Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POLL: Stock or not stock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
I need the teener worlds opinions on the Youthful Endeavor build: ( If you haven't checked it out yet, you should)
(It is a '75 2.0l FI)
Bone stock: Being, restore to completely original. 100% factory.
...or...
Upgrades: Well, #1: vote in the poll, and if you choose "tasteful upgrades" then tell me what your opinions are of an appealing upgrade.

I will be selling this car soon after I finish the restoration(all it needs is paint) to pay for my '74 914 race project, so I want it to appeal to a wide audience.

All the rust repair was done by the PO. He got most of the way throughout the restoration then ran out of steam. Seriously all it needs is paint.
dudzy's914
oops
jmill
If it were me, I'd go with tasteful upgrades. I'd backdate the bumpers and go 5 lug with Fuchs (911 hubs and M calipers up front and re-drilled rear). Chrome bumpers and the 5 lug Fuchs are a classic look that many prefer. I believe you'd expand your market of potential buyers.
damesandhotrods
You want to flip a restoration to raise money? I hope you do not have to do much to it. As far as resale value, stock generally the best bet.
Mike Bellis
Well I can't vote in this poll... biggrin.gif

Tasteful upgrades... av-943.gif

If your plan is to flip it, sell it as is. Just clean it up. Most likely you will "restore" it as cheaply as possible to make the most dollar. This may hurt your final resale value since a restoration, a real one, cost a lot of money. More than the car is worth. You will be upside down if you restore it correctly.
VaccaRabite
If you are building it to sell, don't do a 914. You won't get the money you put into it back out again.

If you are stubborn and doing it any way, make it as bone stock as you can. That will sell much easier. Paint should match the paint code, etc, etc.

If you are keeping it for yourself, do what you want with it.

Zach
914Sixer
Keeping it stock can be great. There have been many advances that can cause hard decisions. Turbo tie rods is a good example. They are light years ahead of the rubber doughnut used on the rack. Not stock but considered good upgrades but almost stock in appearance.
KELTY360
If you're looking to sell it to finance another project then keep it stock and get it running and driving as good as possible. Isolate the features of the car that you can improve with sweat equity and attack those. The more time you spend cleaning and fixing the weak points the more you'll learn about the car and the better it will present to buyers.

Keep in mind that money you put into it will not return on a dollar for dollar basis. That means that 'tasteful upgrades' won't be profitable when you sell.
boxsterfan
Backdate bumpers. Upgrade motor to 2056 or 2270.
PanelBilly
Tear it apart and sell the parts.
AvalonFal
Stock.
pt_700
if you want maximum return of dineiros, i'd go for bone stock while you still can. parts ain't gettin' any more plentiful.

if you were to keep, i'd go stock(ish) parts that suit how you use the car.
dudzy's914
ALL the car needs is paint. So I'm not dumping a ton of money into this car. All the work was done by the PO except the paint.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jun 28 2014, 08:38 AM) *

ALL the car needs is paint. So I'm not dumping a ton of money into this car. All the work was done by the PO except the paint.

A quality restoration paint job will cost $10k-$15k. If you put a cheap paint job on it, you will not get top dollar. If you put a restoration paint job, you will loose money.

If you put a decent paint job on it ($3k-$6k), you still won't get top dollar but you might make a few bucks. Top 914-4 pricing is around $14k-$15k for a good car with a good paint job and good rubber. Prices have gone higher for rare low mileage survivor cars. The average price for a 914 in Northern California is around $6k, for a good driver.

The issue is a 914 cost more money to restore than they are worth. Be careful with your budget or you might only break even.

How much money do you have into it?

BTW, 75-76 cars are less desirable here than a 73-74 car. There are some exceptions.
Drums66
.....Stock(01000010)
bye1.gif
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 28 2014, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jun 28 2014, 08:38 AM) *

A quality restoration paint job will cost $10k-$15k. If you put a cheap paint job on it, you will not get top dollar. If you put a restoration paint job, you will loose money.

If you put a decent paint job on it ($3k-$6k), you still won't get top dollar but you might make a few bucks. Top 914-4 pricing is around $14k-$15k for a good car with a good paint job and good rubber. Prices have gone higher for rare low mileage survivor cars. The average price for a 914 in Northern California is around $6k, for a good driver.

