Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mark's bad '67 bug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Some have asked for the details on my new bug so here she is...

and it does have 914 content;)
arkitect
Cool bug, I'd like a bug one of these days.

Dave beerchug.gif
Java2570
Mark, that's a great looking Bug!
Mark Henry
1967 I've had since the late 80's.
I budget restored her once and drove it all through the 90's. At it's glory then it was red and had a 2007cc Gene Berg kit engine. A real blast to drive
by the end of the 90's she was real ratty and I parked it in storage at the end of the 1999 season.

I kept meaning to get back at it, collected parts but could never get my ass in gear... probably due to the fact I had acquired my 914.

A few years back I painted it and did the chassis then stopped again. Also I had bought all the bits for a 2.6 Liter engine for my 914 then got bit with the /6 sickness.
So I had this expensive T4 engine hanging around.

Then I decided that I wanted a 5-speed.....I had all this stuff from my 914...etc.

Finally I had to say to myself "Mark...just get the fucking thing done... dumb ass!"

So here it is smile.gif

Specs car

1967 standard beetle, Nason paint, new heater channels, NOS front fenders, new rear, NOS front apron
late IRS pan w/new floors
3" narrow on the front beam, adjusters and CB lowered spindles
NOS ATE front disc brakes, type 3 rear drums.
modified transmission tunnel and mounts
Every mechanical part is new, at least half of it is NOS
New interior, exterior rubber, trim, etc. (too much to list.)
EMPI GTV gauges (alone worth about $2K to a collector)
914 Fuch rims, Michelin 155/15 fronts 195/65-15 rear

Engine
Type 4 case, low mile VW replacement case
78mm welded crank, stock flywheel, balanced, ARP through bolts
102mm LN nickies, JE pistons
CB rods
RAT cam, LN ceramic lifters, manton PR's, 911 adjusters 1.7 rockers, custom spacers
914 heads with 44mm X 38mm valves, ARP head studs
Cooling system, Homemade, all metal DTM copy/ stock shroud hybrid, CSP pulley
SDS fuel injection and crankfire ignition, with 46mm modified motorcycle ITB's on type 4 manifolds, WMS O2 meter, Seimans Deca 55lb injectors
A1 header and muffler
full flow remote filter
Custom rear engine bar

Transmission
901-911 transmission with 914 gearing, freshly rebuilt at the Dr.Evil clinic that I hosted
911 shifter, modified pan mount, modified shift rod, new bushings

I'll add the missing details as I remember them and I'll add some more pic's later.
Mark Henry
Thread on how I did the motorcycle TB's smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1862114
Chris H.
Niiice. '67 is an awesome year. Bet that thing is fast!
jrrhdmust
Very Nice! I am just about finished (OK are they ever really finished?) with my 71 Super. I added a freeway flyer trans, since the reverse syncro went out. While the engine was out, I added dual EMPI carbs, 30mm oil pump, and higher capacity sump, added German Thermostat. I am not sure I would go with dual carbs again, but that is another story. I have one shift rod bushing to go, and she will be back on the road.

I still need to pull apart and completely rebuild the front end, and when I do that I want to lower it.

Click to view attachment
walterolin
Nice work, Mark.

Once owned a red '67. It was my second one, first one was a black '59 convertible, wish I still had both of them.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 20 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Niiice. '67 is an awesome year. Bet that thing is fast!

Seat of my pants I'm guessing at least 160hp maybe even 180hp.
I already found out blipping the throttle on wet pavement is not a good idea biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Build shots (not in any order)
jmill
Beautiful bug. I still miss my 62. Out of the 30+ cars I've owned, it's the only one I seriously regret selling. Sigh....

Chris H.
Convertible trunk lid...sweet. I had a few bugs way back when...had a '67 in Java Green. My favorite was a '64 sunroof. Wish I never sold that one... Also had a '72 super pretty close to Signal Orange.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 20 2014, 03:50 PM) *

Convertible trunk lid...sweet.

Thank you biggrin.gif .... I made it myself.

