Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is it possible ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hedgehog
i sheared the bolts that attach the cv joint to the spindle at the parade autocross...i assume they backed out slightly and when i was shifting into 3rd on a left hand sweeper...boom...that was it and i had to park it... took it apart and was hoping to wire tie it while it is out of the vehicle where it is easier to work on but getting it back in with the spindle attached is not working....any suggestions aside from dropping the motor....?

stugray
Yes it should be possible.
You should have enough flop in the CVs to angle it enough.

I have seen (felt) some CVs that have less travel than others.
Are you not getting enough rotation in the outer CV to angle the axle down below the tranny?
Or when you tie them up above the tranny to drop the engine?
hedgehog
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 27 2014, 08:28 PM) *

Yes it should be possible.
You should have enough flop in the CVs to angle it enough.

I have seen (felt) some CVs that have less travel than others.
Are you not getting enough rotation in the outer CV to angle the axle down below the tranny?
Or when you tie them up above the tranny to drop the engine?

i can't seem to get the spines of the spindle lined up with the splines in the hub...
Cap'n Krusty
It can be done. Generally you have to remove the lower shock bolt, especially on the left side. BTW, we call that the "stub axle".

The Cap'n
76-914
agree.gif It's a PITA. IIRC, I had to start one bolt at some position; say 2 o'clock. Then roll the shaft so the next one is in the same clocked position. All 4 that way. There is only a small area within the radius that you can get a long extension back there so it won't be hard to figure where it works. May be 4 o'clock. I can't remember. CRS. Don't go Hog wild and over tighten the first one or you can't get hte other side started. Work it down tightening each bolt a little at a time. This will be a good time for you to polish up your "cussin". happy11.gif
hedgehog
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 27 2014, 08:45 PM) *

It can be done. Generally you have to remove the lower shock bolt, especially on the left side. BTW, we call that the "stub axle".

The Cap'n

ya.... I already tried removing the shock bolt.... can't get the splines to line up...i even tried to pull them through with a piece of wire that i ran through the end of the "axle stub" biggrin.gif

Elliot Cannon
While the car is on the ground loosen the large nut on the stub axle. Jack the car up and remove the wheel. Unbolt the cv joint at the trans. Take the large nut off the stub axle. Remove the lower shock bolt. Lift the trailing arm as high as you can and slide the axle above the transmission. Push the stub axle out and slide the axle further over the trans. Lower the trailing arm and slide the axle back off the trans. Reverse procedure for installation. laugh.gif I did this a few years ago after I was told it couldn't be done without removing the engine. biggrin.gif

I just realized you want to install the axle? Just reverse my less than explicit instructions. av-943.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Oh, Ellyut! We love it when you're explicit .............................

The Cap'n
Mike Bellis
I've done it a few times and is easy if you get the tranny side above or below the tranny to make room to pull out the assembly.
hedgehog
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 28 2014, 06:51 AM) *

I've done it a few times and is easy if you get the tranny side above or below the tranny to make room to pull out the assembly.

it's not getting it out....it's getting it in that i'm having trouble with...lining up the spines is a PITA... blink.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(hedgehog @ Jun 28 2014, 09:16 AM) *

it's not getting it out....it's getting it in that i'm having trouble with...lining up the spines is a PITA... blink.gif

I never had a problem. A couple of wiggles and twist and it slides in...
Tom
I just went thru putting mine back on my 76. I had to drop the shift rod and trailing arm on the driver's side to get the stub axle in the trailing arm. Just the trailing arm on the passenger side. I tried and tried to not have to lower the trailing arm, all to no avail. It just seems that the axle with the stub axle installed is a little too long. With the trailing arm dropped by removing the shock bolt, it was easy getting the stub aligned and installed.
Tom
EDIT: Also had to remove the exhaust. And I was right, it was sealed good and not leaking! sad.gif
stugray
Or jack upwards on the trailing arm and go over the tranny.
Disclaimer - be careful lifting up on the trailing arm with the car on jackstands, you taking some of the load and can lift the car off the stands.

messix
you didn't roll the car around with the stub axle out did you?

if you did you might have just effed the wheel bearing and the hub will be cocked in the bearing.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 28 2014, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(hedgehog @ Jun 28 2014, 09:16 AM) *

I never had a problem. A couple of wiggles and twist and it slides in...

We still talking about axles? av-943.gif
PotterPorsche
Passenger side I just did , cv axle with stub. No problem. I also heard that driver side is a little harder. I also heard that removing starter makes it a lot easier. I need to put my cv and stub in the next couple of days. I will let you know how it goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.