox? Seems like 2.7's aren't too pricey so I'm thinking 6 again. My car (Bill P's) is set up for it already...
DougC
If you're doing a conversion, but can't be troubled to read through a bunch of old posts to find information, you should make sure you have the motivation and the staying power to see your project through.

Michel Richard
914 2.2 E MFI

I was waiting for someone to say something like this.. I probably should have said "re-read" because I've read everything written on this subject for the last few months, atleast on this forum. Actually been researching all forms of conversions and sometimes the info starts running together in my mind, so I didn't want to go back through an 18 page thread for a simple answer. I've started jotting down six notes now.

Doug C
michel richard
That's allright. I'll be happy to help with your conversion !

I have found that I could buy hydraulic hose that fits the stock hose fittings. I figure that these hoses don't see hundreds of pounds of pressure, certainly not thousands, so my own view is that it's easy to overkill and overspend in this area.

These hoses don't see tons of heat either. Normal oil temp is low two hundreds, and if it goes into the three hundreds, you've got a ton of other problems, in any event.

Michel
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jan 19 2005, 10:14 AM)
Hey!  Here's a nugget from mine...

Trekkor,
Where'd you get this and what is a good price to pay? Are you running the 901 gearbox? Seems like 2.7's aren't too pricey so I'm thinking 6 again. My car (Bill P's) is set up for it already...

I am running the same tank as Trekkor. Bought it new about 2 years ago for around $375. Sat around for another year before I got a 914 to do a conversion on. Good tank, has baffle, fits in stock location, uses later oil filter, already set up for AN fitings. IPB Image
Trekkor

This will hurt...It came out of your car. IPB Image

I'm running the 901 box.

KT
Jeroen
anyone know if those Peterson tanks are available with 30mm metric fittings?
sixnotfour
http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/tanks.html

-12 to 30mm adapter needed, You could aways weld on what you want.
IronHillRestorations
The only tanks I'd use would be the (priced as though they are gold plated) factory tanks or the aluminum fabricated tanks that GPR makes. The GPR tank is the lightest oil tank made for a 914-6, uses factory fitings or AN, and bolts up in the stock location. You can use all the factory tank boots, which makes for a very clean install. The factory filler neck fits perfectly too.

I think Veli-hose is out of business, which is just as well. The cast aluminum tanks have some advantages, but are heavy, and then there is lack of customer support, blah, blah. You can't use the factory boots, and they don't fit against the inner fender as well as the factory tanks, or the GPR tank. Also the factory filler neck doesn't fit right either.

Yes you can use a aftermarket "generic" tank, and many have done so sucessfully. My opinion is that in the overall scheme of a six conversion, a few hundred dollars more for a oil tank that fits right is spit on the griddle.

The dry sump system is the life blood of your six engine so be sure you do it properly.
John
What is the GPR tank as I am unfamiliar with it. Is there a link or a pic of it somewhere?

I will be eventually doing a street car (mine) and am interested in a "factory style" tank to be located in the fender.
neo914-6
This will hurt...It came out of your car.  
It want's it back! IPB Image At least Bill didn't part with the SMART bar! IPB Image
Trekkor
the SMART bar!

Because I already have one...

You have a great car to build on.
John
I said I would post a pic of an oil line with fittings. Here is the return line connected to the engine case.

It is a -12 (or 3/4") line.

The 90 degree swivel as well as the metric o-ring to hydraulic fitting (JIC) adapter were all supplied by the hydraulic hose shop.

They are all steel fittings.
Kerrys914
IPB Image That is one of the fittings I need IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Do you remember the price for that hose (engine to tank)?
John
Kerrys914,

I'm sorry, I have forgotten what the prices of the hoses were (it's been 12-15 years since I put the 3.2 in there). At the time, the Aeroquip and the Earls hoses+ends were more money.

IIRC, that fitting was by far cheaper from the hydraulic hose store than it was from anywhere else I found. And it is steel and not aluminum. I could try to dig for reciepts but that may take a while (a week or more)...

Let me know and I'll help with anything I can.
Trekkor
I found the metric threaded -12AN fitting for the side of the 911 case at "Brit's" out at Sears.
I used a 120 degree hose end and made my own line to the tank. No leaks.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.