Pretty hard to tell from the real deal.
I didn't want to use deck lid standoffs, but I wasn't going to pay $500.+ for a one year only, hard to find, vert lid.
A '67 sedan lid has no vents and this puppy needs the extra airflow.
Chris H.
REALLY!? Wow that looks very good. So did you just buy a '70-'71 sedan lid and graft the vents from it or did you cut those vents out of the existing lid? Either would have been tedious work!
Mark Henry
Nah...it wasn't that bad of a job, most part just took me a day.
Yep, I took the vents out of a early 70's lid I had hanging around.
Chris H.
Looks great...look at the inside of the lid....can't even tell. The placement is perfect.

Click to view attachment

Did you have to trim the rear valance to get the type 4 to fit?
Mark Henry
Compared to the amount of work I put into the all metal DTM copy/Joe Cali/stock VW hybrid fan shroud, the decklid was a walk in the park. shades.gif
Chris H.
Oh you MADE that? Yeah that's a lot of work. Form AND function.
Elliot Cannon
1967. The best year bug. biggrin.gif Like everyone else, I wish I still had mine. laugh.gif
rpg5553
Click to view attachment

Mark, Great looking bug sure can see where you have put a lot of work into it.
I have a 57 oval which is a change from driving the teener. I get it out about every weekend for my senior coffee at McDonalds.
Keep them on the road biggrin.gif

Ronnie G
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 21 2014, 02:03 PM) *

1967. The best year bug. biggrin.gif Like everyone else, I wish I still had mine. laugh.gif

my other '67 and my '74 914
IPB Image
Mark Henry
A few members have asked about my 1967 VW Beetle since I posted the homemade DTM pic, so the easiest way to show you is to bump this thread.
My bug has 914 content all through it, Fuchs, heads and other engine parts, fuel pump, 914 gearing, shifter and other 914 parts I bet I'm forgetting about.
I have many pics on the build and a few other threads on certain parts of the build, so I'll try to link them here.

My home made TB set-up build is here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1862114
Paint job http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1045953
Mash of different stuff but a good pic of my tranny http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...206178&st=0

Also if you have a beetle or any aircooled VW post a pic, I like to see how many of us started our 914 obsession with the old bugs.
914forme
Not old bugs, I have been a Karmann junkie all my life. First car I purchased was a 73 Ghia. Borrowed tons of Porsche parts, it was a sleeper you could only tell if you looked from the back. 5.5" 914 rims.

headbang.gif I sold it, and hate the fact that I did headbang.gif It funded my current 914.

I now have dreams of finding one, and doing a Subaru conversion, 944 brakes, one of them fancy suspensions from the west coast, and well AWD. Thinking that will be my retirement car. My wife does not get it. :headband:

Like most cars in my life, I have not photo documentation, this 914 build has been the only one I actually have taken the time to document. I have restored and rebuilt many a car / truck / and van through my life. Never took a single photo of any of them.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 14 2016, 10:30 AM) *

Not old bugs, I have been a Karmann junkie all my life. First car I purchased was a 73 Ghia. Borrowed tons of Porsche parts, it was a sleeper you could only tell if you looked from the back. 5.5" 914 rims.

headbang.gif I sold it, and hate the fact that I did headbang.gif It funded my current 914.

I now have dreams of finding one, and doing a Subaru conversion, 944 brakes, one of them fancy suspensions from the west coast, and well AWD. Thinking that will be my retirement car. My wife does not get it. headbang.gif

Stephen, Karman Ghia, bus, T3, 914, 911, 356.... if it's aircooled I'm obsessed with it. beer.gif
Find an old pic of your Ghia and post it smile.gif
mepstein
My wife grew up driving a Ghia so she gets my 914 thing. Luckily for me.
Mark Henry
More engine parts
PotterPorsche
Nice 67 bug!! I still have 3 vws. That's how I was introduced to the 914. Friends in high school had 914 's and I had my ghia. I would help them with brakes all the time.

My twice a week 58 Karmann Ghia lowlight daily driver.
IPB Image
r_towle
4 in the barn....and two 356's.

Started with beetles...didn't we all?
Larmo63
Ghias, bugs, busses, a squareback, 356s, check……I've had a bunch of them too.

My 914s are just an extension of all the cars in the past.
wndsnd
Nice work Mark. Awfully nice bug.

Wish I was closer to get a ride
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.