Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello everybody
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Javi_914
Hello everybody, I'm the recent new owner of a '72 Porsche 914. I've seen at "engine numbers" section of this web page that there are no 2000c.c. motors in1972 for the 914, but at "productions number" section, I've seen that in 1972 were produced 4817 models with 2000c.c. motors. Could anyone explain me this. Thank you and sorry for my poor English, I'm from Spain, Mallorca.
Bleyseng
Welcome! Mallorca, hey I am trying to go there next summer! I hear its beautiful and whoops, sorry to hijack thread.

You have a late 72 with a 2.0l? Could have happened as the factory had terrible records keeping. We all know there also aren't any 76 1.8 cars, they never made a Green/white LE etc.

Geoff
jwalters
IPB Image Greetings dude!!! IPB Image Drank many a beer in the "Gut"--err,hmmm, maybe that was France, Toulon to be exact--memory is kinda fuzzy in the intricacies----oh well,,,,awesome place, awesome, awesome , awesome--

Been there three times----Love the way you Spaniards do things!!

Don't know anything about what you ask--just saying hello! IPB Image

PS--What in the hell do you guys put in the water over there?? I cannot tell you how many times I thought some chick was at least 18 only to find out they were all 13??????? IPB Image

Rota rocks!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Welcome--We will do everything possible to help you to further your addiction! IPB Image
Javi_914
I still don't know the real c.c. of my 914, the one who sells me told me that it was a 2000 c.c. 914, but I thought that in 1972 there weren't no production of 2.0 L motors, and now I'm still more confused.
If some could tell me wich kind of motor has my car, I would be very thankful.
It's a '72 914/4 with 4722900806 chassis number.
Toast
Welcome to the club!

We dont mind your English. Heck, half of us natives can barely spell or type decent anyway. IPB Image

Post a pic of your teener when you can. We would love to see it.

Hope to see more of you here! IPB Image
skline
Is the production date late 72? That would make it actually a 73 model and then it could have a 2 liter. Otherwise, the only 2 liter installed in a 914 in 72 would have been a 6 cylinder. You didnt mention if it was a 4 or a 6.
skline
QUOTE (Toast @ Jan 19 2005, 02:38 PM)
Welcome to the club!

We dont mind your English. Heck, half of us natives can barely spell or type decent anyway. IPB Image

Post a pic of your teener when you can. We would love to see it.

Hope to see more of you here! IPB Image

Take a picture of the engine, that will tell everything. Get a good close picture of the right and left. Also, the engine may not be the stock engine, Check the number on the case and post it here. I can tell you what you have.
Joe Bob
I assume this is a 4 cylinder model? They DID make a 72 914/6 that was a 2.0 for euro delivery only....pretty rare though.

There should be a engine number on the block near the oil filler if it is a four cylinder. Also a 2.0 4 cylinder will have three bolts holding the intake manifold on each head. The 1.7 and 1.8 have four...two in between the intakes and one on each side.

In the US, the 914 may have had many engine changes and many have been upgraded or even down graded with engines from busses, vans, square backs etc....some people even put in Chevy V8s.... IPB Image
Javi_914
Sorry, I forgot to thank everybody for this warm wellcome.

I don't know what we put in the water, I'm 32 years old and I seem 25.

it gives shame me because I still have to restore it but....
IPB Image

And Bleyseng, .... IPB Image
skline
Hey, it looks better than some of our cars. You have to start somewhere since there are no new ones. Give us details on the engine. Looks like your front wheels are Mahles, I like those the best.

I take that back, those look more like Pedrinnis
Javi_914
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 19 2005, 02:49 PM)
Hey, it looks better than some of our cars. You have to start somewhere since there are no new ones. Give us details on the engine. Looks like your front wheels are Mahles, I like those the best.

I take that back, those look more like Pedrinnis

It has only three Mahles, but something I will do....
Allan
Nice to meet ya! Hey, if it runs your way ahead of alot of us. IPB Image
Mueller
welcome,

your car looks better than my first 914 IPB Image
Javi_914
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 19 2005, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (Toast @ Jan 19 2005, 02:38 PM)
Welcome to the club!

We dont mind your English.  Heck, half of us natives can barely spell or type decent anyway.  :unsure:

Post a pic of your teener when you can.  We would love to see it.

Hope to see more of you here!  :beer1:

Take a picture of the engine, that will tell everything. Get a good close picture of the right and left. Also, the engine may not be the stock engine, Check the number on the case and post it here. I can tell you what you have.

Ok, tomorrow I will take a pic of the motor a I'll post it here.
Javi_914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 19 2005, 02:52 PM)
Nice to meet ya! Hey, if it runs your way ahead of alot of us. IPB Image

It doesn't runs but, It will do it........ sure. It has been stopped for the last 12 years.
Joe Bob
The left rear wheel looks like it was from a Citroen... IPB Image

You should have seen the first 914 "I" dragged home.... IPB Image
Javi_914
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 19 2005, 02:56 PM)
The left rear wheel looks like it was from a Citroen... IPB Image

You should have seen the first 914 "I" dragged home.... IPB Image

Yes, I think the same, it has the holes drilled to fit properly IPB Image
Sparky
Welcome Javi!! It looks as if you have the perfect canvas on which to begin creating a master piece. Mallorca is beautiful, as is Benedorm, Rota, I could go on for ever! Are you in Palma? Is Manny's pub still there? It's been about 15 years since I was last there.

