Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW brakes on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sstrandron
Does anybody know which BMW brakes will fit on the front of the 914 ? Are there anybody here who has done it or knows how to do it ? Anybody know where there might be an article on how to do it ? My 914 is way too fast for stock brakes ! IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE (Sstrandron @ Jan 19 2005, 05:36 PM)
Does anybody know which BMW brakes will fit on the front of the 914 ? Are there anybody here who has done it or knows how to do it ? Anybody know where there might be an article on how to do it ? My 914 is way too fast for stock brakes ! IPB Image

1.) Do a search here

2.) Go to Pelican Parts Board ( www.pelicanparts.com ) and look in the tech section for 914s...it contains an article.

3.) Why? If your type 4 brakes are set up correctly, they work wonderfully.

4.) Welcome to the fray....enjoy yourself and join in the bashing

Damn Jr....ya beat me to da punch!
Joe Ricard
I so enjoy BMW brake threads.
I got a set that fit early cars. Send me a PM and I will hook you up with all you need.

BTW What makes you feel your car is TOO FAST for stock brakes? IPB Image
marks914
I have a setof BMW 320 calipers and cross drilled rotors for an early 914 if anyone is interested. Only 7,000 iles on them. Pulled them off my car when I went to 5 lug.
PS they are cheap!
Thx,
Mark
SLITS
Are you sure they aren't "frozen" IPB Image
nebreitling
QUOTE (Sstrandron @ Jan 19 2005, 04:36 PM)
My 914 is way too fast for stock brakes !

IPB Image IPB Image that's rich! good one!
john rogers
I will be pulling the fronts off my race car probably this weekend when it gets back from Garage Los Ponchos and being repainted. Since you are just a little north of Chula Vista (relative) I can make you a good deal on them if you want to drive down to get them. They have been machined and I used them for about 1 1/2 years and they work very well. You'd need some new pads I would say.
Cap'n Krusty
He could pick 'em up at the swap meet, February6th!
www.LaAllEuro.com
Got too big for Dunlkel Bros. lot, so they moved it to Long Beach Veteran's Stadium.
The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (Sstrandron @ Jan 19 2005, 06:36 PM)
My 914 is way too fast for stock brakes !

Yes, tell us. why?

Btw, interesting first post.
jr91472
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 19 2005, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sstrandron @ Jan 19 2005, 05:36 PM)

1.) Do a search here

2.) Go to Pelican Parts Board ( www.pelicanparts.com ) and look in the tech section for 914s...it contains an article.

3.) Why? If your type 4 brakes are set up correctly, they work wonderfully.

4.) Welcome to the fray....enjoy yourself and join in the bashing

Damn Jr....ya beat me to da punch!

hey, I have gotten so much help here....just want ta give somethin back to the people........ IPB Image
John
Those are just such cute little things. How do they get rid of the HEAT???

Here is what I "upgraded" to:
strandron
Thanx for the tips guys ! The reason it is so fast is that it is for you purists a "NARP" (Not A Real Porsche) it has a Chevy V8, this is my 3rd 914 and I don't miss adjusting valves,cantacorus fuel injection, losing spark plugs in the cooling shroud ad nauseum. So I have also added some weight to the car so the brake upgrade is a must !I have a 911 front end that I can put in it , the brakes on this older 911 are the same size but ventillated, this set up would not seem to be much of an upgrade , I think , would the BMW calipers fit over the wider early model ventilated 911 rotors ? However there are other good reasons to switch over to the 911 front end such as a legitament 5 bolt pattern to be used w/ the 911 wheels etc I have the ventilated 911 rotors and calipers in the back. Now thanx to you guys I have a lot of options to consider , especially since I am on a low budget if you know what that means. I hope to post a foto of the car after I get it painted !(rattle can Primer it is now)
SLITS
If you have the vented 911s, are they not 3.5" caliper bolt spacing and the Beemers are 3" to fit the 914 struts? You may have a small problem of about 1/2".
Joe Ricard
I would think if you have 911 vented calipers in the back you need something more substantial in the front than BMW 320i calipers. Even if they fit over early 911 or 914/6 vented disks.
nebreitling
ahhh! V8 -- than IMHO you would be ill-advised to go with the BMW calipers -- and don't even mess with stock rotor. get that 911 front end with some nice, chunky brakes. you got power and weight to stop. my 02 only.

post some pics of your ride!
lapuwali
QUOTE (strandron @ Jan 20 2005, 08:48 AM)
Thanx for the tips guys ! The reason it is so fast is that it is for you purists a "NARP" (Not A Real Porsche) it has a Chevy V8, this is my 3rd 914 and I don't miss adjusting valves,cantacorus fuel injection, losing spark plugs in the cooling shroud ad nauseum. So I have also added some weight to the car so the brake upgrade is a must !I have a 911 front end that I can put in it , the brakes on this older 911 are the same size but ventillated, this set up would not seem to be much of an upgrade , I think , would the BMW calipers fit over the wider early model ventilated 911 rotors ? However there are other good reasons to switch over to the 911 front end such as a legitament 5 bolt pattern to be used w/ the 911 wheels etc I have the ventilated 911 rotors and calipers in the back. Now thanx to you guys I have a lot of options to consider , especially since I am on a low budget if you know what that means. I hope to post a foto of the car after I get it painted !(rattle can Primer it is now)

Vented rotors and 911 calipers would be a big upgrade over the 914 front brakes. Diameter is not the important thing in brake rotors. The ability to dissapate the additional heat (which the venting brings to the party) is what's important.

One thing you need to keep in mind when mixing and matching brake components is brake balance front to rear. You absolutely want more front brakes than rear brakes. Few things cause a spin faster than rear brakes that lock before the fronts.
Mueller
Someone (Rich Johnson?), sells a kit that allows one to bolt-on Volvo or BMW or ??? 4-piston Girling or ATE calipers on the early 911 vented rotor/strut setups...you can even use 15" rims
SLITS
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 20 2005, 12:51 PM)
Someone (Rich Johnson?), sells a kit that allows one to bolt-on Volvo or BMW or ??? 4-piston Girling or ATE calipers on the early 911 vented rotor/strut setups...you can even use 15" rims

Not if you are Scott Kline IPB Image
Joe Bob
Yer lucky Scott is smoking again....otherwise he would hunt you down.... IPB Image
SLITS
Damn Mikey, ya just blew his cover....

I can see you have read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.