Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oh what fun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
well got my gas welder up and running, you all should love my cheap ass way to do this.

before anyquestions come up on why i am gas welding, i will explain. i have access to a mig but i cant mig worth a shoot, and i like gas welding lets you see whats going on better.

now for the cheap part, i have one of those lovely little mapp oxy setups from HD, the one that costs 50 bucks. but i found that welding kills an 8 dollar bottle of oxy in 15 mins. so i bought an oxy reg from HF and hooked up the hose that used to go to the 1 lb bottle of oxy to the reg. i have a 150 foot3 oxy bottle and about 2 hours latter have used about 150 psi of oxy.

and what i am welding is the engine mount that will be welded to the long behind the suspention ear and the engine bar. the engine bar is 1 inch square .083 wall tube with several 30 degree angles in it. the angles are cut at 15 degrees then flipped on one side to make 30, then the angles are gussetted with 16 gauge sheet over a 5 inch area. then after all fitted in to the car i will weld another piece of 90 degree angle on it to double the thickness on 2 sides. right now with out the extra thickness i can put one end on the floor and push myself ( 190 lbs ) up of the ground with about 1/2 inch of flex. so should be plenty strong.

i also will be laminating the area on the long with a piece of 16 gauge that will be roasette welded to the long and suspention ear as well as i might tie it in the the shock tower.

and i know IPB Image i will post pics tommarrow
DJsRepS
Gas is how I put mine back together. My drivers seat was rusted out 95% all the way around you could see the ground. Nothing to hold my seat in and 2 milk jugs behind my stat so I could use the clutch. I was getting worried about hitting a RR xing too fast and my own car running my ass over. That would have made some headlines..... Any I used steel rod 1 in tacks in stressed areas then used brass to go solid weld. Also used brass on all the repairs by the hell hole. My car was a parts car and still is to many but I like it. Got a long way to go on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.