Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV engine to VW transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal

Anyone know if there is such a thing?
brant
You should go with a hewlNd mark 8
Mike Bellis
The bolt patterns for T1 & T4 are close. T4 being slightly larger. You might be able to hog it out to fit. It's been done somewhere before
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 21 2014, 01:35 PM) *

The bolt patterns for T1 & T4 are close. T4 being slightly larger. You might be able to hog it out to fit. It's been done somewhere before

No, they are exactly the same. Just change the two lower bell housing studs from the 914 engine and install some 10mm shorter.

Then just bolt it up. The flywheel compatibility is where the conversion comes in.
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 21 2014, 02:30 PM) *

You should go with a hewlNd mark 8

Would like to have one of those in my 914...maybe someday.

Randal
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 21 2014, 02:38 PM) *

No, they are exactly the same. Just change the two lower bell housing studs from the 914 engine and install some 10mm shorter.

Then just bolt it up. The flywheel compatibility is where the conversion comes in.

So do you sell all the parts necessary for the conversion Jake?

FYI I'm thinking about using my motor in another (light) race car for hill climbs. With the car I have in mind a VW transmission would be more effective than a 901.
brant
Remember to flip the pinion or run a rear engine car
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 21 2014, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 21 2014, 02:38 PM) *

So do you sell all the parts necessary for the conversion Jake?

FYI I'm thinking about using my motor in another (light) race car for hill climbs. With the car I have in mind a VW transmission would be more effective than a 901.

I no longer sell parts. I refocused back to development and engine building work only last year. I sold the parts division (Type 4 Store) to LN Engineering. Yes, they have what you need.

Mark Henry
215mm bus flywheel, you need to machine the center hole a bit larger because you have to mount the pilot bearing in it. After that you use a stock or KEP HD pressure plate. On the VW tranny it's best to use a late throw out bearing.

Or you can use this bolt on solution and a 200mm KEP 1700lb (or heavier) pressure plate.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...de=ACC-C20-5100

PM me if you need any help on this and I'll walk you through it.
Jake Raby
With that engine, and its power output the 210 or 215mm bus flywheels are no where near going to hold, plus they are cast iron.

I would go with a 200mm conversion flywheel, use a Stage II KEP pressure plate and a Daiken clutch disc. It'll bolt in and drive away, and the pressure plate will match the tranny perfectly.

With these components, everything is a direct bolt in, no need to modify anything except how far your wallet opens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.