Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look what I found
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
endoquest
I'll just start with some snappies and add text later. I found the car through a casual conversation with a friend who had a neighbor with an old car sitting in the garage. After changing the coil, some fuel lines and cleaning the tank, it fired up and runs surprisingly well. I'll go into details soon, off to work for now....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
endoquest

The Hell Hole has been "repaired" but still looks decent.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
endoquest

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
endoquest
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
GREAT looking car even with the minor issues shown. piratenanner.gif

welcome.png
TheCabinetmaker
welcome to the 914 world. As long as you have a photobucket acct, you should learn how to use it. Either load your photos into an album and provide a link to the album, or,
Copy the image code of a photo and paste the pic into the body of your post. I am not going to individually load that many separate pics. I have better ways to spend my time.. thank you
stugray
IPB Image
KELTY360
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 19 2014, 09:21 AM) *

welcome to the 914 world. As long as you have a photobucket acct, you should learn how to use it. Either load your photos into an album and provide a link to the album, or,
Copy the image code of a photo and paste the pic into the body of your post. I am not going to individually load that many separate pics. I have better ways to spend my time.. thank you

agree.gif
Rleog
Goooooaaaaaaallllllllllllllll. !

Nice score.
poorsche914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 19 2014, 01:40 PM) *
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 19 2014, 09:21 AM) *
agree.gif

Click on one of the images and it takes you to the Photobucket account. From there you can click arrows to advance.

driving.gif
Qarl
Nice find! Jealous
TheCabinetmaker
But, but,, I don't wanna click on a bunch of pics Steve. I want them posted. I'm as lazy as he is. Wah!
76-914
welcome.png
endoquest
I'll fix the photos now, my bad. I've been a 911 guy for a long time but I had to jump on this and now I've found the 914 bug. Thanks for the intro fellas!

I'm going to hold off on my purchase price, I hate to see grown people cry on the internet. Cheers
TheCabinetmaker
Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks Endo. Nice find.
Java2570
welcome.png That looks like a really nice one!
saigon71
Wow...that looks like a very nice find - well done and welcome.png
Harpo
Congratulation on a nice find. Many of us were not so lucky. welcome.png
dw914six
QUOTE(endoquest @ Jun 19 2014, 07:14 AM) *

I'll just start with some snappies and add text later. I found the car through a casual conversation with a friend who had a neighbor with an old car sitting in the garage. After changing the coil, some fuel lines and cleaning the tank, it fired up and runs surprisingly well. I'll go into details soon, off to work for now....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Man, what a nice find. beerchug.gif A 73 that looks great. One of my favorite models and colors.
billh1963
Looks to be an Appearance Group car...major score! beerchug.gif
endoquest
Vielen Dank fur die Antwertwen Meine Freunde! (thank you for the answers my friends!)

The car has problems, the clear coat on the original paint (code 96D, Silver) failed long ago and needs a strip, fill and exterior recoat. There are also quite a few dents, scratches and a front bumper hit. All of the interior paint is good. The car is 95-99% rust free but needs attention in the battery tray and various small areas. All of the suspension areas, fenders, front and rear corners are good. Still working on the drive train, all of the rubber/braided hoses are old and I had to replace a few just to get it running. I'm sure there will be a lot of work on the drive train. Did I mention that this car has been sitting for fifteen years? All of the tires were flat but after pumping them up they are still holding air after three weeks, cool!
I just dropped the car off to Eric Jones Motorsports to get the brakes functioning and general inspection. I am too busy to tinker at the moment and I want to get this car on the road. He's a top tier tech in Eugene, very pro with Porsche. Once we get it on the road I will deal with cosmetics and originality. More later...

Click to view attachment
Trim great, paint bad.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(endoquest @ Jun 19 2014, 07:42 PM) *
Vielen Dank fur die Antwertwen Meine Freunde!