The issue is a 914 cost more money to restore than they are worth. Be careful with your budget or you might only break even.

How much money do you have into it?

BTW, 75-76 cars are less desirable here than a 73-74 car. There are some exceptions.

I bought it for $1800 and $100 for a battery.
Mike Bellis
You should flip it as is. You might be able to double your money if rust is not a problem. If you paint is, you will not get 50% margin.

BTW...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cuda911
Just curious..... how did you get a fully restored (other than paint) 914 for only $1,800? Something doesn't sound right to me, unless maybe someone owed you a big favor, or owed you a pile of cash. Anyway, after recently completing an extensive search for a 914, I was wondering how you got the car. Seems like there should be an interesting story.

Oh, and if you are planning to sell the car, my vote is stock. That should appeal to everyone. Once you start modding any car, it shrinks the audience. Mods that are of great value to one person may have zero (or negative) value to another.
Hank914
I vote stock... Or actually, as was stated, flip it before you add any (stock or custom) parts. And skip the paint job. Since it sounds like you got a good deal, cash out to fund your other project.

And do tell us the back story ... Over a beer. beer3.gif It sounds interesting.
Andyrew
If the paint is REALLY bad, you can do a $1000 mayco paint job. But take pictures of before and after, and go with the stock color.

But if there is damage or rust, your just waisting money.

Take some pictures and post here. We need to see the floor panels, behind the rockers, the battery tray, the rear trunk by the tail lights, the front fender seam between the cowl and the front trunk.

This will tell us what the car is really worth...
Porschef
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jun 29 2014, 03:22 AM) *

I vote stock... Or actually, as was stated, flip it before you add any (stock or custom) parts. And skip the paint job. Since it sounds like you got a good deal, cash out to fund your other project.

That'd be a root beer most likely. Read his signature... rolleyes.gif

dudzy's914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 29 2014, 02:44 AM) *

Just curious..... how did you get a fully restored (other than paint) 914 for only $1,800? Something doesn't sound right to me, unless maybe someone owed you a big favor, or owed you a pile of cash. Anyway, after recently completing an extensive search for a 914, I was wondering how you got the car. Seems like there should be an interesting story.

Oh, and if you are planning to sell the car, my vote is stock. That should appeal to everyone. Once you start modding any car, it shrinks the audience. Mods that are of great value to one person may have zero (or negative) value to another.

It wasn't supposed to run. The PO didn't know much about them and he thought it didn't run. All it needed was new gas and a battery. Luck. Pure luck.
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jun 29 2014, 03:22 AM) *

Have you seen my thread?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...453&hl=Finn
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 29 2014, 04:08 AM) *

If the paint is REALLY bad, you can do a $1000 mayco paint job. But take pictures of before and after, and go with the stock color.

But if there is damage or rust, your just waisting money.

Take some pictures and post here. We need to see the floor panels, behind the rockers, the battery tray, the rear trunk by the tail lights, the front fender seam between the cowl and the front trunk.

This will tell us what the car is really worth...

ALL the other work was done by the PO. He got most of the way through the restoration and ran out of steam. Seriously all it needs is paint.
76-914
No vote because I like 'em both. As long as you don't Chalom them. lol-2.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jun 29 2014, 03:41 AM) *

Painting the car might be a good idea if you're smart about it. The most expensive part of a paint job is the prep. It is also the area that can raise or lower the quality of the finished product. Your car is in a good stage for you to learn final prep procedures to get it ready for color. There are many threads here with expert advice about this process. You can save money and learn more if you start looking for a privateer to spray the car. You don't have to send it to a full blown body/paint shop if you can find someone who does side work in their spare time. Be careful of guys trying to take advantage of you by making sure you get solid references from owners of other cars they've painted. Your dad can probably help with this aspect.

If it truly just needs a paint job and some minor fixes you should be able to learn a lot and make a little $$ to boot.
jrrhdmust
So I have performed multiple "restorations", after driving my 73 Mustang on the Hot Rod Power Tour a few times, I am all about making the car comfortable and adding some performance.

I usually work on the suspensions, additional sound deadening, and then off course more power and better braking. For the most part I like them to look mostly stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.