Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injection trouble shooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
Last weekened i decided to test my pressure sensor to see if it would hold vacuum. I dont have a vacuum tester so sombody suggested for me just to suck on the hose running into to the sensor to see if it would hold any. It would hold pressure for about 5 seconds. I know it it supposed to hold 15 pound forever so i need a new one. I know that new is always better than rebuilt but the only new one i found was 1100 dollars and with the rebuilt one being only 135 dollars with a two year warrenty so the rebuilt is the one i want to go with. My question to you guys is what consits of the rebuild? Do they just fix what is broken or do they replace it with a good used part? Do the rebuilt ones perform as well or close to new because my car runs ok right now. It idles at 2000 rpm but does not hunt and the aar is stuck close. It also has no pickup below 3300rpm but after 3300 it goes as well as a 1.7L. goes. It also get bad gas milage. Could a leaky pressure sensor cause all these problems? The motor is a stock1.7L that was completely rebuilt about 2500 miles ago and the the point, and rotor were replaced and the dwell was set.
Thanks alot,
James
SLITS
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/manif...sure_sensor.htm

Check these two sites for information.....and if the MPS was rebuilt by Bret Instruments, it is calibrated correctly.
Bleyseng
A blown MPS usually means the car runs really rich, like gas smell out of the tailpipe. IF everything is in topnotch prefect shape spot on then the car still will run just ok. If anything isn't prefect then the car runs like a dog cuz it can't burn the rich mixture. Pickup! forget pickup. Off idle throttle response! forgetaboutit. Fouled plugs are another sign.

Test the MPS witha vacuum tester as they are only $20 at FLAPS.
Rebuilt MPS vary...when I have some available they have good used diaphrams installed with the MPS carefully resealed witha quality sealant. NO LEAKS so they hold vacuum for 15minutes or longer. Great throttle response!
Other rebuilts I have seen have a repaired diaphram and crappie O rings seals. They usually leak and have very poor throttle response, in other words- on or off.

Locate a good used one as there are 1.7 ones around.

Geoff
jporsche914
Today i went to the store and bought an actual vacum tester and it would only hold 5 psi for one second. I could not get it to go higher than 5psi. Where would i find a good rebuilt pressure sensor?
Bleyseng
Post on the classifieds for one. All 1.7l use the same one, 2.0l use two kinds-037 and 043's.
HPH has some good ones in stock I hear. You don't want to buy one that has had the expoxy removed nor the rivets removed. These MPS's have been tampered with and need to be calibrated.
Geoff
r_towle
I might have one...

Give the a part number that is stamped on the sensor and I will look tommorow.

Rich
Bleyseng
its for a 1.7l so a 049 is the correct one for a 73
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.