Welcome again!
Mike D.
Bleyseng
If I go to Spain and Mallorca, I see another suitcase with parts being dragged to Europe....Monique is gonna love this!

IPB Image

Atleast you car is pretty much ALL THERE! You should see Jeroen's 914! I have yet to see a running 914 in Europe even at Mittlemotor they didn't run.

Geoff
Javi_914
QUOTE (Sparky @ Jan 19 2005, 03:03 PM)
Welcome Javi!! It looks as if you have the perfect canvas on which to begin creating a master piece. Mallorca is beautiful, as is Benedorm, Rota, I could go on for ever! Are you in Palma? Is Manny's pub still there? It's been about 15 years since I was last there.

Welcome again!
Mike D.

Yes, I'm in Palma, but I don't know Manny's pub... where it was?
SirAndy
no 2.0L in '72 ...

there were 4817 2.0L "produced" in 72, but they were sold in '73 and are therefore '73 models ...

open the front trunk and go to the pass. side top of the fender.
there should be a chassis number stamped in there which will tell us the exact year of your car.

and welcome to the club!
IPB Image Andy
Bleyseng
What are the numbers stamped on the engine? Does the motor look kinda like this one? Pic of a 2.0L.
Sparky
Where is it.. Hmm let's see we would take the bus from the ferry landing to Plaza de Palma and walk about 15 minutes. It stands out as a memory because it had a mechanical bull. But then again this was back in 1986 and 1987 while I was in the Navy. Oh the good old days.... Hey JWalters, the gut was in Naples!!

My best,
Mike D.
Javi_914
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 19 2005, 03:06 PM)
If I go to Spain and Mallorca, I see another suitcase with parts being dragged to Europe....Monique is gonna love this!

IPB Image

Atleast you car is pretty much ALL THERE! You should see Jeroen's 914! I have yet to see a running 914 in Europe even at Mittlemotor they didn't run.

Geoff

You'll see it runing, leave suitcases at home....
Javi_914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 03:14 PM)
no 2.0L in '72 ...

there were 4817 2.0L "produced" in 72, but they were sold in '73 and are therefore '73 models ...

open the front trunk and go to the pass. side top of the fender.
there should be a chassis number stamped in there which will tell us the exact year of your car.

and welcome to the club!
IPB Image Andy

Tomorrow I'll post photos of the engine, chassis number is 4722900806.
Javi_914
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 19 2005, 03:16 PM)
What are the numbers stamped on the engine? Does the motor look kinda like this one? Pic of a 2.0L.

Mine it's a bit diferent.
Javi_914
QUOTE (Sparky @ Jan 19 2005, 03:18 PM)
Where is it.. Hmm let's see we would take the bus from the ferry landing to Plaza de Palma and walk about 15 minutes. It stands out as a memory because it had a mechanical bull. But then again this was back in 1986 and 1987 while I was in the Navy. <Sigh> Oh the good old days.... Hey JWalters, the gut was in Naples!!

My best,
Mike D.

I'll see if I see it.
Javi_914
This one is not from my 914 but I think that it's like mine.
IPB Image
jwalters
QUOTE (Sparky @ Jan 19 2005, 06:18 PM)
Where is it.. Hmm let's see we would take the bus from the ferry landing to Plaza de Palma and walk about 15 minutes. It stands out as a memory because it had a mechanical bull. But then again this was back in 1986 and 1987 while I was in the Navy. <Sigh> Oh the good old days.... Hey JWalters, the gut was in Naples!!

My best,
Mike D.

IPB Image ohhhh----yeaaaaaaaaah--good times--oh so good times IPB Image
Javi_914
Ok guys, here it's 00:30 hours so I go to sleep, tomorrow the motor pics. thank you everybody.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Javi_914 @ Jan 19 2005, 03:30 PM)
This one is not from my 914 but I think that it's like mine

the engine in that pic is not a 2.0L.
your chassis number indicates that it is a fairly early '72. i seriously doubt it came with a 2.0L originally.
but, if you're lucky, someone put a 2.0L in there for you!

post some pics of the engine and we'll be able to tell ...

i've been to spain, had a unpleasant run-in with the guardia civil and haven't been back since (that was 20 years ago) ...
IPB Image Andy
Katmanken
Ahndie,

I told you, don't screw with the Guardia.

Saw one pull his gun and shoot a purse snatcher

He dusted off the purse and gave it back to the woman with an appology. IPB Image

Course that was 40 years ago and times change....

Now if we can just get Javi to send us some six packs of that 1.68 euro San Miguel beer from the Hyper Market... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Ken (Sevilla nino)
davep
All those replies and only Andy makes any sense.

The 4 cylinder 2.0L engine was first installed in 1973 models. The 1973 model year started in Aug of 1972. Hence the 1972 production of 2.0L engines was all for 1973 model year. Your engine would have been a 1.7L model with an oil bath air cleaner.
anderssj
Welcome!

