Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkuehn
I need some help, my car seems really twitchy and kinda all over the road at highway speeds. The entire suspension has been rebuilt with Bilstiens all the way around, Weltmiester 22mm in front and 16mm rear. I read some of Dave's posts on alignment and I aligned my car to stock specs and still have issues. It is lowered a decent amount and do have a bump steer kit installed on the rack. Any help??
nsyr
I had this issue with bilstein hd struts. Had a couple thousand miles on them and the lateral throwout was excessive.

To test, jack up front of car. Pull wheel off. Grab the top of the strut housing just below where the piston and strut cartridge meet. Pull back and forth. If there is any movement then the strut is bad.
jkuehn
QUOTE(nsyr @ Jun 27 2014, 01:34 PM) *

I had this issue with bilstein hd struts. Had a couple thousand miles on them and the lateral throwout was excessive.

To test, jack up front of car. Pull wheel off. Grab the top of the strut housing just below where the piston and strut cartridge meet. Pull back and forth. If there is any movement then the strut is bad.

Thanks i will try that, Also you liking your Subi conversion, I'm thinking i might do a JDM EJ20 over the winter. Is your motor JDM, if so who did you source it from.
jmill
Might want to check your steering coupler.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...eering++coupler
nsyr
QUOTE(jkuehn @ Jun 27 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Thanks i will try that, Also you liking your Subi conversion, I'm thinking i might do a JDM EJ20 over the winter. Is your motor JDM, if so who did you source it from.

I pulled my engine from an svx with 112k miles. The guy I bought it from bought it for the interior and then sold it to me for $250.

I had a jdm ej20tt in it before that. And based on my experience I would stick with domestic engines. There are slight variances with the jdm. Not to mention they have a lot of wear. The jdm engine I had internally looked liked it had been WELL used. Alot of visible wear. The eg33 looked brand new on the inside.
Mike Bellis
Could be bump steer...

Could be the fact that it's lowered and you aligned it to stock specs...

Could be one if the suggestions above...
Bruce Hinds
Another idea, and probably one you've already thought of but the rear alignment is crazy important in that regard. Rears need to be a slight toe in, not sure of the spec but it makes a HUGE difference.
Kirmizi
When's the last time you checked your wheel bearings?
jkuehn
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jun 27 2014, 09:47 PM) *

When's the last time you checked your wheel bearings?

Wheel bearings are new all the way around the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.