Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearing wipe and Piston 'burn pattern'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
Tore my motor down for a rebuild because of a suspected bearing noise.
Guess i was right(in denial). Oh well, done is done, right?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I thought it was odd that it was only on second main bearing and one rod were damaged. What ever was in there made a couple trips around then F'd off.

But was wondering if this burn pattern on the pistons is a sign of any thing.
only 50k on the motor. I havent check fuel pressure yet and whether the injectors are leaking. Did have a surging idle though, From stall to 900 rpm.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Heres a better idea of how they burned. Dont recall ever hearing detonation. Compression on the 'clean' side is 110 and 115. Dirtier side is(1 and 2) are 125 and 120.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Krieger
Yea that is an odd burn pattern. It looks kinda like the start of a head gasket leak on a water cooled motor..
cwpeden
Nobody has any ideas if this is normal for 50k?
McMark
Looks like every motor I've torn down. thumb3d.gif
cwpeden
Thanks, I havent seen clean pistons before and thought it may be a sign of something.
69telecaster
Considering less-than-high-quality gas, for 50k...not bad.
Too bad about the bearings. I guess you can look at it as an "opportunity" to check everything out. How does the crank look?

cm
SirAndy
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 25 2014, 06:43 PM) *
Compression on the 'clean' side is 110 and 115. Dirtier side is(1 and 2) are 125 and 120.

Makes sense.

Back in my dirt-bike racing days, we used carbon buildup (by adding extra oil to the gas) to seal off gouges in the cylinder walls (usually left there by previously exploding rings or pistons).
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.