Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. - Puerto Vallarta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Heading to Puerto Vallarta Feb. 12 for a week (all inclusive IPB Image ). "Never been there, but the brochure sure looks nice!" Just wondering if anyone on the forum has been there, and what kind of cool stuff there is to do (besides getting hammered by the pool IPB Image )

Kevin
scruz914
Yea. I've been there. I'll dig up some names of the places to go. Where are you staying?

-Jeff
skline
DONT DRINK THE WATER!!!!! Trust me on that one. I spent 3 days in the hospital and spent $3k on the bill.
SLITS
It was '77 when I was there.

1.) Get up early in the AM and watch the Cabana Boys pick up the dead poisonous sea snakes off the beach before the Touristas show up (Playa De Los Muertas).

2.) Find a dive shop, take training in the pool, and go Scuba diving. See if they will take you out to where the giant Manta Rays are (like a 747 swimming over you) - Bahia De Banderas

3.) Take a boat to Yalapa

4.) Go to Mismaloya (Where they filmed "Night of the Iguana"- Liz Taylor).

5.) Look on the beach for Liz Taylor's drug infested son (if he's still alive).

6.) Rent horses and go for a ride in the jungle.

7.) Sit by the pool and get drunk

I'm sure it has changed radically in the passing years, but................

Disclaimer....My Spanish spelling may not be correct....
mattillac
i went there a few years ago. i stayed in some hotel on the main strip. the qualton i think. theres an outdoor go kart track down the way. you can drink beers at the track and then go kart racing all hammered!! rocking nana.gif it's pretty fun. multiple strip bars/brothels also. bars there are cool. i hear that *insert other mexico area* is better, but it's a fun place.
GWN7
A buddy from work is there now, 58 days in the sun. If you meet a blond guy from Canada wearing a speedo (think pear wearing a rubber band) say hi to him for me. IPB Image
redshift
I did the REAL Mexico experience, by van, for 2.5 months.

I have never been to PV, but I have been to Pachuca! It's HORRIBLE!

IPB Image

M
Dr Evil
I was there a year ago. If you want a nice quaint bar to play a game of pool in and that has great service go to Dolar Bar. You can also go snorkeling, but leave early in the morning. All of the rest is evedent. Oh, there is a hooters too.
914werke
its been a few years but I statyed at the hotel at the Mismaloya bay (inlet, whatever IPB Image ) its a fair bit out of "downtown PV"
I didnt really like it compared to other Mexico spots I visited. IPB Image
ppickerell
PV is much more authentic feeling than Cancun. Rent a jeep and head out into the jungle for a day. Take a snorkelling tour out to the twin rocks. Walk the malecon at sunset with your SO. There is a small fishing village about 1/2 HR north that has a great beach side restaurant. Cervezas and fish on a stick.
SpecialK
Staying at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Hotel IPB Image

I'm gonna have to write down some of the suggestions from you guys for sure. Definitely interested in the scuba and horse riding. Wife hopes that they have that parasailing (big kite behind a boat) available.
SpecialK
Pic of the hotel
spare time toys
Back in 84 I worked for a guy who had a bunch of Lear jets. He was also a several time over Mr Universe. He would ask the mechanics if they wanted to go along down to PV over the weekend. Noone would go that had been there awhile so I said OK one time... Jump in the Lear and blast down great flight. We get there and go to his place beautiful joint. Him and his wife and friends take off and he asks if I would look at the old beat up POS he has down there for a car then look at this and fix that IPB Image My trip south of the boarder was one big pain in the rear. I could not tell you if they have a nice beach there or any thing about it other than if your boss offers you a free trip PASS on it IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 18 2005, 06:56 PM)
Wife hopes that they have that parasailing (big kite behind a boat) available.

I stayed in Mismaloya which is on the South side of the bay. It looks like you are on the North side. From what I saw when I was there (probably 10-12 years ago) your wife may want to reconsider the parachute thing. There seemed to be very few, if any, regulations for the operators of the parachute boats. The take offs were hairy and whoever was posted as the lookout wasn't really looking out. I only observed this from the beach.

I recommend a trip to Chino's Paradise. It is a touristy resturant and souvenir shop. Its attraction is that it is pearched over the river and kids dive for coins that you throw. The swimming there is also nice. If nothing else it is a trip out of PV proper. Here is there web page: Chino's

If you have not been to Mexico before, be VERY careful about where you eat and drink. Most of the Hotels and Resturants serve, cook, wash dishes and food in purified water. I did real good up until the airport on the way home. At the airport I ate a BLT and got the revenge. Luckily I was home before it hit. As a preventative measure we ate Pepto Bismal tablets the whole trip. I don't remember the reasoning behind this (wife's suggestion), someone else here may know.

