Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redrilling early hubs for 5 lug..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I got me a set of early hubs. I am redrilling for 5 lugs, and don't want to screw this up. It looks to me that one of the original 4 lug bolt holes will need to become a stud hole, and then the other 4 stud holes will end up on a boss. The thing is the original threaded 4 lug bolt holes are through thicker bosses. Should I just mill down the one I'm using to the same height as the other bosses? Should I mill them all down to the same level? Should I leave it alone and have one stud stick out less?

(I have access to a mill and a degreed rotary table, so I'm not worried about alignment issues)
sixnotfour
They all need a spot face so the stud pulls square. youchoice on the fourth one, Have you looked at Eric's method ? The way to go and you dont have to worry.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=4&t=21671
Mueller
I'd spot face them all to be the same height
Joe Bob
"early" hubs have spots for all five studs....they were the same for the 914/6 and the four bangers....you have late hubs.... IPB Image

Not that it's a bad thing...."I" mill them all flat when using the later hubs. Never had one fail. I miked a 911 hub on my 83 and it's within a RCH of the 914 later hubs.....so I wouldn't worry.

Not that I would STOP you from building up the thickness where you plan on drilling...just don't think it's neccessary.

GPR that does a trade in for drilled hubs...does them flat as well...he does a higher volume than I do.... IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 19 2005, 02:54 PM)

"early" hubs have spots for all five studs....they were the same for the 914/6 and the four bangers....you have late hubs.... IPB Image

These are definitely early hubs. They have raised bosses for the 5 lug pattern. The issue is the raised bosses for the 4 lug pattern are raised more. I need to use one of the 4 lug bosses for the 5 lug pattern. I guess the 4 lug pattern needed more thickness because it was threaded. Does anyone have a pic of the backside of a factory 914/6 hub? It would be interesting to see how the factory handled it, since they supposedly used the same casting for both and just made the holes in different spots.
Root_Werks
The reason the raised area for the 4lug spot is great then for the 5 lug spot is because the 4 lugs are threaded and the 5 lugs are push thru studs. But I always thought they were the same height? Man, it has been a while since I have seen an early hub! IPB Image
Joe Bob
OK..if you have five raised spots....mill them even, drill your holes and pull the studs thru. Use longer than stock ones if you have a choice. It allows the use of spacers if you have flares or want to set the wheels out more for a wider stance.
bondo
IPB Image

I'll post pics tonight IPB Image
sixnotfour
911/914-6 same hub coasre spline . 914-4 early extra bosses fine spline
bondo
Ok, here's the pics. I think they show pretty well what I'm talking about.

I find it interesting that a 914/6 used a different hub. Does that mean that the 5 lug pattern of bosses was never used by the factory?

Pic 1:
bondo
Pic 2: (last one)
Eric_Shea
yup... 5-lug was never used. They used the early 911 hub and a special 914-6 stub axle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.