Close enough ... poke.gif

PS: welcome.png
Allan
aktion035.gif
relentless
Very cool. I lived in Monroe when I went to the U of O. There are some nice roads to the coast to take the 914 on.
endoquest
Here's the coup de grace, I bought it for $2,000. Clear title, lots of documentation, it's running and in pretty good shape. It needs brakes, paint and small mechanical fixes. Once I'm there I will decide if I want to go full restoration or not. More snappies...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
endoquest
Paint Code 96D (Silver) was recalled by Porsche but the original owner didn't get it repainted. The clear coat has failed on the upper part of all the exterior paint. Everything inside is still fine so a good exterior strip/paint should do the trick, comments please.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Nice car- I would keep it silver welcome.png
endoquest
Definitely keeping the original color. The interior is really good but there are some seam problems on the driver seat. All the dash lights work and the leather wrapped steering wheel might be original.

I sure would like to have some of you pick this car apart to point me in a few directions. I've been an air cooled Porsche guy for 10 years but I'm a complete 914 noob. Thanks for the help!
orthobiz
Nitpicking:

I don't know if any of the metallic paints back in the day were clear coated...
Steering wheel wrap was added, didn't come that way.

More pics and more nitpicks so to speak.

Other than that, it looks terrific!

Paul
endoquest
Stock gauges and controls?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
NORD

Host a BBQ and invite the Oregon Group over for a go over of the car. You will learn more in one day about these cars.

welcome.png
jaxdream
Pull the rocker covers , clean - check out what's under them . It'll give an idea of hidden rust - if any .

GR8 looking car there , even better price !!!!

welcome.png

Jack
endoquest
[quote name='NORD' date='Jun 24 2014, 06:21 AM' post='2053797']
Host a BBQ and invite the Oregon Group over for a go over of the car. You will learn more in one day about these cars.

Great idea NORD, and I brew beer too. Haven't heard of the "Oregon Group" but I think I qualify. Problem is location, I live about 2 hours south of Portland. Still, great idea, I'll have to organize something.

Jax, once I drop the motor I will give it a thorough scrutinizing, including an oil analysis. Thanks for the tips
green914
Looking Good! welcome.png
DarkMonohue
QUOTE(endoquest @ Jun 21 2014, 04:53 PM) *
I sure would like to have some of you pick this car apart...
Ask and ye shall receive. As it happens, I've been picking this car apart, physically, for the last few days. Even got around to putting some stuff back together.

Brakes are on and done. New rotors all around (old ones too thin to work with), new front wheel bearings and seals, calipers rebuilt all around, braided brake lines, new 19mm master cylinder. The brake pedal was sticking, so I pulled the pedal cluster out to freshen it up, and we're waiting for a couple of penny-ante bushings for it before it can go back in.

Worked on the fuel system this afternoon. Flow out of the lines is more than adequate by the armpit test. All fuel lines around the pump look to be original, and hoses are long overdue for replacement. One repair section in the engine bay was conspicuously marked NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION but the rest appear original. Those will get replaced along with any suspect vacuum lines, etc.

Cuda911
Wow... great find... Fantastic!!!!!

Here's my similar find from Craig's List yard sale ad a couple months ago, to give you an idea of what yours will look like once you get it repainted:
euro911
Complaints about posting a small quantity of pix? ... sorry, I don't get it confused24.gif

Nice find, especially for the price. Sounds like you're in good hands with the repair work being performed.

Don't know how mechanically adept you are, but once those repairs are done, a lot of the maintenance and minor repairs can be done by yourself (if so desired). Probably a good idea to learn most of the little 'keep it running' issues anyway so you don't get stranded somewhere.

Personally, I enjoyed seeing the pix confused24.gif

Welcome

welcome.png
endoquest
Big shout out to DarkMonohue, first time poster, long time listener, like me. But he is a kick-ass tech for Eric Jones Motorsports. Good jokes too.

This is my busy season and I have NO time to work on this car but I want to get it back to a daily driver ASAP. It's a great barn find and DM is kicking arse on the re-fit. Paint will be the next hurdle.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 15 2014, 10:15 PM) *

Wow... great find... Fantastic!!!!!

Here's my similar find from Craig's List yard sale ad a couple months ago, to give you an idea of what yours will look like once you get it repainted:

And just look at those hubcaps!