Sounds like there are some good suggestions for things to do posted here. I think PV is the kind of place with hundreds of cool things to do and no matter what you will have a great time. And remember, no matter how cheap something is selling for, you can bargin for less (unless that has changed over the years).
Sammy
Sit in a boat out in the harbor. it's beautiful from there.
Don't get any closer than that though, otherwise you will notice that it stinks of sewer and it is filthy, worse than most of TJ. can you tell I wasn't impressed and will never ever go back?
SpecialK
The only "car" I'm gonna work on down there is Ba-car-di IPB Image . Sounds like your former boss was an inconsiderate IPB Image ! Should have told him "Fahk You Ahss-hole" IPB Image (in your best "Arnold" voice).......then again, that would've been a loooong walk home. IPB Image

Kevin
neo914-6
Ahh PV, I drove there from San Jose a few years ago. Never will drive Hwy 200 south of PV again. Imagine a two lane windy road with blind curves where cars, buses, AND trucks pass with no regard to head on collision. Lot's of crosses along the road. IPB Image
On the upside, most of the Larger Hotels have filtered water and you are well taken care of as far as food and activities. If you want to see the real Mexico wander off the beaten path...Most locals live happily below their means and are very polite. Even though things are relatively cheap, you can bargain with everything. There are some fun party cruises and clubs. IPB Image
SpecialK
I can't friggin' wait! IPB Image IPB Image

This is the first real vacation we've ever taken in 21 years of marriage (4 layoffs....spread evenly over the years f's up the savings account but good). I only hope the kids (17, 20) don't burn the house down while we're gone. TG for nosy neighbors, and a Bro-in-law that's a Franklin County cop. IPB Image
grantsfo
Yeah I have been there a couple times. I like the Older Southern part of town. Cafe Olla is decent. House of Pancakes for breakfest is a trip. For some reason I like Daquari Dicks - I think it was drinks and thunderstorm over the beach. Jungle drive would be fun.

Parts of PV have been wrecked by large cruise ships. Most of the town has street vendors selling tours, time shares etc. Get ready for "hey mister are you on the cruise" routine.

Secret on bottled water. Make sure it has a plastic strip sealing the cap. I have watched more than once people using garden houses to fill up "bottled water" and then selling to unsupecting public

Para sailing can be found on most of the beaches. They have Bananna boats too. Big banana with 5-6 people being pulled by power boat.

Resist the infamous pirate boat its a rip off. Its filled with Cruise boat people and is 100% tourist nastiness.

My favorite activity is finding good beach front resturant with chairs in the sand. Order beer and fresh seafood. Just check the kitchens before you eat there.
pete-stevers
We went a few years back, it was great, problem is the mix was more expensive than the alcohol... but what the hell the where free with the hotel...
if you get tired of the all inclusive fare, try a place called Pipi s or somthing like that the margeritas are big enough to drowned in... we had a blast... hope you do too!!! IPB Image
SpecialK
WOW! That Chino's Paradise looks kewl! rocking nana.gif

I'm definitely going to have to make a list of the "recommended" sites to see before I go, it'll save me a lot of wasted time and pesos! IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 19 2005, 12:41 AM)
I'm definitely going to have to make a list of the "recommended" sites to see before I go, it'll save me a lot of wasted time and pesos! IPB Image

The suggestions help with what to watch and watch out for. Make the list but don't make it a checklist. If you come across something that has not been suggested and passes the non-touristy criteria, go for it. Nothing like serendipity. Especially in a foreign country.
SLITS
Forgot one thing....go the the Harbor and watch the Touristas bail off the boats for a day and spend ungodly amounts of money for things that you can bargin down if you're willing to go thru the hassle.

When I went, I was with a Mexican National whose family lived in PV. Interesting experience. Walking along the beach at 3 AM, sweating like hell, finishing off a bottle of El Presendente Brandy with Rosa.......sigh....... IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 19 2005, 09:10 AM)
Forgot one thing....go the the Harbor and watch the Touristas bail off the boats for a day and spend ungodly amounts of money for things that you can bargin down if you're willing to go thru the hassle.

When I went, I was with a Mexican National whose family lived in PV. Interesting experience. Walking along the beach at 3 AM, sweating like hell, finishing off a bottle of El Presendente Brandy with Rosa.......sigh....... IPB Image

Some of the best memories come from finishing off a bottle of the local beverage in a foreign country. IPB Image
SpecialK
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jan 19 2005, 07:41 AM)
Nothing like serendipity.

Hmmmm.....is that good mixed with coke? Or better straight out of the bottle. IPB Image

Point taken Jeff IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 19 2005, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jan 19 2005, 07:41 AM)
Nothing like serendipity.

Hmmmm.....is that good mixed with coke? Or better straight out of the bottle. IPB Image

Point taken Jeff IPB Image

I like my serendipity straight up! IPB Image Although there have been times that those around me didn't exactly agree. IPB Image
SLITS
My Grandpappy tole me "Never dilute your coffee or booze son" IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.