Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Obnoxiously bright orangy-yellow...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
My original plan was to go with the yellow. (yellow is faster) The roller I ended up with is (and originally was) Zambezi Green. I can't afford an acid dip or sandblasting (the "right" way to do a color change). My thinking was to do it anyways, the best I could. I plan to paint it in my garage.

Recently though, I find that the Zambezi green is growing on me. I don't like it as much as the yellow, but I like it alot more than I did at first. This leads me to the dilemma of what to do. IPB Image
Mueller
I voted both....99% of my '73 is the same color green....the very top of the windshield frame is signal orange I believe...the contrasting colors looks pretty cool......I just have to get the guts to paint more of the top of the vehicle orange to see if I like it IPB Image
bondo
I did a google search for Zambezi Green, and found this. Pretty neat article, and check out how they did the half rotisserie thing with jackstands and an engine hoist! I have an engine hoist! IPB Image
jim912928
You might want to think about chemically stripping your car. I don't know what the body shop used that did mine..but they had the car stripped (outsides/door sills etc.) in two days. They brushed stuff on and off it came. I didn't worry about the trunk or the interior as my car was originally silver then painted dark grey...i took it back to silver.
bondo
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 19 2005, 12:47 PM)
You might want to think about chemically stripping your car.  I don't know what the body shop used that did mine..but they had the car stripped (outsides/door sills etc.) in two days.  They brushed stuff on and off it came.  I didn't worry about the trunk or the interior as my car was originally silver then painted dark grey...i took it back to silver.

I haven't had much luck doing that (probably because I used the hardware store "consumer grade" stuff)

Looks like an overwhelming majority for green. I wonder if I can find a slightly brighter and more obnoxious green (a compromise of sorts) IPB Image
bondo
(not ravenna green, that's TOO obnoxious) IPB Image
Root_Werks
Irish green rocks, Z green is cool too. IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 19 2005, 01:23 PM)
Irish green rocks, Z green is cool too. IPB Image

Hmm, I'll have to check the color code, it COULD be faded irish green IPB Image
bondo
Oops, nevermind. It's a 73, can't be Irish Green.
JmuRiz
Green can be faster:
IPB Image
SirAndy
i vote for "Signal Orange" ...

it's really growing on me (only took 30 years or so)
IPB Image Andy
mightyohm
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 01:19 PM)
i vote for "Signal Orange" ...

it's really growing on me (only took 30 years or so)
IPB Image Andy

Screw signal orange. Phoenix Red/Tangerine is better. IPB Image
bondo
I should have included Aubergine IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 01:33 PM)

IPB Image
scooter311
Okay so when I first bought my 73, it was a BAD repaint of original Zambezi - I mean, it looked like it was done by a room full of blind kids with paintrollers. I hated it, it reminded me of my dad's John Deere lawn tractor. Everyone laughed at it. Then I saw a pic of one done in cobalt blue metallic and fell in love with it. I did a complete color change and flares in blue, and it looks great, and I am extra-super happy with it, HOWEVER - -
While I was doing the bodywork, I stripped the hoods down past the original paint, and WOW that green was nice and bright. Even with the crappy paint, it stood out in traffic and caught people's attention (strange, slack-jawed stares mostly )
I am now really thinking that it may look retro-cool and racy if I left it original - oh well, I still love the blue, but there's always 'what if'......

So my vote is for GREEN!
IPB Image
SLITS
Paint it a "Rainbow" of colours and name it Jesse

Zambezi IPB Image
Series9
I'm going to have to go with:

Big surprise, right?
skline
I vote Yellow also, but I am biased.
scotty b
IPB Image silver metal flake ( the small stuff ) with candy green over top!!! IPB Image
Joe Bob
Delphi Green Metallic IPB Image
McMark
Zambezi green is my favorite stock color. The 914 I'm rust finishing up restoring is Zambezi and it's beautiful. IPB Image
Joe Bob
Gonna paint Frank silver in honor of the rebel without a clue....dead fifty years now.
Series9
Don't you guys know the rules? (yeah, this should go over well)

Sports cars are allowed to be painted in five colors (not all at once please):

Red
Black
White
Silver and
YELLOW!

For each type of car, there is one additional, exception color to the above list.

For British cars: British Racing Green
Corvettes: Blue
Mopar: Lime Green
etc, etc.

For 914s, the exception color is Signal Orange.

Go ahead IPB Image .

Although I actually abide by these rules because they're mine, I wrote this post in jest. IPB Image
McMark
I think white is reserved for daily drivers. "You don't have to wash it as often! Tee-hee-hee."
VegasRacer
If you are going to do a color change - do it the right way, or stick with the original color. I normally think that only British cars should be green. 914's look good any bright color. My favorite is Signal Orange.
ewdysar
Mark,

You nailed it. IPB Image Mine's white, and a daily driver, washed as little as possible... IPB Image

Eric

Tip o' the day: if you really clean the windows, the whole car looks cleaner IPB Image
kenporacer
One thing I like about cars from the 70s are the colors they used. What interesting colors do we see on any thing modern.(stock) Z- Green definately.
mharrison
Irish Green is the way to go!
anderssj
Irish Green . . . .
redshift
If you don't paint it Ravvennna Greeeen, you have one testicle.

I could be wrong, but...

IPB Image

<---- you can actually see my testicle....

Miles "One-Testicle" Hendrix (black 914)
dinomium
I voted for the green! I am even leaning twords Delphi Green Metalic for the Ugmo if it ever gets into the garage for two reasons:
One, it used to be (mostly) DGM
and secondly, Al bought my sway bar last week, so he is My Hero this week. Only three more days of that one!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 04:33 PM)

damn straight... I think eggplant is the best 914 color...

signal is the #2 IMHO
E-Man
For a race car, how about this? David Bohan's car before it was done. Not gonna miss this one on the racetrack!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.