Judging by the pic in your most recent post it's a 1.7L with an oilbath air cleaner.

Is Freddy's Bar still around? Was there in late January 82 . . . .

Best regards,

Steve A-
redshift
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 19 2005, 06:23 PM)
Welcome! Mallorca, hey I am trying to go there next summer! I hear its beautiful and whoops, sorry to hijack thread.

You have a late 72 with a 2.0l? Could have happened as the factory had terrible records keeping. We all know there also aren't any 76 1.8 cars, they never made a Green/white LE etc.

Geoff

They did make a green LE, or the dealers did. -shrug-

hmm... that made me wonder...

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (Javi_914 @ Jan 19 2005, 02:19 PM)
I'm from Spain, Mallorca.

btw. here's a link to one of my favorite german punk bands/songs from the early '80s ...

Band: Canal Terror
Song: Mallorca

http://www.sirandy.com/mp3/CanalTerror_Mallorca.mp3

the singer, Tommy, is a good friend of mine!
the band is long gone (but he's still active in the music scene).

just thought i "enrich" you guys with some german punk-history ...
IPB Image Andy
Javi_914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 19 2005, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (Javi_914 @ Jan 19 2005, 02:19 PM)
I'm from Spain, Mallorca.

btw. here's a link to one of my favorite german punk bands/songs from the early '80s ...

Band: Canal Terror
Song: Mallorca

http://www.sirandy.com/mp3/CanalTerror_Mallorca.mp3

the singer, Tommy, is a good friend of mine!
the band is long gone (but he's still active in the music scene).

just thought i "enrich" you guys with some german punk-history ...
IPB Image Andy

German people love Mallorca. It's the first time Ihear this song.
Javi_914
QUOTE (davep @ Jan 19 2005, 05:59 PM)
All those replies and only Andy makes any sense.

The 4 cylinder 2.0L engine was first installed in 1973 models. The 1973 model year started in Aug of 1972. Hence the 1972 production of 2.0L engines was all for 1973 model year. Your engine would have been a 1.7L model with an oil bath air cleaner.

I only know the chassis number, but perhaps it was sold in 1973 and it was build in 1972. Today I will take the photos and we could know something more.
Javi_914
Ok, as I promissed, here are the pics of my half-disassembled motor:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image WOW! Those are 1.7-1.8 heads--but that does not mean the engine was not rebuilt with a set of 2.0 jugs and crank!! You will not know for sure until you get it all the way down.

Was this car ever in a mudslide??? Not poking at you, just wondering----by the looks of the outer engine shell--you may have problems with the internals being good.

Have you pulled the oil dipstick just to see what is lurking on it?? Just oil, oil very high up the stick, no oil, etc?????

All in all--you are not starting off with anything worse than many people had to begin with here--- IPB Image

Have you ever had the pleasure to drive one?? Intoxicating!!!! That is the only reason, well, not the only reason, that I do not bring all my stuff to the " wrecking yard " --I have driven it for a long time and now have it all busted down to the shell and individual pieces--tremendous work--but soon it will all be going back together--it will almost be brand new when I am done IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Keep talking to us about your problems--we can help--but use a little of your own personal common sense to what people may be saying here--there are a few loonies lurking around IPB Image Example: Search for : " Chopsticks" read the whole thread---nuff said. But all in all out of 3000 members, prolly over 1000+ of them have real indepth experience with these cars. IPB Image

With that said--Congratulations on your decision to bring back one of the most balanced do all cars in history!!! IPB Image
Javi_914
Dirty oil, but at least oil....
Next week I will drop down the engine, wish me luck.... IPB Image
You will hate me about asking too much IPB Image
jim912928
Javi...we love questions!....and PICS!!!!! You'll have fun with this restoration (along with some frustration at times). I've been to Marabella Spain a few times...wow did I enjoy that!

Keep the pics/questions/updates coming!
Javi_914
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 20 2005, 07:32 AM)
Javi...we love questions!....and PICS!!!!! You'll have fun with this restoration (along with some frustration at times). I've been to Marabella Spain a few times...wow did I enjoy that!

Keep the pics/questions/updates coming!

Be sure of that....
SirAndy
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 20 2005, 03:51 AM)
Those are 1.7-1.8 heads

IPB Image looks like a 1.7L to me. you won't know for sure until you open it up (someone could have put a big-bore kit on it).

that thing needs some cleaning, but i have seen worse coming back to live!
IPB Image Andy
Dr Evil
Bienvenidos a este lugar! Tienes mas trabajo in la futura.

You have the 1.7 D-jet fuel injection. Hay mas tiendas de auto pedasos aka?
Ask as many questions as possible. How many other 914s are in your area?
Javi_914
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 20 2005, 09:38 AM)
Bienvenidos a este lugar! Tienes mas trabajo in la futura.

You have the 1.7 D-jet fuel injection. Hay mas tiendas de auto pedasos aka?
Ask as many questions as possible. How many other 914s are in your area?

In my area, no one. I have heard stories about any 914, but I haven't seen anyone. I have gone to Murcia to buy it.
I will be the only one. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.