Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission gear oil preferences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
harlenl
Hey Guys,
I'm sure this is an old topic, but I couldn't locate a thread. What is your preference for transmission gear oil? I have a '73 2.0 with about 20k miles since its rebuild back in '84.

Redline MTL?
Swepco?

Thanks

Harlen
Mark Henry
Swepco has a pretty blue colour that makes it easy to tell between engine oil or tranny oil dripping on the floor.

Better to change your oil more often than to spend money on expensive oil.
Use a name brand dino oil, but it doesn't have to be a big dollar brand.
Dave_Darling
Not Redline. Swepco, or a "regular" GL4 oil.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
What he said. Besides, MTL is a GL4 class oil, and is NOT suitable for use in transmissions with Porsche style synchros. Save your money and buy a good 80w90 GL5 dino oil, one with NO additives, friction modifiers, or says GL4-GL5 on the label.

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Regular 80w90 GL5 made it this far with your transmission, why pay more??
Matt Romanowski
I've been running Miller's Nano Drive in the track car. Not cheap, but has made the transmission last 2x as long as anything else!
yeahmag
I can't seem to find anything without friction modifiers, so I sucked it up and went with Swepco this time. My trans seems to like it.
Dr Evil
Change all of the Swepco and other fancy stuff often as it keeps crap in suspension and make a nice polishing compound for your internal parts (will lead to wear). Changing it removes the suspended particles and makes room for the new bunch. You would do well to put a filter over the vent on your case as that is one way crap gets in there, but the out put flange seals let some through, too.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 26 2014, 03:10 PM) *

What he said. Besides, MTL is a GL4 class oil, and is NOT suitable for use in transmissions with Porsche style synchros. Save your money and buy a good 80w90 GL5 dino oil, one with NO additives, friction modifiers, or says GL4-GL5 on the label.

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Listen to the Captain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.