Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legal to tow a vehicle behind my trailer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I'm still not sure if I'll be driving my 914 down to So-Cal or trailer it.....I was thinking that I could trailer it my car and if we did have another 914 suffer a major breakdown, we could take my car off the trailer and put the broken down car on my trailer and let that person drive my car (to the event, not during IPB Image )

or....I could attach a tow rig behind my trailer and tow a 914 behind my trailer....

full size F150 SuperCrew so I shouldn't have an issue with the weight.....
drew365
Unless your trailer is a 5th wheel, I doubt you can pull another trailer or another car behind it.
mikerose
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 19 2005, 08:02 AM)

or....I could attach a tow rig behind my trailer and tow a 914 behind my trailer....

Sorry Mike not in california IPB Image
skline
Not legally. The only way would be if it was a 5th wheel. And even then, it's iffy.
mikerose
Not in california
Mueller
oh well...it was an idea , not a great one, but an idea IPB Image

hmmm, with a little bit of cutting and welding we could extend my trailer to fit two 914s IPB Image IPB Image
EdwardBlume
C'mon, just go out and rent a car hauler.
SLITS
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 19 2005, 09:12 AM)

hmmm, with a little bit of cutting and welding we could extend my trailer to fit two 914s IPB Image IPB Image

If you go over 40' in total length, you better have a class "B" Commercial License and DOT Medical Card in your wallet.
Trekkor
I would not try to tow that much with a F-150.

Nice truck, don't get me wrong. I like ford trucks.
Not enough truck for a rig that long.

Just tow one, bro. IPB Image

Now I guy I know, tows his big fifth wheel with his ski boat behind that. It's insane...The length.
he uses his F-350 turbo Diesel. It's like 6" shorter than the legal tow length. 60 FT? seems to stand out for some reason. IPB Image

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 19 2005, 09:16 AM)

hmmm, with a little bit of cutting and welding we could extend my trailer to fit two 914s  :smash:  :welder:

If you go over 40' in total length, you better have a class "B" Commercial License and DOT Medical Card in your wallet.

got those as well as a few other ratings (ex-cement truck driver IPB Image )

I'm just kidding about lengthening my trailer guys IPB Image
neo914-6
Mike,
Not sure if you saw this WCC05 multi-914 transport
They originally told me my Neo914 would be transported in an open trailer to Seattle and they sent a nice enclosed multi-level race car transport instead...
Allan
Since there seems to be quite a few of us that will be trailering something to the WCC, will there be some place that we can park the trailers and dollies that will be legal/safe?
michel richard
What's a fifth wheel ?
bondo

Just load em sideways IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (michel richard @ Jan 19 2005, 11:03 AM)
What's a fifth wheel ?

This is a 5th wheel. Can only be towed with a pickup that has a semi-style hitch dealie mounted in the bed.

IPB Image
URY914
As we all know, anything is legal until you get caught IPB Image
neo914-6

hmmm, with a little bit of cutting and welding we could extend my trailer to fit two 914s    

Just load em sideways  

Stack em like the garage lifts, I'm sure you can design sumthin... IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jan 19 2005, 11:17 AM)

hmmm, with a little bit of cutting and welding we could extend my trailer to fit two 914s    

Just load em sideways  

Stack em like the garage lifts, I'm sure you can design sumthin... IPB Image

I thought about that....the c/g of the new trailer would sorta scare me....
neo914-6
just move the wheels toward the ends...
short version of this:
Mueller
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jan 19 2005, 11:32 AM)
just move the wheels toward the ends...
short version of this:

the real challange would be finding someone brave enough to load their car on top IPB Image it's my trailer, I call the bottom bunk, hahahahaha
neo914-6
yeah, I'd hate to see what happens when you slam the brakes! IPB Image
jd74914
naah, railroad tracks are worse; much worse IPB Image

remember all the 356s on that transport that got hit by a train IPB Image last year. that really sucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.