Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antenna location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
When did Porsche move the antenna from the pax side to the driver's side?

My '72 is on the pax side, but have noticed other '72's with them on the driver's side....

inquiring minds want to know..... IPB Image
JmuRiz
Porsche didn't put an antenna anywhere. 914s didn't come from the factory with a radio, so it was up to the dealer to install...and they put the antenna wherever they wanted to.
jr91472
aha!!

thx
skline
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Jan 19 2005, 07:37 AM)
Porsche didn't put an antenna anywhere. 914s didn't come from the factory with a radio, so it was up to the dealer to install...and they put the antenna wherever they wanted to.

Is that true? I have 2 factory ads that show an antenna mounted on the driver side. Does that mean that the cars they used were already delivered to a dealer? Oh the ads were for 74 models.
skline
Here is a picture of a 1974 brochure. I can see the antenna base on the drivers side.
skline
Here is another picture with it a little more clear. And this is an early car. You can tell by the mirror.
scotty914
look at it this way, porsche did not put an ant. from the factory, but then the cars came here and the dealer put a radio in. and then when it was time for pictures for ads they took cars from dealers for the ads using americans as models on americans roads. so the ads have ants.
skline
One more if I can get it to load.
drgchapman
So.....how about an electric antenna? Put a nice new radio in Pamela's car, need to get out in the rain to raise antenna. Does anyone know where to get an electric unit that mounts right up?

Gary
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 19 2005, 08:23 AM)
One more if I can get it to load.

well, that picture was obviously shot in germany. they never sold the 914 in US trim in germany, therefore, this must have been a "promo" car of sorts and *not* a dealer car.

meaning, someone put the antenna on there, and it wasn't a dealership ...
IPB Image Andy
skline
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Jan 19 2005, 09:37 AM)
So.....how about an electric antenna? Put a nice new radio in Pamela's car, need to get out in the rain to raise antenna. Does anyone know where to get an electric unit that mounts right up?

Gary

There are many that will fit, the one I put on mine was a Hirshman and you can get them on Ebay all the time. I see them there frequently. In fact, that is where I got mine from. I am currently looking for a black masted one. The last one was Chrome.
Gustl
Johnson's Restorer's Guide says that all factory installed antennas were at the left side

take a look at the Brian Long book, it shows following options:
M095 - radio Blaupunkt Wolfsburg
M097 - radio Blaupunkt Emden
M490 - electric antenna
M587 - radio Blaupunkt Hannover with automatic antenna

the '72 price list shows various radios as option, too

I have several sales brochures from '69, '70, '71 and '72 which show cars with antennas at the drivers side

So, I'm pretty sure that antennas (as well as the radios) were factory options, always installed at the driver's side

And I'm pretty sure that all the pics from brochures "printed in germany" uses factory cars, not dealer cars ...

but, sure there are some dealer installed antennas which may be at the passanger side - maybe there are some antennas installed by second or later owner ...
kafermeister
So is it safe to say that...

1) if the antenna is on the passenger side, it's almost certainly dealer installed for that particular car.

and

2) even if it is on the driver side, it could still have been dealer installed but at least in the 'factory designated' location?

Rick
kafermeister
Oops. Just read the post before mine.
jd74914
All the 914's we've had have had the antennas on the left side IPB Image

So, I'm pretty sure that antennas (as well as the radios) were factory options, always installed at the driver's side

I though radios were dealer installed ( and dealer chosen) options. I didn't think any of that stuff was from the factory IPB Image IPB Image
skline
My yellow car had it on the passenger side and there was accommodations for it there too. By that I mean there was a hole with a grommet in the fender going into the car. I didnt cut the hole in the fender, the PO had done that but I went ahead and used that hole since it was already there.
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 11:19 AM)

well, that picture was obviously shot in germany. they never sold the 914 in US trim in germany, therefore, this must have been a "promo" car of sorts and *not* a dealer car.

I'm curious how you can tell the pic was taken in Germany. I've never been to Europe, so I don't even know what to look for IPB Image
spunone
My 73 has it on the Pass side as well IPB Image
jim912928
Gary,

I also got my electric hirschmann off of ebay. The guy I bought it from even gave me instructions for installing specifically on a 914. Works perfect and fit great. The place was glgdirect and the person I corresponded with through ebay auction was Gary.
Gustl
time to start my scanner ...

this is part of the '72 price list
for the 914 & 914/6 it says: radios with telescopic antenna left, speakers and antiinterferecne device
Gustl
the '74 price list says the same

maybe Andy could provide a better translation IPB Image
ClayPerrine
If you want a really good antenna cheap, go to a wrecking yard that has lots of caddilac cars in it. Find a power antenna from the caddy. You can get one with a broken mast for about 10 bucks or so. Make sure you get the relay and the mounting nut for the top of the fender. Don't worry if the mast is broken, the mast kit is 10 bucks from the dealer. Replace the mast, and install it in your 914. The antenna retracts below the level of the fender, so you don't have that annoying little bump.

Best of all... ITS CHEAP!!!!

I have one in each of the 914s. rocking nana.gif IPB Image
skline
Man, you guys really are some CSOB's. The Hirschman I bought was only $40.00 and it was brand new in the box. No jury rig on that one.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 10:53 AM)
I'm curious how you can tell the pic was taken in Germany. I've never been to Europe, so I don't even know what to look for IPB Image

look at the side road behind the blue car. there's a white pole with a black mark that goes down slightly in an angle.

that's a german road marker!
IPB Image Andy
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 19 2005, 01:46 PM)
Man, you guys really are some CSOB's. The Hirschman I bought was only $40.00 and it was brand new in the box. No jury rig on that one.

They are not "jury rigged", just repaired. Does the Hirschmann antenna drop below the fender when retracted? This one does.

Plus, I got both of mine for free while replacing the antenna for customers years ago. They still work.
McMark
I think the important question is, does anyone have a 914 with no antenna or hole?
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 19 2005, 04:09 PM)
I think the important question is, does anyone have a 914 with no antenna or hole?

yepp ...
SirAndy
anuther ...
McMark
So Karmann, never stamped a hole for an antenna. I would think if the Porsche factory was going to install antennas they would have put in a call to their chassis manufacturer and said, "Put in an antenna hole, bitte."
SirAndy
and more ...
SpecialK
My '75 had the ant. installed on the narrow piece of metal next to the engine lid on the driver's side. No indication that there was ever an ant. installed on either fender. I'm contemplating installing my Herschmann power ant. in the same location on my '73, and welding up the hole in the fender for a smoother look.
SirAndy
last ...
nebreitling
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 10:53 AM)

look at the side road behind the blue car. there's a white pole with a black mark that goes down slightly in an angle.

that's a german road marker!
IPB Image Andy

the stiff-postured driver wearing the turtleneck sweater gave it away for me.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

sorry andy
SpecialK
I like the looks of the cars Andy posted. No ant. visible, and no dumbass looking sidemarkers either.
bondo
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 19 2005, 05:28 PM)
I like the looks of the cars Andy posted. No ant. visible, and no dumbass looking sidemarkers either.

Here's another option, for those that missed it. Antenna Thread
Gint
QUOTE (McMark Posted on Jan 19 2005 @ 05:09 PM)

Yup. I do! IPB Image
Dr Evil
Here is another option, power antenna.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.