Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re doing the interior
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wdunster
It has only taken me 20 years to start doing something substantial to the interior of ugly. I have located a company that sells auto/ aviation leather. I ordered one Hyde 52square feet and one hide at 25 square feet and only spent $235.00. I am planning on sending the smaller piece leather to Classic 9leather and he will cut and sew the dash cover and knee pad cover. He actually sells the leather cover for the upper and knee pad for around $300.00 shipped. (You have to install) I will be covering all the other interior components as well minus the back pad. (That will be when I can collect the funds) I will take photos as I progress. Keep your fingers crossed!
Dtjaden
I have plans to do this also over time. I will be very interested in following your experience. Please post photo's as you get finished pieces!
Wdunster
I will be happy to. I am pretty excited to get it done.
GeorgeRud
Though leather does have a great smell and feel, you do have to concerned about it shrinking and distorting panels over time. Just ask anyone that has a leather covered older 911 dash!
iamchappy
I love my leather interior, good choice.
Wdunster
I was worried about the shrinkage as well and did some research on it and it seems the ones that have had the biggest issue spent most of their time outdoors and we're not cared for properly. Little ugly spends most of the time next to the wife's car in the garage. I figured it was worth a shot.
hblyle
Looking forward to seeing this happen! I have similar plans in the future. Do you have a link to the leather you purchased?
Wdunster
Here is where I found the leather.
I haven't received it yet but I will post the quality once I get it in. Classic 9 leather is where they can recover the dash and knee pads. Send him yours and he will re do them both in leather for around $700 or you can buy the stitched covers for around $300 as mentioned in my first post. I have seen Bob's work and he is amazing.

http://www.leatherhidestore.com/discount-l...er-cowhide.html
naro914
Bill and I talked about this yesterday and I am very interested in doing the dash and knee pad on Huey too. Bill's the guinea pig here smile.gif so I want to see how it turns out. Might be my winter project...
BIGKAT_83
I've be by Classic 9leather and anything they do is top notch work. He has even done cars for Jay Leno. I had him quote a price on a dash several years ago and it was way more than $300

Bob
dcecc1968
I'll be watching progress. I've been thinking about re-doing my seats in leather as well. Nice to hear about another NC teener.
Wdunster
$300 is just for the covers no installation.
Wdunster
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Jun 25 2014, 01:06 PM) *

I'll be watching progress. I've been thinking about re-doing my seats in leather as well. Nice to hear about another NC teener.

I hope you are planning to go to Octeenerfest!
pdlightning
QUOTE(hblyle @ Jun 24 2014, 08:11 PM) *

Looking forward to seeing this happen! I have similar plans in the future. Do you have a link to the leather you purchased?

I too, am planning on covering my knee pad and dash but with Ultra leather or quality vinyl /Naugahyde. Maybe they will be more for giving than actual leather. Thanks
And keep us informed.
dcecc1968
QUOTE(Wdunster @ Jun 26 2014, 12:10 AM) *

QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Jun 25 2014, 01:06 PM) *

I hope you are planning to go to Octeenerfest!

Can't make Okteenerfest due to schedule (but my teener is probably not ready for it either), but post lots of photos.
-Don
jim_hoyland
About 10 years ago I reupholstered in beige/tan leather and a nice looking vinyl product. Seats, dash, and A pillars are in leather; the backpad, center cushin, and are in the vinyl. The kneepad was dyed to match.

The vinyl coverings are easiest to clean and look very good; the leather require more attention and will wear quicker. My driver side seat bolster shows signs of significant wear. The dyed parts ( knee pad and original sun visors ) really held up well. The kneepad still looks new, and it was originally black.

computers4kids
James (morph) covered my dash in leather 5 years ago and it still looks like the day I got it---awesome workmanship. No signs of aging/shrinking. The car is garaged from the intense CA valley sun which I'm sure has helped.
Wdunster
Okay, for those who are interested. The leather came in today and is awesome. Took it to an apholstery shop that I deal with for his opinion and was very impressed piratenanner.gif with the quality. Told me it was less expensive than what he pays for it and equal quality.
JmuRiz
I'll be following this...
Wdunster
Roll bar pad and "b" pillars covered. Not too bad to work with. It's tough to get it in around the roof handles and to get it around the corners. I tried not to stretch it too far to compensate for shrinking. Here are a few images of the roll bar. I still have to instal the screw hole plugs. I still think it's funny they have a clothes hook on these cars. Can't see hanging my suit off of these things. Seats will be done by the upholstery shop along with the center console pad and box. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
naro914
You just want to win in the car show at Okteenerfest don't you!! smile.gif
Wdunster
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 28 2014, 08:22 AM) *

