Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
I tried a search for "tires" & " street tires", but - I got 6 pages of search results for all sorta stuff. IPB Image
I've had good luck with Good Year Eagle's on many other cars , except for once when 2 of the 4 were out-of-round to the point where my 280ZX shook like a mofo above 60....anyway,
My question: What's a good street tire for a teener driving So. Cal roads?
Thanks,
Doohhh, without flares - yet.
Allan
Once my car is back on the road I'm gonna get me a set of them Falkan Azenis. My son has Khumo's on his Mustang GT and he likes them.
TheCabinetmaker
I run Kuhmo Ecsta MX 205/50/15. Love them. They're just 2 years old with about 35,000 mi, and almost wore out. I'll replace them with the same, but 60's next time. 50's are almost 4k at 85mph, and I do alot of highway driving.
Joe Bob
I just ordered a set of BF Goodrich G=Force Sports in 205/50/15.....going on Manfred the 914/6 track car......
nebreitling
i think it's hard to beat the Azenis for their performance:price ratio.

unless i needed a high-aspect tire for mileage/hiway use, a rain tire, or real longevity, this would be my street tire of choice.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 18 2005, 07:57 PM)
i think it's hard to beat the Azenis for their performance:price ratio.

unless i needed a high-aspect tire for mileage/hiway use, a rain tire, or real longevity, this would be my street tire of choice.

IPB Image ... i have them...love them too. i do a bunch of freeway driving, but it makes up for it in performance... try to break em loose while driving semi sanely on the street IPB Image

PS...they feel mushy under 36psi.... so i run mine over that......

daily driver/AX tires ...79 a pop....they cant be beat....we'll see if they make it to 20K miles IPB Image
airsix
Nobody should be answering this question IMHO until mileage and price criteria are established.

-Ben M.
MattR
QUOTE (airsix @ Jan 18 2005, 08:53 PM)
Nobody should be answering this question IMHO until mileage and price criteria are established.

-Ben M.

Well we know he drives a 914 so he probably wants race car performance for honda price IPB Image
nebreitling
QUOTE (airsix @ Jan 18 2005, 08:53 PM)

-Ben M.

"Don't answer that question!"

lol -- why? i don't get that. we're not recommending surgeons or mutual funds here. IPB Image IPB Image he wanted recommendations. we gave 'em.

aaron, if they last 20k, you're not driving hard enough! hopefully the next gen azenis will be as cheap!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 18 2005, 10:14 PM)
aaron, if they last 20k, you're not driving hard enough! hopefully the next gen azenis will be as cheap!

at the rate i drive...6k
nebreitling
btw d7: get them in 205/50 for performance, 205/60 for hiway cruising, or 205/55 for a happy medium. azenis and other really grippy tires will often only come in a 205/50.

195's also work. you may need to roll your fender lips to fit the 205's.
Trekkor
Azenis all the way-

Mine wore out quick because I had say 8 or so a/x's on 'em.

Plus street driving. IPB Image

A/X wastes tires, no doubt about that. IPB Image

KT
d7n7master
Here's an interesting tire survey:
Whadayathink?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...lay.jsp?type=MP
---------------
I'm gonna go check 'em out - right now.
airsix
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 18 2005, 09:14 PM)
"Don't answer that question!"

lol -- why? i don't get that. we're not recommending surgeons or mutual funds here. IPB Image IPB Image he wanted recommendations. we gave 'em.

Maybe he doesn't want a super-sticky tire that will be dead in 8,000 miles. Or maybe he does. We don't know yet. I can get 20,000 miles out of a set of Dunlop SP9000's or 10,000 miles out of Yokohama AVS Sports. Which is better? Well it all depends on the objectives. We need to know the objectives before offering recommendations. Case in point: My dad bought a 300zx. It had brand new Kuhmo Ecstas. I told him that they were the grippiest tires he'd ever had on a car and they wouldn't last more than 10,000 miles. He absolutlely loved them for 10,000 miles. Then he said "Hey! My tires are already worn out!" They were fun while they lasted but the reality of 10k mile tire life was too much for him and now he runs something a little tamer. I'm just saying you got to know more about what someone wants before you send them down the river.

-Ben M.
Trekkor
10,000 miles for $800 is .08 a mile. Who cares? IPB Image

10,000 miles with Azenis for $320 or so is less than .04. IPB Image

a/x is another story. Some $800 tires are good for 60 minutes. IPB Image

KT
Aaron Cox
IPB Image

i love every minute of driving on my azenis.....
d7n7master
Thanks all,
I'm looking for a really sticky tire with a predictable breakaway. Hang the mileage.
I'm gonna do a gentle roll & flare. Just enough to fit 205/50R15's.
I've read that the Falken Azenis Rs are great tires 'til they get "hot". Any experience with the Azenis RT- 615???
Thanx,
Trekkor
'til they get "hot".

For track use, I don't know. For street and a/x, you'll be smilin' IPB Image

KT
Randal
Looking at AutoX costs:

Some $800 tires are good for 60 minutes

Hoosiers are closer to $900 mounted and balanced.

60 minutes is pretty accurate which relates to .25 cents per second out on the course for Hoosiers.

Run 8 times in one day, for approximately 40 seconds and your tire cost would be $80.
airsix
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Jan 20 2005, 07:44 AM)
Thanks all,
I'm looking for a really sticky tire with a predictable breakaway. Hang the mileage.
I'm gonna do a gentle roll & flare. Just enough to fit 205/50R15's.
I've read that the Falken Azenis Rs are great tires 'til they get "hot". Any experience with the Azenis RT- 615???
Thanx,

Ok, now THAT'S what I was looking for. IPB Image

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.