Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COTM July - August 2014
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawn914
UPDATED....CONGRATULATIONS ANDY!
piratenanner.gif
Thanks to everyone who voted and or commented. Also thanks to the contestants for showing us the photos in this thread and elsewhere on the board, and also for the positive comments during the contest.
Look for Andy's car on the home page soon!

914World - the competition is now closed. Thanks for Voting for your favorite.

We have a great selection of cars this month - USA and Germany competing.
The poll will remain open until the end of June.
Contestants - please add MORE photos of your cars - the more the better and any ownership experience commentary also welcome!

VOTE!

shawn914
Rick 918-S - Rick

Click to view attachment
shawn914
Socalandy - Andy
Click to view attachment
shawn914
JRust -Jamie

Click to view attachment
shawn914
ConeDodger - Rob
Click to view attachment
shawn914
221kw914 - Alex
Click to view attachment

tscrihfield
Hardest vote for me to date! But I love SoCalandys car!

Thomas
JRust
I gotta give Andy huge prop's! His restoration was incredible. So dialed in everywhere pray.gif . You got my vote
AvalonFal
Gotta go JRust ---- color, wheels and stripes just look great.
Paul
JmuRiz
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jun 24 2014, 06:18 PM) *

Hardest vote for me to date! But I love SoCalandys car!

Thomas

I agree, totally hard choice!
PanelBilly
This ones going to require some additional information. Start bragging about your cars and share the details
rick 918-S
Every part of this conversion is custom made. They don't make any parts at Kennedy to do this. An all Porsche V8 conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDZkcwPA7OA

We have driven this car from coast to coast numerous times as hard as we could run it.
rick 918-S
One of my favorite photos take by my friend Howard.

"The Money Shot"

Click to view attachment

Check out the reflection in the lid.
rick 918-S
Bath time

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
Socalandy
Some before and after shots
rick 918-S
During the build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpXwbIbR0uk
Socalandy
We need to see some more pics of the other teeners. A few more, I don't think I ever posted pictures of the finished interior.
ben*james
Narrow body?...wink.gif
mgp4591
Freakin' tough! There are some great build threads that I haven't seen but Andy looks to have started from VERY rough beginnings to a beautiful car. Alex has great documentation too and all, I do mean ALL of these cars are phenomenal! Looking forward to seeing a few in Sept.- best of luck to all nominated! smilie_pokal.gif
ConeDodger
Sorry guys, I'm wat too busy to post any pictures. I won't even be home until Tuesday next week...
computers4kids
I feel like a kid in a candy store--mom, do I have to choose just one? Each one of these cars are deserving and uniquely special for different reasons. All are striking, and show a high level of workmanship. Choosing a car for the month when a gorgeous six is included makes it even harder. I finally had to factor in "rare" "unique" and "special" to arrive at the "all porsche v-8 conversion" choice for this month's car of the month. first.gif
JeffBowlsby
Rick...Always loved the Alien... wink.gif

Which year/specs for the 928 engine did you use by the way and what FI does it have?
bulitt
So I nominated Alex, I will post some pics for him. He doesn't speak English very well but always takes the time to try and answer any questions. He works alone, and makes all his own stuff. That is all.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
turk22
I would vote for a 5 way tie, but that option wasn't there...

tough vote, all excellent cars, with excellent workmanship!

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 26 2014, 12:13 PM) *

Rick...Always loved the Alien... wink.gif

Which year/specs for the 928 engine did you use by the way and what FI does it have?

Thanks Jeff!

The engine started out as a 1980 300 hp. 4.7 euro spec "S" After a broken Cam shaft destroyed two engines (one on the first crank of the starter unsure.gif) I ended up having the block bored out to 5.0. I had a set of 5.0 32 valve pistons notched for 16 valves heads and built what the 928 guys call a hybrid. This combo has been dyno tested in the 928's chassis turning all the accessories over 350 hp. to the rear wheels.

Here's the broken cam that cost me two engines.

Click to view attachment

Here's the photo used in 2004 Excellence Magazine. The photo was taken at the WCR at Parts Heaven Swap Meet. This was the car's debut. Sandy and I have been cris-crossing the country from event to event ever since.

