Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll Bar Pad Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swooshdave
IPB Image
I removed all the screws. Now what. It does't want to come off. Are there clips? Is it glued?

Just get mediaeval on it?
cwpeden
Did you get the screws on the underside?
Dave_Darling
And look for a couple of small screws in the corners of the latch area.

--DD
GaroldShaffer
Helps to remove the B pillar bolsters also. Also may need to pull the latch lever arms down.
swooshdave
I got all the ones under the caps. Are there more somewhere?
dangrouche
I got my targa pad removed in this sequence. Others have reported that I did not need to remove the latches, but in my case, I did.
1. remove the vertical pillar seat belt moulding panels, left and right
2. remove the horizontal and vertical screws securing the targa pad
3. after the targa pad screws were removed, I was able to get in there to remove the targa latches using a 7/16" and socket tool from Harbor Freight

here is the description of the tools I used to get mine out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=237295
swooshdave
The latch fell out of the drivers side, the two bolts were missing. Can you replace them with everything in place?
dangrouche
from what others have said, the trim bar can be finessed off while the two targa latches are in place, therefore, I suppose, you can re-install the two latches first. then afterwards, you would need to manipulate the latch to and fro in order to re-install the trim bar. give me a couple of days, I am re-installing the rear glass this week.
dangrouche
got the rear glass installed. Yes, the latches can stay in place for re-installation of the targa moulding. I found the "magic" position. the targa latches must be with the hooks in the upward position and the lever of the latch must be in the downward position. both latches must be the the same position. so, doing it alone, you make the passenger latch vertical, slide the targa bar on, then go to the driver side and do the same process. the targa bar was on in less than a minute. theoretically, the removal must be the reverse process, i.e., make the latch vertical and slide off one end at a time. here a few pics. I used gasoline to clean off the old butyl.
swooshdave
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 23 2014, 05:42 AM) *

Helps to remove the B pillar bolsters also. Also may need to pull the latch lever arms down.

This was finally the trick, the B-pillar trim.

IPB Image
I only needed to access the drivers side.

IPB Image
The real question now is can anyone tell me the bolt size without me having to disturb the passenger side? I'm guessing an M6?

Thanks!
dangrouche
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 24 2014, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 23 2014, 05:42 AM) *

This was finally the trick, the B-pillar trim.

IPB Image
I only needed to access the drivers side.

IPB Image
The real question now is can anyone tell me the bolt size without me having to disturb the passenger side? I'm guessing an M6?

Thanks!

yep M6 1.0x12mm will do it; also needs a wavy washer.
swooshdave
IPB Image
SS replacements in hand. Since I was this far in I might as well do both sides.

IPB Image
I could get the pad on but only with one of the latches installed. I had to finesse the other latch with the pad loose. But in the end it was worth it.

Pretty good guess that the correct order for the interior installation is the top pad, then the B pillars. When you do it backwards it's a wee fight.

IPB Image
All done for now, at least this part. One of the latches was actually missing both bolts so I don't have to worry about the top, more or less.

I think I ended up missing a few screws and some of the screw trim caps. Probably find them the next time the interior comes out.

blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.