Paul
ipadstott
I have a 73 2.0 litre, yours is in really good shape and glad to hear you are keeping it original. I replaced the points in mine with the electronic module kit and you might want to consider that, also I changed the oil 3 times in the first 2000 miles to "clean" it out and was glad I did that, first 2 were quite dirty. Have fun with it and welcome to the club!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
endoquest
Thanks to all of you. This will be a slow rebuild but I hope to have a running car soon thanks to DM. I'm really busy with work right now, might have to wait until the end of summer. Then I will replace all the rubber bits and do a good re-paint. In the meantime my wife and I intend to drive it!

Cheers!
RenoRoger
[quote name='ipadstott' date='Jul 16 2014, 01:08 PM' post='2062035']
I have a 73 2.0 litre, yours is in really good shape and glad to hear you are keeping it original. I replaced the points in mine with the electronic module kit and you might want to consider that...

I have had bad experience with "electronic module kits", Pertronics specifically. I have had three of them on two different cars and they all eventually failed. One lasted 24,000 miles, one failed after 200 miles. The third one came with a 912E I bought two years ago. the car would hiccup after a one hour drive and then smooth out. Eventually it got worse. I suspected fuel injection problems but decided to reinstall points. The problems went away immediately.

RenoRoger
euro911
I've been running a Pertronix for a bit over two years without issue (so far). Did you contact Pertronix to see if they'd do failure analysis on the unit?

I also have a couple of other modules, 'Hot Spark' (I think) ... but haven't tried them yet. I keep one in the mobile tool box, as well as a spare set of points and a condenser.
endoquest
OK, three year post coma but what the hell. This car is still in the same condition with some more improvements. Eric Jones just did some more functional bits, like shift linkage, instrument stuff, targa top seals, etc. The whole idea is to get my wife behind the wheel and on track,road without any hassles. Eric is a great tech and a good racing friend of mine.
Just today, however, I've also just replaced the malfunctioning seat belts and will re-upholster the seats this month. The back pad was never removed and the safety belt system is still intact, including the passenger seat sensor. I'm hoping to just leave the seat belt and P-seat sensor unplugged. Not a 74 so no big deal.
The car runs and drives LIKE NEW! I'm not kidding. It's a blast.
Actually considering this as a track instruction car, frickin awesome driver with perfect balance!
Still has the bad paint/clearcoat patina and pealing sails. No big deal, just drive it!

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(endoquest @ Feb 5 2017, 11:07 PM) *

OK, three year post coma but what the hell. This car is still in the same condition with some more improvements. Eric Jones just did some more functional bits, like shift linkage, instrument stuff, targa top seals, etc. The whole idea is to get my wife behind the wheel and on track,road without any hassles. Eric is a great tech and a good racing friend of mine.
Just today, however, I've also just replaced the malfunctioning seat belts and will re-upholster the seats this month. The back pad was never removed and the safety belt system is still intact, including the passenger seat sensor. I'm hoping to just leave the seat belt and P-seat sensor unplugged. Not a 74 so no big deal.
The car runs and drives LIKE NEW! I'm not kidding. It's a blast.
Actually considering this as a track instruction car, frickin awesome driver with perfect balance!
Still has the bad paint/clearcoat patina and pealing sails. No big deal, just drive it!

agree.gif

Just drive it!

You made a good investment. Original cars are getting rare, so by doing nothing you will probably see appreciation automatically. Enjoy!
eyesright
[quote name='endoquest' date='Jun 20 2014, 03:29 PM' post='2052636']
Here's the coup de grace, I bought it for $2,000. Clear title, lots of documentation, it's running and in pretty good shape. It needs brakes, paint and small mechanical fixes. Once I'm there I will decide if I want to go full restoration or not. More snappies...

I can't bear to look! icon8.gif
second wind
Incredible find!!! The different colored hoses in engine compartment tell me it is an original never messed with car. Try to keep the colors if replacing those hoses as it adds originality. You should be wearing a mask as you stole it!!
gg
endoquest
Good idea with the engine hoses. The only ones I replaced were the rotted fuel lines.
Last week I installed new seat belts from SeatbeltPlanet.com. Easy install and they look completely stock. And they retract!
Today I'm re-upholstering the seats by following an excellent post from this site. I bought the seat kits from World Upholstery. I hope it goes well.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.