Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: BBQs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Do any of you know about, have, know someone who has, the big green egg BBQ?
im thinking about buying one.. Id rather cook over wood, than propane
McMark
I'll bite, what's a big green egg BBQ? IPB Image
SpecialK
BBQ grill....I'll keep my Weber though.
TimT
hehehe ok

Big Green Egg

its a like a japanese kamodo, or a indian tandoor oven... uses real wood charcoal, not briquets
McMark
Interesting! That's new to me. I bet is makes great 6 lb burgers! IPB Image
seanery
Is this one?
Ebay Egg

If so, they seem pricey for their small size...or the pictures just make it look small...maybe it was cold, or it just came in from a swim! IPB Image
Bleyseng
I have one thats atleast 15 years old, recently painted it black. Killer BBQ and smoker! Hard to gauge the heat at times but really cooks much better than a Weber and tastes better than a gas grill. I cook tons of King salmon in the summer.

Geoff IPB Image IPB Image
eeyore
BGE's are made out of Space Shuttle type insulating material. Very efficient and consistent for long cookings. They look interesting, but don't seem to have the volume of the plain-jane steel jobbies, like my New Braunfels. Then again, there is much less fire tending.
DuckRyder
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 19 2005, 08:20 PM)
Is this one?
Ebay Egg

Shipping/Handling Rate : The rate is $99.00 within the Continental U.S.  The complimentary tracking number will be provided.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Bleyseng
They actually use little fuel and can get very hot like a blast furnace if you open the vents. Slow cooking is their forte, hold in the heat with the thick walls.

Geoff
TimT
so Geoff Im guessing you like it?

I have one of those stainless monstrosity BBQ's. Im looking for slow cooking and flavor, instead of being able to incinerate my food

IPB Image IPB Image
Bleyseng
Yes, I do like it. Since I tend to cook fish mostly is works very well. I do steaks sometimes but Monique isn't a big meat eater. I can slow cook and flavor fish using different woods, like apple or alder just like the NW Indians did. I also like the low tech approach it has cuz you can't just turn up the burner, Flame on! BTDT

Geoff
Mueller
QUOTE (DuckRyder @ Jan 19 2005, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 19 2005, 08:20 PM)
Is this one?
Ebay Egg

Shipping/Handling Rate : The rate is $99.00 within the Continental U.S.  The complimentary tracking number will be provided.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

that's not too bad..the manufacture of the real deal charges twice as much for shipping....

better hope you don't have any kids shooting thier pellet guns at the thing IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 19 2005, 04:11 PM)
Do any of you know about, have, know someone who has, the big green egg BBQ?
im thinking about buying one.. Id rather cook over wood, than propane

You call THAT a barbecue? That's a smoker, THIS is a barbecue! LOL, The Cap'n
Trekkor
get one of these IPB Image
scottb
about 5 years ago i bought a kingfisher cooker that uses propane and wood. can get balzing hot for grilling or nice and low for smoking. nice unit.

but....

if i had a chance to do it again, i would buy a pellet grill from these folks...

traeger pellet grills

you use wood pellets of different woods (alder, hickory, cherry etc.) and you can smoke or grill on one unit. i have had steak and smoked goods cooked on one of these grills and it was the best i had ever tasted. no affiliation yada yada yada..... just a good unit....
URY914
Tim,
I have a friend with one and he loves it.
Buy it! IPB Image

Paul
Trekkor
Nothing beats a 22" Weber with mesquite charcoal and oak pieces smoldering on each side.
Bleyseng
Trekkor, that big BBQ would fill my backyard! haha
I live on a really small lot in Seattle with no garage. IPB Image
TimT
Think Im going to order it... I found it for $645 with stand, side shelfs, cover and other accesories + free shipping

Im not to crazy about htose pellet grills.. when I was buying a wood stove for my house, I looked into them. My big concern is the supply of pellets... I know I can always get a cod of wood, but will pellets (wood) always be available?
Trekkor
Tim, please save the bucks and try a big weber first.

If you were nearby, I'd let you borrow my spare kettle for a month and convince yourself and all your guests IPB Image

These Webers are only around $100.
All parts are replaceable.

KT
Bleyseng
I gave my Webber away as I started using the Japanese BBQ
TimT
I had one of those webers years ago, it worked well , but I dont think it could burn for 10 hours + on one load of charcoal.

now I have one of those stainless grills the size of as church organ..Everyone Ive talked to loves these ceramic type grills/smokers/bbqs... I could even throw it in the trailer when I head to the track!!
MattR
Where's Joe Buckle? He's the masta of bbq's IPB Image IPB Image
MJHanna
IPB Image I’ve had one for years not the green egg but a kamodo; they are much better than a Weber will ever be. I mostly grill on it. For real slow cooking I have a smoker with a side fire pit… But 95% of my cooking is on the kamodo. If you cook light meats you’ll see the pink smoke ring in the meat. Keeps meats very moist. I’ve even cooked a turkey in it with great results. I would not try to take mine to the track they are heavy and they do break….. You’ll love it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.