Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there anything wrong with this picture?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Greetings,

Man, this project is addictive!!!! I can't hardly stop thinking about it or working on it or thinking about working on it!!!!

I did manage to stay out of the shop today but had to post about this curiosity...

Is side trim on a 1973 914 2.0 a factory option? I've never seen any other 914's with trim.

I don't exactly like it, but I'm stuck with it until I paint....

Cheers,
Nate
Pnambic
I think I remember this being discussed before. I believe someone said it was a dealer installed option.
boxstr
Dealer installation.
CCLINOPTIONTIME
neo914-6
Hope they didn't pop rivet them on! IPB Image
BMartin914
Rex's concours car has it too Nate. His is a 73 1/2.
seanery
my 76 had it
rick 918-S
I have a confession to make. This is aftermarket side moulding crap we installed on customer cars in the body shopin the 70's and early 80's. Sold through the auto body supply stores. I always hated it! You drill holes though the car and pop rivet the stuff to the car. I don't know what did more damage, the holes we drilled or the over size dent it caused when someone doored you with the stuff riveted to the skin. Besides the 914 is so low that most of the door dents are above the moulding. I always thought it was like bolting a gaurd rail to the side of the car. yuk IPB Image

BTW, I like your color! IPB Image ditch the side moulding IPB Image
Natedog
Huh. Well, I don't really care for it and would love to remove it. But if if it is indeed pop riveted on, I'm screwed for the time being. I do REALLY like the color and the finish is in great condition.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Nate
Chris H.
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jan 19 2005, 01:23 AM)
Hope they didn't pop rivet them on! IPB Image

Yes, they did.... IPB Image
MartyYeoman
Had it on my '75.
Ditched it.
GTeener
You can use it in a 2 tone paint scheme IPB Image
ninefourteener
I have an idea......

Remove the side molding..... and then pimp it out by covering the holes with blue relectors...... or how about stickers??

Or perhaps just replace it with a neon strip???!!

IPB Image

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the molding, but it isn't "that" bad. With a finish as good as yours, I wouldn't even worry about it too much. Car looks good!!
Chris H.
Heads up, I took mine off and unfortunately the paint underneath was a slightly different color. So I had to re-pop-rivet them back on dammit! IPB Image

I say leave 'em for now. The paint looks great otherwise.
Midtowner
Bummer to hear about the rivets. Here's my 6/73 2.0 car without side molding to give you an idea (not that it's difficult to imagine).
Natedog
Thanks for all the comments and tips!

The paint is in really great condition, except for the trunk and engine lid. This car has been through TWO fires before I got it. So I had to replace the trunk and engine lid. I found a yellow trunk lid and the engine lid is black. I figure it all looks good enough for now.....

Cheers,
Nate

Gotta go home and finish up the brake job!
McMark
That two tone might be cool... IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.