Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just put in LED Gauge lights...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
And I love 'em. Excellent product you got there Qarl! They all work perfectly and are eons ahead of the old bulbs that were in there.

Slight problem though. This has brought forth the need for me to re-do the reflective coating in my gauges. I'm talking about how there's a reflective paint or coating or whatnot on the insides of my gauges... just gotta re-do it now.

How, though? I've got a spare speedo that i can learn on dissecting, but how do I go about it? How to not break the plastice on the guages themselves? Has anyone done this before?

I'd be utterly grateful if someone can help shine some light on this situation.

(I know, cheap pun)

Thanks IPB Image
skline
Where are the damn pictures?????

IPB Image
Dr Evil
What coating? What plastic are you worried about breaking?

Oh, and I love them too!
SpecialK
Here's an article that may "shine some light" on your problem.... IPB Image

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm

Kevin
Brando
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 18 2005, 06:17 PM)
Where are the damn pictures?????

IPB Image

Jeebus calm down fude! I'm still eating dinner, once I'm all done i'll head out.

btw, thanks for the link special k!!! IPB Image

Excuse the pics for being blurry, camera couldn't focus in the dark well...
Dr Evil
Ah, plastic lens. I would change them to glass if you are gonna take it apart. I have the glass and can do it for you if you want, for little $$.
Brando
I think I'm getting the hang of taking this thing apart... How much do you want for the glass lenses (set of 3)? Not saying I dont want your business, but if i'm going the effort to learn how to do this I wanna do it meself IPB Image IPB Image
Dr Evil
I like it when people do things themselves, its all good. I'll have to get back to you about if I can sell them. I will need todestroy gauges to do it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 18 2005, 08:05 PM)
I like it when people do things themselves, its all good. I'll have to get back to you about if I can sell them. I will need todestroy gauges to do it.

send the destroyed combo gauges to me!!!!
newdeal2
What's the deal with these? More info on availabilty and price...please IPB Image
mrihop
I had my gauges refaced and redone with blue LED lighting from North Hollywood speedometer and they did a great job! I can actually read the gauges at night!

A bit costly, but well worth it!

IPB Image
newdeal2
QUOTE (mrihop @ Jan 18 2005, 07:39 PM)
I had my gauges refaced and redone with blue LED lighting from North Hollywood speedometer and they did a great job! I can actually read the gauges at night!

A bit costly, but well worth it!

IPB Image

Very nice...color choices?
SpecialK
I've got a ton (okay, 50) UV (360nm) LED's from another project that I'm going to experiment with for lighting my gauges. I think IPB Image (think being the operative word here) that with the white numbers, and florescent orange needles, they should be pretty readable.....plus my white-ass second shifter hide could use a little color....mobile tanning bed. IPB Image
Dr Evil
I did my own for waaay less. The lights were inexpensive, too.
Series9
QUOTE (mrihop @ Jan 18 2005, 08:39 PM)
A bit costly...

Watch your mouth! These are 914 guys. Jeeze, be friendly. IPB Image
Brando
Kevin,
I take it you're going to try the blacklight backlight approach? That should prove very interesting either way!

So, i just rebuilt one of my speedometer/odometers. took less than an hour, woohoo! I set it for my car's mileage before the odometer/speedometer broke. I also put some reflective aluminum tape on the inside and polished it out to a near-mirror finish. I think when I get it in tomorrow night it's going to look pretty neat.
Dr Evil
Sounds cool. Pics (and better tha the last ones)
Qarl
I'm no longer selling the LEDS.

You can get them now at http://www.karstuff.com

He took over the LEDS from me. Same bulbs, different dude.

Regards,

Karl
Brando
I'm in the process of refurbing my gauges... I re-did my speedo and it looked a billion times better with some polished reflective aluminum tape on the sides and the LEDs... So i'm re-doing it to all of my gauges. Did the Tach tonight and iit looks awesome as well. I'll probably do the Idiot light guage and fuel gauge tomorrow. Then I'm going to try to find a way to drill a 3rd hole into my Tach for another LED to fit in there... that should prove interesting if it works. IPB Image
Dr Evil
Brando,
I was just working on the extra light in my tach problem. Great minds.... If I figure something out I will let you know.
Brando
You know how the part where the light goes into the gauge has a copper jacket around it?

Couldn't you take the copper jacket off of another gauge and drill a hole in the back that's the same diameter so it fits tightly? Then run a split off of one of the lines to the Tach backlight...

that's what I was going to do. Think it'll work without colliding with something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.