Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sanity Check....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
Hi All

Getting closer on finishing up my 6 rust-or-ation

And now its time to think about motors.

Here's the deal.

I'm in Lincoln NE, smack dab in the middle of the technological wasteland.

Local machine shops are good at tractors and V8 chevys/ford/mopars. So I have to ship most everything out for machine work. Local exotic mechanic said I could trust them cleaning valve covers and cam boxes

Dilemma 1: I have an offer to purchase my 2.2E MFI motor that is complete and rotates freely but has not started in at least 20 years. Offer is for $6,250 Is that a fair price?

Dilemma 2: I have an aluminum case 2.7 engine with 90mm Nakisil cylinders, 2.7 euro MFI pistons, 72T heads, solex cams. That is apart and has no signs on damage. I.e. rebuild heads, polish crank and cams and put it back together. BTW case needs to have piston squinters added. Thread about the motor is on another thread in our forum.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=235942&hl=

Options:

1) Rebuild the 2.7. $4,300 Estimating $1.400 in machine work, $500 in shipping stuff, $2,300 in parts (gaskets, seals, bearings, rings). Additional machine work/upgrade would to upgrade the oil pump and add bearings for the intermediate shaft. Am I close on this estimate ? confused24.gif I have a set of non-Italian Weber's that need to be rebuilt.

2) Sell the 2.7 also, apart. Guessing value is about $4500. Buy a 3.0 or 3.2 with injection Estimating $6,500-8,500. Sell of the non necessary engine parts (911 tin, SSI's, muffler, oil cooler) $700+ Then bolt the 6 bits on and put it in and be done with it.

Just not sure which way to go. Half says, rebuild the 2.7 and try to be ready in a year, while the other half says, less projects.

And I could be ready by fall to take it for a spin.

914 World members, your thoughts please.
SirAndy
Sell everything off and buy a 3.2L or 3.6L with modern FI ...
smile.gif
Cairo94507
I agree with Andy; FI is the way to go. I bought an '89 3.2 for my car and hope one day to see it in the car.....and hear it running biggrin.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2014, 05:00 PM) *

I agree with Andy; FI is the way to go. I bought an '89 3.2 for my car and hope one day to see it in the car.....and hear it running biggrin.gif

That would be golden!

mellow.gif
mr914
How expensive is it to do a 3.6

$8-10k for motor and FI

Fuel Pump and other parts?

3K?

Donor CAR....

Gee honey, I pulled it out to fix a couple of oil drips. Oops, I put it back in the wrong car? lol-2.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jun 19 2014, 03:44 PM) *

How expensive is it to do a 3.6

$8-10k for motor and FI

Fuel Pump and other parts?

3K?

I did mine for about $10k 8 years ago, $7k for the engine and another $3k for parts etc.

Not sure if you can still find a good 3.6L engine for $7k these days ...
idea.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2014, 01:44 PM) *

Sell everything off and buy a 3.2L or 3.6L with modern FI ...
smile.gif

I agree with Andy.
I built a 2.7 RS spec engine for my 6 a few years ago.
It's ready to go but still attached to the engine stand.
I got well over $6000.00 into the engine w/o the induction or exhaust.
If I had to do it over I would go for a 95 3.6 fi motor .
Justinp71
I've been running a 3.0 with carbs(now 3.2) for the last 6 years and I absolutely love it! Once its tuned and fuel system clean, no problems at all for me. It really depends on what you want from the car, modern FI is a good way to go if you want it to act like a daily driver, but I prefer the sound and simplicity of the carbs. Either way if that 2.7 case hasnt been touched expect alot of cost to have it re-machined, they normally need an align bore and time-certs, Wayne talks alot about it in further detail in his book, with costs from like 15 years ago.

The other problem with 3.0-3.6's these days is they are getting old also, so choose wisely.
naro914
go the 3.2 route.
While I think a 3.6 would be awesome in a 914, a 3.2 is cheaper all around.
I got mine for $4k WITH wiring harness and ECU. and sure...while I stole it, you can probably pick one up for +/-$6k. everything else you would need to do to the car (tins, oil cooling, etc) woudl be the same with the 2.7 as with the 3.2, but....the reliability of the 3.2 is wonderful. Power and torque are plenty, parts are readily available, etc.

I upgraded from a 2.7 in Huey (from a 2.2, to 2.5 to 2.7) and wish I had done it years earlier. NOTHING better than getting in the car after 4 months of it sitting...turning the key and it starts right up.

Oh wait, beating all the newer cars in an autocross is MUCH better...which I do every time smile.gif
mr914
This is a factory 6 we are speaking about.

Have offer from a local guy for the 2.2e. Less, 6 bits. Pulling the motor tomorrow. And getting a leakdown test.

Still trying to come up with a good approximate number for rebuilding the 2.7 in this present economy.

No real luck of finding a 3.6 Found one 3.2 listed and a 3.0.

I agree about the modern FI. My 85 Carrera sat for 2 years and after charging the battery up. fired right up and ran like it did before it went into hibernation.

There is definitely something to be said about that.

For a 3.6 is 1995 the best year to go? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jun 20 2014, 06:22 PM) *
For a 3.6 is 1995 the best year to go? confused24.gif

Last of the air-cooled and pre vario-ram. the vario-ram ones are hard to fit without cutting ...
smile.gif
PanelBilly
When we're you planing on driving again. Sending parts out for work takes time. What's your Latinate outcome. Hard to decide what do do until you've decide what you're after
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.