Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help adjusting rear ride height
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Installed Bilsteins and thought I was raising ride height but it did not,
For higher, where do I position lower spring perch spring
I thought I knew what I was doing ( fatal character flaw)
If it is already in correct position how can I increase height
Thanks in advance for help
Terry
bulitt
Does your shock body have grooves around it under the lower spring perches?
914Sixer
Did you start with new springs and set the bottom clip in slot 3 up from the shock bolt? I feel that you need to start with with new springs before you even try adjusting things. The rear should set slightly higher than the front. You need to measure the ride height from the tire to the fender lip. Spring choice is up to you depending on what kind of driving you are doing. Original 90# springs were weak at best on -4 cars, the -6 had 100# .
Johny Blackstain
I think it be nice if someone held an ECC, or a WCR or Okteenerfest @ an alignment shop so everyone attending could adjust the ride height & alignment on their teeners. Most shops now-a-days don't even know what a teener is, much less have the ability to align it. Wishful thinking, I know. sad.gif
sixaddict
So thanks for response...I knew I should have explained a bit more.
1. Bilsteins have several grooves ( 5 or 6)
2. I placed ring in top groove (that is primary question ...which direction lowers/raises...
3. Used heavier springs (but not positive of weight rating) . They were shorter than ones I removed but I am sure the ones I removed were bone stock
Thanks again
Terry
MMW
The top groove would make the car sit the highest. Being that your new springs were shorter than the ones you took out I think it's as high as it will go.
rhodyguy
the higher the ring on the shock body=(should) higher ride height. did you make any adjustment to the front of the car? do you now have a 'nose high' stance? were the replacement springs new?
TheCabinetmaker
The top groove will give you a very stiff, very hard, very rough ride. I run mine on the bottom groove for street use, and up one or two for track use
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 22 2014, 08:46 AM) *

The top groove will give you a very stiff, very hard, very rough ride. I run mine on the bottom groove for street use, and up one or two for track use

This makes no sense to me. The grooves adjust ride height not compression or rebound. If your ride comfort is changing, you shocks ma be bad or the dynamic between front and rear shocks is changing due to ride height.
sixaddict
Thanks all...Afraid that was the answer......Guess a new set of light duty springs on the agenda
barefoot
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jun 22 2014, 06:46 AM) *

Installed Bilsteins and thought I was raising ride height but it did not,
For higher, where do I position lower spring perch spring
I thought I knew what I was doing ( fatal character flaw)
If it is already in correct position how can I increase height
Thanks in advance for help
Terry

When I got mine and was removing & cleaning everything, I noted that some PO had installed spacers above the top spring plate (used pipe couplings about 1.5" long). This increased spring preload and would have increased ride height.
I've removed them but not driven the car yet.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Mike Bellis' de='Jun 22 2014, 11:14 AM) *

This makes no sense to me. The grooves adjust ride height not compression or rebound. If your ride comfort is changing, you shocks ma be bad or the dynamic between front and rear shocks is changing due to ride height.

I knew that was gonna draw a response. lol.
Two year old bils all around. Shocks are good. Not an expert on dynamics, just my experience.
sixaddict
So....got a new set of stock springs and installed snap ring (guessing) three grooves from top and got exactly the ride height I wanted. Car had been too low in rear....so now has slightly nose down attitude. Have not driven yet but expect it to be much better than the 300 + in my track beast for comfort. Thanks for the help. I believe the old springs may have been cut.
TOT
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 22 2014, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis' de='Jun 22 2014, 11:14 AM) *

I knew that was gonna draw a response. lol.
Two year old bils all around. Shocks are good. Not an expert on dynamics, just my experience.

I should think moving the ring would move the average starting position of the shock. That could certainly change how the ride feels when you respond to bump.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 22 2014, 05:15 AM) *

Did you start with new springs and set the bottom clip in slot 3 up from the shock bolt? I feel that you need to start with with new springs before you even try adjusting things. The rear should set slightly higher than the front. You need to measure the ride height from the tire to the fender lip. Spring choice is up to you depending on what kind of driving you are doing. Original 90# springs were weak at best on -4 cars, the -6 had 100# .

FWIW, ride height is NOT measured at the fender lip. The manual specifies the height in the front is measured from the center line of the torsion bar. I don't remember the rear measuring point, and it's not in the specs book. Probably the center line of the rear trailing arm pivot.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.