Click to view attachment

Here's the engine I built. I built every part of this car.

Click to view attachment
speed metal army
Alien gets my vote.
Love the Porsche V8. aktion035.gif
nsr-jamie
All the cars are beautiful....everyone of them has fender flairs.
Johny Blackstain
Rick: I like the 1978 928 style upholstery, but how the hell do you drive that car w/ the seats so far up? biggrin.gif
Sleepin
Riding in the Alien is difficult at best for anyone over 5'10"...at 6'1" I was crammed in it.....but it was one of the most amazing rides in a 914 that I have ever experienced!

Good luck to all! Each car should be a winner this month!
Sleepin
Riding in the Alien is difficult at best for anyone over 5'10"...at 6'1" I was crammed in it.....but it was one of the most amazing rides in a 914 that I have ever experienced!

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jun 27 2014, 12:51 PM) *

I'm 6'0" & keep both my teeners exactly 1 notch up from all the way back. Not used to seeing all that space behind the seats laugh.gif
Andyrew
Have to give it to Rick, First car I ever had fun with competing against on a track. His v8 against my v8 back in 2005! I might even have some pics of that somewhere...
rick 918-S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRf69SC1EQ0
computers4kids
Rick,
when you get the itch to build another motor for your car--I want your porsche v8 wub.gif for my marathon blue 75. smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 28 2014, 12:53 PM) *

Rick,
when you get the itch to build another motor for your car--I want your porsche v8 wub.gif for my marathon blue 75. smile.gif

There a very interesting engine. Lots of F.I. influence.
relentless
I really want to vote for the Alien, but Rick, is your carpet really that dirty?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(relentless @ Jun 28 2014, 01:46 PM) *

I really want to vote for the Alien, but Rick, is your carpet really that dirty?

lol-2.gif Ya! I drive this thing! I think that photo was from the Mid West Ramble like 2005? Sandy and I drove 14 hrs. one way to the event.

Currently the car has a broken windshield, a cam seal leak and damage on the front fiber glass bumper among other things. Just some paint and cleaning and it will be as good as new.
shawn914
Bump for outstanding contest this month.
Vote for your choice - contest will close at the end of June.
shawn914
Contest closes tonight. Please VOTE!!
Now is the time to decide and vote for our July-August 2014 COTM.
These cars are among the finest examples of craftsmanship, ownership and driving experience among the 914World community. Exemplary in all ways. Like all COTM contests!
Let your membership count - vote. And comment too.

Thanks World. smile.gif
Shawn
CptTripps
I love that Rick's 914-8 SOUNDS like a Porsche. All of the V8 conversions I've ever seen (and heard) sound like an 80's Trans-Am.

Great options in this one, but Rick has my vote.
JRust
I voted for Andy's beautiful six. Having followed his thread on it's restoration. I couldn't not vote for it. All of the work he has put into bringing that car back to life. Made it a pretty easy vote for me.

Ricks would be next in line for me. Always loved the Alien & the fact that Rick drives out for event's in it. From frickin Minnisota or some backwoods State wink.gif . Not only did he build the car himself it is truly unique. There is not another 928 powered 914 out there I know of. If this car of the month had been a year down the road. I would have probably given Rick the nod.

I haven't posted anything on my car. It is beautiful & I love it's color. It's build was done incredibly by my friend Dean. Since all I can really take credit for is prying it from his grasp evilgrin.gif . I'm just enjoying enjoying driving my 914. Something I haven't gotten to do very reliably since I have been into 914's. It's been one project after the other. Mixed with small portions of having a running driving car. So I am loving hopping into my car & driving it wherever the hell I want. Between my 3500 mile trek to Route 66 & another 1300 or so for WCR in Tahoe. I have managed to put about 7000 miles on my car since I got last August. Not bad considering I didn't drive it for a good 3 month block of winter.