You just want to win in the car show at Okteenerfest don't you!! smile.gif

I've won before at Auto Fair, ugly was just the only 914 there. Lol hope you having a good time at the Glenn!
Wdunster
Just a quick update. I dropped a set of seats,arm rests and center console pad to the apholstry shop with the leather. They will be starting on it tomorrow and plan to be fairly stock looking seats. I will be like an expecting father in the waiting room for the next few days. w00t.gif I haven't really done any more to the parts I'm doing. I decided to paint my youngest sons 944. I'll be back on it in a few days.
B.
nsr-jamie
Sorry, dont want to change topics on this thread but noticed that digital meter you have on your very nice leather covered dash and was wondering what that is??

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 27 2014, 01:18 AM) *

James (morph) covered my dash in leather 5 years ago and it still looks like the day I got it---awesome workmanship. No signs of aging/shrinking. The car is garaged from the intense CA valley sun which I'm sure has helped.

Wdunster
Time for a quick update. Seats center pad and interior door handles should be done tshould be done this week. All the other parts are covered. Dash will be next. Here is a couple of pictures of the drivers door an drool bar pad. More to come.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jul 2 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Sorry, dont want to change topics on this thread but noticed that digital meter you have on your very nice leather covered dash and was wondering what that is??

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 27 2014, 01:18 AM) *

Looks like an A/F meter (air fuel).
naro914
QUOTE(Wdunster @ Jul 27 2014, 11:32 PM) *

.... an drool bar pad.

drooley.gif

and who taught you how to take and post pictures? Let TJ do it, obviously you're too old for this high tech stuff...
Wdunster
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 28 2014, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Jul 27 2014, 11:32 PM) *

.... an drool bar pad.

drooley.gif

and who taught you how to take and post pictures? Let TJ do it, obviously you're too old for this high tech stuff...

And so what is wrong with my post? Hater confused24.gif lol-2.gif
I can even use the emojis
Wdunster
Okay even though Bob won't like my post smile.gif. The seats are in ! piratenanner.gif
The center pad will be ready in a day or so.I pad taking grainy pictures. Stitching in the seats are yellow.
Wdunster
I phone pictures are definitely clearer
76-914
Very nice. Do we have a jealousy avatar?
Wdunster
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 29 2014, 10:48 AM) *

Very nice. Do we have a jealousy avatar?

I didn't see one. Thanks for the complement. I decided to do the dash in vinyl instead of leather. Worried about shrinking too much.
Cost has not been too bad so far.

Harpo
Bob did my seats in leather euro perf and they look awesome. The bolsters, center arm rest & back pad are all smooth non perforated leather

Dave
CptTripps
That looks outstanding
Chris H.
Yes it does! I usually like the stock look but that looks GREAT!
Wdunster
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 30 2014, 12:32 PM) *

Yes it does! I usually like the stock look but that looks GREAT!

Thank you! Little ugly isn't very stock any more so I figured it wouldn't,t hurt. It is a 71, 73, 74 914-6 conversion. 72 counting the 2.4-6 Lol. Kinda like Johnny cash's Cadillac
wndsnd
Looks real nice.

John
Wdunster
Waiting on the dash to be completed by my Upholstery guys. Figured I would do some work on the rest of the car. Put foot well courtesy lights in and added carpet to the frunk. I should have everything ready for teener. driving.gif
Here are a couple of pictures. Hopefully I can get them to load right side up.
B
Harpo
Wow your front trunk looks awesome. Did bob (classic 9) do this for you? I was planning on having my trunk repainted but that looks so much better

David
Wdunster
Thanks!
I didn't get the carpet from Bob. I bought the carpet locally and cut the pieces myself. It isn't that hard to do if you take your time. I made the pattern for one side out of scrap carpet then used that to make both sides. Glued with a vinyl top adhesive. Amazing how it changed the trunk and the noise it makes when you open and close it.
Cairo94507
Very nice work.
Wdunster
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 1 2014, 08:47 AM) *

Very nice work.

Thank you sir!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.