Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd Place For A Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Well I had been very happy about the water tightness of my car after replacing so many of the seals. But tonight it was hammering rain and I felt a drip on my leg. It was coming from somewhere around the front trunk latch pull. WTF.gif

The only thing I could think of is the seal around the windshield.

Any thoughts on what to check? I think I am pulling off the windshield chrome.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 26 2014, 05:15 PM) *

Well I had been very happy about the water tightness of my car after replacing so many of the seals. But tonight it was hammering rain and I felt a drip on my leg. It was coming from somewhere around the front trunk latch pull. WTF.gif

I doubt that it would be from the windshield.
Check the front trunk for any water. See if the hood seal is sealing all the way around.

Bruce
SirAndy
Do you have an antenna on the drivers side? Could be leaking from the hole in the fender where the antenna cable goes inside the trunk.

Also check where the two evap hoses enter the trunk.

All of these enter from the inner fender well right above where the trunk latch mechanism is located.
idea.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 26 2014, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 26 2014, 05:15 PM) *

I doubt that it would be from the windshield.
Check the front trunk for any water. See if the hood seal is sealing all the way around.

Bruce

Just installed new front trunk seal. No water in trunk.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2014, 04:40 PM) *

Do you have an antenna on the drivers side? Could be leaking from the hole in the fender where the antenna cable goes inside the trunk.

Also check where the two evap hoses enter the trunk.

All of these enter from the inner fender well right above where the trunk latch mechanism is located.
idea.gif

Have antenna. Did not check that but that would seem a long way for water to travel. But I will see what I find.
zambezi
The water can splash up in the wheel well and hit the underside of the antennae and the antennae wire and then travel on the wire and through the grommet if it is not sealed well. It will then drip onto your leg inside the car.
toolguy
I'd squirt a hose only on the trunk seal, not the windshield. . flood it exactly as it was when it was pouring. . Open hood and look above drives pedal area where you felt the drip. . if you don't visually see anything, wipe it with a Kleenex. . which will pick up any trace water amount.
Are your drains on the air vent opening connected and not plugged up?
If it's leaking at the windshield glass, it would have to overcome the height of the inside sealing lip. . or have found a rust hole. .
r_towle
Did you take your prostrate medication today?
Mblizzard
Wow I must be posing my mind. I thought I posted an update, but that was a couple of beers ago!. I will try again.

The winner is a leaking windshield.

Click to view attachment

Found that the windshield was not attached to the adhesive in the corner where I saw the leak. A little pushing and probing showed that the chrome trim was all that was really holding the windshield in. Except for that one spot that caused the windshield to crack all the way down.

But it provides great access for changing the dash vinyl!

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.