Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: type 4 engine cam question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john maples
Hi,

I was wondering what the effect would be when running FI on an engine with a carb cam?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
colingreene
Depends on the type of fuel injection,
If its the stock fuel injection it will not run well if at all.
Aftermarket stuff if programed correctly it will run fine.
jmill
I'm far from a FI expert but carb cams usually have significant valve overlap. With stock FI and a carb cam, I would think you would run the risk of over scavenging.
Jake Raby
According to the camshaft profile, it may not idle at all and low speed performance will suck.. EFI and camshaft profiles are fine lines.

What cam is it?
john maples
I don't know which cam is in the motor. Just thought about buying it as a temp while mine (912E) is being overhauled/ upgraded to 2056 specs.

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 21 2014, 01:42 PM) *

According to the camshaft profile, it may not idle at all and low speed performance will suck.. EFI and camshaft profiles are fine lines.

What cam is it?

Mark Henry
With stock injection I'd have to say no to that.
Even programmable FI has issues with performance carb cams, although there is work arounds.

Carb performance cams have lousy vacuum for the MAP or MPS, really you need at least 15 inches of idle vacuum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.