Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rubber seal install questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I'm going to replace my windshield frame seal (top and A-pillar) and the 2 vertical window seals (B-pillar) that mount on the body near the roll bar.

When I removed the old seals, I noticed on the inside of the frame, there are a few indentations which I guess are to prevent the seals from moving up/down.

Should I straighten the trim in these areas, install the new seals and then bend/peen the trim back?
914werke
Good question Mike. I just pulled those same seals and noticed the same thing. Id seen it befor on prevois cars but never given an thought. Apparrenly no adhisive was ever used so on the vertical sections the seals were simply "pinched" IPB Image
OT: I know you have a few things going on (Dizzy ect) but did you ever get to mock up that Hub? IPB Image
SLITS
If you don't straighten them, you won't get the seal in. You can "re-peen" them after installation. And use lots of soapy water.
Root_Werks
I haven never bothered to re-bend the trim. I straighten it out and just leave it. Never had a problem with the rubber scooting around. It is so hard to get in. IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 19 2005, 08:21 AM)
and then bend/peen the trim back?

i didn't ...

i straightend as good as i could and then ground off anything that stuck out.
didn't pinch the new rubber, seems to work just fine ....
IPB Image Andy
Sammy
I've used soapy water too, but recently someone said that using talcum powder works much better. Any BTDT experiences out there?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jan 19 2005, 01:17 PM)
Any BTDT experiences out there?

yes

DON'T try to slide them in. put one side into the channel, then use something like a (blunt) flat-blade screwdriver to tuck in the opposite side.
works *much* faster and easier ...

IPB Image Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jan 19 2005, 01:17 PM)
Any BTDT experiences out there?

yes

DON'T try to slide them in. put one side into the channel, then use something like a (blunt) flat-blade screwdriver to tuck in the opposite side.

IPB Image Andy

any need for lubrication of any sort with that method??
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 19 2005, 01:26 PM)
any need for lubrication of any sort with that method??

nope ...
JWest
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 04:22 PM)
yes

IPB Image Andy

I concur - I have had much better luck this way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.