Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JUTE carpet padding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Can anyone give me some feedback on the best weight to buy? eBay Jute

This eBay store has several weights. This one is the heaviest at 40 lbs. My car still had this stuff in it. My guess is it is 20 or 10 lb stuff. I am using the b-quiet ultimate 1st. Figured I'd add this stuff too.

I figure it will add some insulation, sound dampening and soften the carpet. Pretty cheap too.

Thoughts?

Clark
Sfreeman615
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 24 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Can anyone give me some feedback on the best weight to buy? eBay Jute

This eBay store has several weights. This one is the heaviest at 40 lbs. My car still had this stuff in it. My guess is it is 20 or 10 lb stuff. I am using the b-quiet ultimate 1st. Figured I'd add this stuff too.

I figure it will add some insulation, sound dampening and soften the carpet. Pretty cheap too.

Thoughts?

Clark

I'd go with the 20 if you are using the b-quiet as well! That's a really good price!
malcolm2
bump for JUTE input.....

poke.gif
damesandhotrods
At half an inch it’s kind of thick. I could see it helping to keep heat and cold from transmitting through the floor boards. I’m just not sure that it’ll make much difference as far as sound. As you drive along, there isn’t much noise generated under the car, the noise is coming from the engine behind the firewall.
McMark
Zero.

You asked. smile.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jun 27 2014, 12:17 PM) *

At half an inch it’s kind of thick. I could see it helping to keep heat and cold from transmitting through the floor boards. I’m just not sure that it’ll make much difference as far as sound. As you drive along, there isn’t much noise generated under the car, the noise is coming from the engine behind the firewall.

When i pulled the rear panel it had jute glued to it. So sound and heat blocked from the upper firewall. My minimal study has led me to understand that stuff like the stick on tar panels knock down the high freq rattles and the thicker pad like jute takes care of the lower freq sound. Any sound engineers out there? People will put a patch of B-Quiet on the outer skin in the door. Not the full coverage, just a patch. It lowers the high freq vibrations on that large flat panel.
damesandhotrods
Glued to the rear panel? I’d be concerned about the jute fiber trapping moisture and promoting rust. Jute fiber carpet padding was the go to insulation back before the modern insulations hit the market. Jute fiber’s heyday was in ‘70s van conversions.
McMark
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jun 28 2014, 07:19 PM) *

Glued to the rear panel? I’d be concerned about the jute fiber trapping moisture and promoting rust.

Ding ding ding! agree.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 28 2014, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jun 28 2014, 07:19 PM) *

Glued to the rear panel? I’d be concerned about the jute fiber trapping moisture and promoting rust.

Ding ding ding! agree.gif

wouldn't carpet do that? isn't the perlon stuff like a scotch brite pad... (sponge)? the black crap that the factory put on the floor did not help, it directed water straight to the hinges and the center "hat" channels, not to mention trapping it against the depressions in the floor panel, so nothing is going to stop water except a garage.

Good thing I will not be driving under water blink.gif

Sounds like I am the only one trying this stuff. It was easy to work with and inexpensive. I'll have the new carpet in by the weekend and will be able to report on the sound effects.

UPDATE: from driving with nothing but the seats and the dash to driving with "b-quiet", jute, carpet, and back pad is very nice. Now I need to get some window seals. They will only be rolled up in the winter, but that will also keep some cold out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.