Rob's car is a beauty & I know him well. Always enjoy catching up at event's with him. Silver is not my favorite 914 color. I don't mind it & Rob's car is absolutely sweet. I've seen it's transformation to flares & a 6 recently. Huge prop's to Rob & his killer car. For this COTM I just couldn't do it sad.gif Sorry Rob

Alex- bud your car is sweet. I love green & it was great to learn more about your build. I guess that is one thread I missed. Doing all the work yourself too is awesome pray.gif . I hope to see you at an event somewhere in the future. Sweet ride & I am sure a future COTM winner biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 30 2014, 08:45 AM) *

I voted for Andy's beautiful six. Having followed his thread on it's restoration. I couldn't not vote for it. All of the work he has put into bringing that car back to life. Made it a pretty easy vote for me.

Ricks would be next in line for me. Always loved the Alien & the fact that Rick drives out for event's in it. From frickin Minnisota or some backwoods State wink.gif . Not only did he build the car himself it is truly unique. There is not another 928 powered 914 out there I know of. If this car of the month had been a year down the road. I would have probably given Rick the nod.

I haven't posted anything on my car. It is beautiful & I love it's color. It's build was done incredibly by my friend Dean. Since all I can really take credit for is prying it from his grasp evilgrin.gif . I'm just enjoying enjoying driving my 914. Something I haven't gotten to do very reliably since I have been into 914's. It's been one project after the other. Mixed with small portions of having a running driving car. So I am loving hopping into my car & driving it wherever the hell I want. Between my 3500 mile trek to Route 66 & another 1300 or so for WCR in Tahoe. I have managed to put about 7000 miles on my car since I got last August. Not bad considering I didn't drive it for a good 3 month block of winter.

Rob's car is a beauty & I know him well. Always enjoy catching up at event's with him. Silver is not my favorite 914 color. I don't mind it & Rob's car is absolutely sweet. I've seen it's transformation to flares & a 6 recently. Huge prop's to Rob & his killer car. For this COTM I just couldn't do it sad.gif Sorry Rob

Alex- bud your car is sweet. I love green & it was great to learn more about your build. I guess that is one thread I missed. Doing all the work yourself too is awesome pray.gif . I hope to see you at an event somewhere in the future. Sweet ride & I am sure a future COTM winner biggrin.gif

agree.gif it should be 100 to 0, 0, 0 for Andy's car. I'm surprised that Rick's alien wasn't a COTM long ago as the engineering and reliability are legendary. I believe your car was already a COTM when Dean owned it Jamie. I don't remember Dean's screen name to check it though.
As for mine, I'm flattered but while it may be close enough to get noticed, it isn't quite done. McMark and I discussed a photo shoot with garbage cans and dumpsters yesterday though bootyshake.gif Bovey!
computers4kids
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 30 2014, 10:02 AM) *

I'm surprised that Rick's alien wasn't a COTM long ago as the engineering and reliability are legendary.

agree.gif I love to see remarkable daily drivers as car of the month contestants. I enjoy re-reading often the re-birth stories of these cars!
kUDOS to everyone.
rick 918-S
Sorry you were out of town Rob but you'll get nominated again. There were some awesome cars in the running here again. Actually There are LOTS or awesome cars on this site. drooley.gif

The Alien is a road warrior. We have been at triple digits for 40+ miles at a time as we traveled to and from 914 events on some of the greatest roads in this country. She has scorched the black top from coast to coast. So many times in fact that she's ready for a procedure. Freshen the engine, fix some rust and damage, replace the busted windshield and on and on. But hey, it was fun building the car and it will be fun reburbing her too.

I nominated a couple of the cars here. Not because I thought I could beat them but because I knew they deserved to be on the front page. Great contest everyone!
shawn914
COTM for July-August 2014 has a winner - Socalandy! piratenanner.gif
Thanks to all the contestants for participating in the poll and showing us your former projects and now amazing 914s.
Very enjoyable to read about these 914s on the board, and I'm probably not alone is bookmarking images from these builds as reference material for re-assembly of a project 914, or for possible modification of a running car. Inspirational!

And thanks to all 914World members who chimed in and/or voted. It's your contest and you made this month a great success.

NEXT COTM: "September-October" - more later...
SirAndy
About time someone put that car on the homepage ...
poke.gif

http://www.914world.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.