Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The deed is done, Mistress has....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
...a new paint job! I had the shop use the original L99A Delphi Green, but we found a body label that called it Saturngelb L99A, so I guess marketing made the difference. But now can I still say that she's "mostly all original?" The original clearcoat was shot, chipping and peeling on the top surfaces, vertical surfaces looked like new, but she was stripped down to bare metal for dent and ding repairs. And now she's BEAUTIFUL!! aktion035.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 24 2014, 05:10 PM) *

...a new paint job! I had the shop use the original L99A Delphi Green, but we found a body label that called it Saturngelb L99A, so I guess marketing made the difference. But now can I still say that she's "mostly all original?" The original clearcoat was shot, chipping and peeling on the top surfaces, vertical surfaces looked like new, but she was stripped down to bare metal for dent and ding repairs. And now she's BEAUTIFUL!! aktion035.gif

Be sure not to post any pictures......you know how we feel about pictures. shades.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 24 2014, 05:18 PM) *

Be sure not to post any pictures......you know how we feel about pictures. shades.gif

But she looks the same as before, only more shiny on top, so I haven't as yet had the time to grab a new image! Do I see from your "I turn" comment that you're a woodturner? bye1.gif
mepstein
I didn't realize the cars were sprayed with clear at the factory?
914Sixer
Late cars with metallic paint from 74-76 had clear coat. Usually there was a foil type tag in the door jam indicating the paint number.
Jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 24 2014, 05:56 PM) *

Late cars with metallic paint from 74-76 had clear coat. Usually there was a foil type tag in the door jam indicating the paint number.

Mistress is a Feb. 1973 build car, but the Delphi Green was an extra cost($209) optional color for 73 and 74 years only as far as I have discovered. I don't know if that qualifies as a custom color from the factory, but there are certainly few samples of this color around.
larryg
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 24 2014, 06:10 PM) *

Hey Jamie, look familiar? Just had my 73 repainted it's original Delphi Green Metallic. We used Glasurit paint and the can reads "VW L99A Saturn Yellow Met" Wife calls it slug gut green, I'm with you and call it beautiful! Post some photos!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Socalandy
Nice drooley.gif I love Delphi
larryg
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 24 2014, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 24 2014, 05:56 PM) *

Mistress is a Feb. 1973 build car, but the Delphi Green was an extra cost($209) optional color for 73 and 74 years only as far as I have discovered. I don't know if that qualifies as a custom color from the factory, but there are certainly few samples of this color around.

Here's the color brochure for 73

Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(larryg @ Jun 24 2014, 08:10 PM) *

Hey Jamie, look familiar? Just had my 73 repainted it's original Delphi Green Metallic. We used Glasurit paint and the can reads "VW L99A Saturn Yellow Met" Wife calls it slug gut green, I'm with you and call it beautiful! Post some photos!

Looks great Larry! Dad bought the car without Mom's permission, so she called the color "Urine Yellow! I wonder how far apart our VIN numbers are? Mine is 4732914926
larryg
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 25 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Looks great Larry! Dad bought the car without Mom's permission, so she called the color "Urine Yellow! I wonder how far apart our VIN numbers are? Mine is 4732914926

VIN is 4732903536. Sticker price $4,199 and the beautiful Urine Yellow paint cost an extra $187.00
Jamie
QUOTE(larryg @ Jun 25 2014, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 25 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Yours is older, so I guess that's why my purchase price and paint cost were higher-inflation! blink.gif

VIN is 4732903536. Sticker price $4,199 and the beautiful Urine Yellow paint cost an extra $187.00
larryg
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 25 2014, 07:51 AM) *

Nice drooley.gif I love Delphi

A person of good taste!
RenoRoger
How much did this paint job cost you in 2014??
yeahmag
Getting ready to respray my Delphi Green 914 as well! Did you do it yourself?
larryg
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Jun 25 2014, 02:17 PM) *

How much did this paint job cost you in 2014??

Waaaay more than $187! With some minor body work, permanent removal and bondo of the marker lights and the radio antenna, exterior paint only (nothing in the trunks, the engine compartment or the interior) and I stripped it down and reassembled it the total bill was around $8K.
larryg
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 25 2014, 02:47 PM) *

I didn't spray myself, not sure about Jamie.
larryg
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 25 2014, 02:47 PM) *

Since you're in Portland. I used Superior Performance Auto Body in Northwest Portland, they did a great job on both body and paint. The owner restores 60 muscle cars but just generally loves cars. Good luck with the paint job.
Java2570
Beautiful cars, guys! I love that Delphi Green metallic!!
larryg
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jun 25 2014, 03:30 PM) *

Beautiful cars, guys! I love that Delphi Green metallic!!

How could all those new green Kia owners be wrong!
bigkensteele

Wow, can't believe you pulled the trigger! I know that you are discerning, so I hope that the job met your expectations. This car has earned a nice new coat!

For those who haven't seen Jamie's car, it is about as original as they get while still having been driven and enjoyed. His dad was an engineer, and if you look around the car, there are those old labels made with the "clicky" label maker indicating what fluids are specified and such. Very much cared for over the years and fun to examine.

Congrats on the new skin! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.