Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outboard engine mounts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm designing and fabricating my own crossmember to hold the LT1 in place. I was thinking I might use 911 sport mounts at the ends of the crossmember, and mount the crossmember rigidly to the engine. I know the early tailshifters did it this way, not sure what the typical conversion kit does. One reason I want to do this is because the stock LT1 mounts are huge and probably weight 12 lbs each. The other reason is I would like to be able to mount the bar to the engine before installation and then use it as a jack point for installation maneuvering. If it were rigidly attached I would be more confident pushing the engine around with it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but I thought I'd see if anyone else did IPB Image
McMark
The mounts were moved inboard to the engine in order to further reduce vibration noise. My guess is that it's because the engine bar becomes a level and a little shake with a big level becomes a lot of movement for a little rubber dampener. So, yes you could do it. It will likely be nosier than the alternative. But really, what's 20 lbs more in a v8 conversion? IPB Image IPB Image
bondo
VERY good point! It's likely to be worse with a v8 because of the angle of the cylinders, and that they'll be higher than the originals. Hmm.
Carl
Outboard engine mounts...

and I'm thinkin' clamps from an Evanrude ...

IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (Carl @ Jan 18 2005, 10:25 PM)

IPB Image

Hey, now there's a thought.. but how am I gonna get the transom in there? IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 12:09 AM)

IPB Image

Hey, now there's a thought.. but how am I gonna get the transom in there? IPB Image

Ok.. now I know I have a weird imagination....

This made me see a picture of you getting out of your 914, popping the engine lid, and using the pull rope on the Evenrude outboard motor mounted inside to start the car....... IPB Image
Root_Werks
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jan 19 2005, 06:44 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 12:09 AM)

IPB Image

Ok.. now I know I have a weird imagination....

This made me see a picture of you getting out of your 914, popping the engine lid, and using the pull rope on the Evenrude outboard motor mounted inside to start the car....... IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image
SteveSr
Bondo,here is what I did for my V6,I took the stock rubber mounts off the car last weekend and they are shot. Not sure what I'm going to do yet........

SteveSr
Mueller
I helped work on a ZZ4 converted 914 that had the reddawg motor mount/cradle, the owner installed rubber bushings/mounts on the outboard /4 locations with no known problems
SteveSr
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 19 2005, 10:30 AM)
I helped work on a ZZ4 converted 914 that had the reddawg motor mount/cradle, the owner installed rubber bushings/mounts on the outboard /4 locations with no known problems

I have seen the mounts that Rennshift is offering,what would be wrong with making some out of solid rubber or nylon?

SteveSr
BIGKAT_83
Bondo on my LS1 conversion I had to move the stock GM mounts farther forward on the engine I made these out of .5" aluminum and used the older style gm mount (3 bolt) instead of 4. This lined up the cross bar with the stock porsche mount.
Oh I bought the new chevy mounts at a auto store for $4.15 each. You have to like the older chevy part prices.
bondo
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 20 2005, 01:58 PM)
Bondo on my LS1 conversion I had to move the stock GM mounts farther forward on the engine I made these out of .5" aluminum and used the older style gm mount (3 bolt) instead of 4. This lined up the cross bar with the stock porsche mount.
Oh I bought the new chevy mounts at a auto store for $4.15 each. You have to like the older chevy part prices.

Sweet, thanks! Which holes are for what in that pic? I like the idea of $4 engine mounts IPB Image Do you know if the LS1 and LT1 have mounts the same distance from the rear of the block?
BIGKAT_83
I think that they are the same mount but maybe in a different posistion on the block. I have a Lt1 that I can measure and I will but can't get to it today. The three holes that make the triangle are for the old style chevy mount and the 4 holes are for the orginal new style mount.

Bob
bondo
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 20 2005, 02:27 PM)
I think that they are the same mount but maybe in a different posistion on the block. I have a Lt1 that I can measure and I will but can't get to it today.

Bob

No hurry, this is all still a few monts off.. at the earliest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.