Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil filter flange gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jacksun
hi,

my question is regarding the oil filter flange and where I might purchase the gasket

between the flange and the case?

also.

the oil pump in the image was covered in oil... does this mean that the

pump seals need replaced? or is it oil coming from the oil cooler gasket or

also from the push rod seals or the valve cover gasket... or all three..

there was no oil on the top of the engine bar between the motor mounts.

any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks

randal
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
stugray
Use permatex 515. Sorry - Loctite-518

It's translucent red.
You wont need the gaskets.
Cap'n Krusty
I sure wouldn't do that, nor would I advise anyone else to do it. The gaskets allow for minor surface flaws and are readily available. As for the oil on the pump, the crankshaft seal and o-ring are often the cause. I would change the oil pump gasket just because it's easily accessible at this time, and I'd do the OP switch and oil cooler seals, too.

The Cap'n
stugray
I sure wouldn't do that, nor would I advise anyone else to do it. The gaskets allow for minor surface flaws and are readily available.

Funny, I got it from Jake for that very purpose.
ANd my car is currently the only VW engine I have ever had with zero oil leaks.

Direct quote from TypeIV store documentation:

Loctite-518: This is a Gasket Elimintor. It replaces paper gaskets where clearance is not an issue. Do not use this product with a gasket

And sorry. it is Loctite-518 specifically. I dont know if the permatex is a direct substitute, but it is blue.
jacksun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 28 2014, 05:13 PM) *

I sure wouldn't do that, nor would I advise anyone else to do it. The gaskets allow for minor surface flaws and are readily available. As for the oil on the pump, the crankshaft seal and o-ring are often the cause. I would change the oil pump gasket just because it's easily accessible at this time, and I'd do the OP switch and oil cooler seals, too.

The Cap'n

where would I buy the parts necessary ?? crankshaft seal, o ring , oil filter flange gasket .

what is the "OP switch,

I have new oil cooler seals and push rod seals.

I look at pelican for flange gasket and oil pump gasket, did not see either.

tks

r
Drums66
....Alot of the Permatex products,are better than a "gasket"(paper)!!!
bye1.gif(But if you must have 1.....Try local VW shop or P-car dealer!)
stugray
Thanks to Valy, you could print your own:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1675937
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 28 2014, 02:21 PM) *

I sure wouldn't do that, nor would I advise anyone else to do it. The gaskets allow for minor surface flaws and are readily available.

Funny, I got it from Jake for that very purpose.
ANd my car is currently the only VW engine I have ever had with zero oil leaks.

Direct quote from TypeIV store documentation:

Loctite-518: This is a Gasket Elimintor. It replaces paper gaskets where clearance is not an issue. Do not use this product with a gasket

And sorry. it is Loctite-518 specifically. I dont know if the permatex is a direct substitute, but it is blue.

"Blue"? The toothpaste I use is blue, too, but I'd never use it as a sealant.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jacksun @ Jun 28 2014, 02:29 PM) *

The Cap'n

where would I buy the parts necessary ?? crankshaft seal, o ring , oil filter flange gasket .

what is the "OP switch,

tks

r

The crankshaft seal: 021-105-247-A GPR or Pelican
The oil pump gasket: 025-115-111-A
The crankshaft o-ring: 021-119-025-A
The oil pressure switch: 021-919-081-D GPR or Pelican
The oil filter flange gasket: 021-115-359-A

I'm guessing there are folks here who have partial gasket sets that could send you the o-ring and the 2 gaskets. Not everybody does a complete overhaul when they do the top end. The o-ring is probably available from the dealer if nowhere else. Call GPR on Monday and ask Jonathan if he has any broken gasket sets.

The Cap'n
jacksun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 28 2014, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(jacksun @ Jun 28 2014, 02:29 PM) *

The Cap'n

what is the "OP switch,

tks

r

The crankshaft seal: 021-105-247-A GPR or Pelican
The oil pump gasket: 025-115-111-A
The crankshaft o-ring: 021-119-025-A
The oil pressure switch: 021-919-081-D GPR or Pelican
The oil filter flange gasket: 021-115-359-A

I'm guessing there are folks here who have partial gasket sets that could send you the o-ring and the 2 gaskets. Not everybody does a complete overhaul when they do the top end. The o-ring is probably available from the dealer if nowhere else. Call GPR on Monday and ask Jonathan if he has any broken gasket sets.

The Cap'n

thank you all for your replies...........very helpful

randal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.