Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grassroots 914 project is for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe.D
No affiliation. I just noticed that the GRM 914 project is for sale.

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/914.html

They're doing their part to raise the value of all our cars :-)

So, Any predictions how long it'll take for this thread to (d)evlove into another "whats a nice 914 really worth" debate?

Joe
scruz914
I doubt it is worth $17k but they certainly did a nice job on it. I am sure that there are some non OEM things that may not stand up to scrutiny here though.
Stutgart46
That's a little suprising. I've seen there other project cars sale for reasonable prices. They can't have more than $5K wrapped up in this thing.
campbellcj
IIRC (read most of the articles) they actually put quite a bit of $ into it. Fresh engine, trans, paint, suspension...maybe interior too...basically a full resto
bondo
I can tell you one thing.. I'm inspired by that "poor man's rotisserie". I'm totally going to do that IPB Image
vortrex
that looks like a bargain compared to what the stuff on this bbs and ebay lists for.
SpecialK
I'm curious about the MC/firewall flex upgrade. I've never heard of this being a problem, but it looks to me that they welded a threaded sleeve to the front suspension tube (nom.?), and inserted a bolt and locking nut for adjustment. Am I looking at that right? IPB Image And is that worth doing?
bondo
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 19 2005, 11:35 PM)
I'm curious about the MC/firewall flex upgrade. I've never heard of this being a problem, but it looks to me that they welded a threaded sleeve to the front suspension tube (nom.?), and inserted a bolt and locking nut for adjustment. Am I looking at that right? IPB Image And is that worth doing?

I chuckled at that.. seems pretty cheesy, and unnecessary. If the firewall isn't strong enough (I think it is) it should be made stronger.. that seems like a hack. Doesn't the pedal cluster go up against the firewall and reinforce it anyways?
SpecialK
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 10:39 PM)
I'm curious about the MC/firewall flex upgrade.  I've never heard of this being a problem, but it looks to me that they welded a threaded sleeve to the front suspension tube (nom.?), and inserted a bolt and locking nut for adjustment.  Am I looking at that right?  :confused:  And is that worth doing?

I chuckled at that.. seems pretty cheesy, and unnecessary. If the firewall isn't strong enough (I think it is) it should be made stronger.. that seems like a hack. Doesn't the pedal cluster go up against the firewall and reinforce it anyways?

That's kind of what I thought. Never heard of such an "upgrade" IPB Image , my pedal cluster is bolted to the floor which is also supported from underneath.....isn't yours? (okay, okay.... the MC goes through the firewall)
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 11:39 PM)
I'm curious about the MC/firewall flex upgrade.  I've never heard of this being a problem, but it looks to me that they welded a threaded sleeve to the front suspension tube (nom.?), and inserted a bolt and locking nut for adjustment.  Am I looking at that right?  :confused:  And is that worth doing?

don't think it flexes?? get under your car while someone stomps on the brake pedal.......
.....be prepared to say "oh wow, it does move" IPB Image
SpecialK
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 19 2005, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 19 2005, 11:39 PM)

don't think it flexes?? get under your car while someone stomps on the brake pedal.......
.....be prepared to say "oh wow, it does move" IPB Image

So Mike, you feel that it is a ligit upgrade/fix for this issue? I've been so involved in fixing "rust" on my cars that it never occurred to me that the MC/firewall flex is a problem. Learn something (that creates more work on these cars) everyday. IPB Image IPB Image
ChrisFoley
I have heard of that M/C fix from others as well.
I never had a problem and I might use another method myself if I did but it is legit.

They poured a ton of effort, not to mention $$ into the project. It has a d-jet Euro 2 liter with full Tangerine Super Header exhaust system that puts out around 115 peak hp. Transmission was built by Translog (Gary Wigglesworth).
The chassis is 100% rustfree fully repainted, nice interior, good suspension.
Very low mileage after restoration.
About the only thing it currently lacks is heat.
I bet it sells for at least $15K.
seanery
Chris,
that exhaust on their video sounds awesome!
nebreitling
looks pretty damn nice to me. maybe not quite a 17k car, but not too far off. 14k?
rhodyguy
i found the repeated alt failures odd and their explanation interesting IPB Image . they should have bought one of jeff b's f.i. harness'. do you think they rebuilt the mc? i should think they would have cleaned it up IPB Image . i never realized the jack points were so STRONG IPB Image . nice looking car tho.

k
brant

Yep.. they flex.

and that flex creates the feel of "a spongy pedal"
Its not a big or really important upgrade, its more of a feel thing than a true performance thing..

When we went over to the aluminum calipers we did the upgrade in hopes of reducing at least one source of negative feel...

I don't like the Grass roots approach.. heavy and ugly.
I'll take pictures next weekend of our approach:"K.I.S.S." cheaper and easier.
SLITS
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 20 2005, 08:09 AM)
i found the repeated alt failures odd and their explanation interesting IPB Image . they should have bought one of jeff b's f.i. harness'. do you think they rebuilt the mc? i should think they would have cleaned it up IPB Image . i never realized the jack points were so STRONG IPB Image . nice looking car tho.

k

Depending upon where they got their "rebuilt" alternator, will determine the quality. In today's market, with the Ornamentals flooding the market with cheap new stuff (old parts, new castings), the US Rebuilder is forced to cut costs anyway they can.

Market forces of the mass merchandizers (AutoZone, Kragen, Chucks, whatever) have dictated to the rebuilders that they must stock all their stores with what the store wants. They do not pay for it upfront. They demand six months of "free" and then they pay for what they have sold and the rebuilder takes the rest back.

So now, you tell me how you can build a quality unit under those conditions.

Edit: I fogot about the "lifetime" guarantee that the consumer demands too!
McMark
Oh yeah, the firewall flexes. It's actually crazy to see. I think I would double up the sheet metal there, but the bolt trick works 100% already, so choose your poison.

And you were wrong Joe, it devolved into a brake MC upgrade thread. IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
SpecialK
Well, since I've got to pull the front suspension down again (friggin' rubber steering shaft firewall seal fell off when I installed it, didn't know until it was all bolted up IPB Image ), I might as well do something about it. May wait to see what method Brant used though. IPB Image
brant
Mine is nothing complicated.
I'll be able to get pictures this weekend.

Its just a steel brace made out of a piece of strap.

it runs from the cross bar (aluminum in my case) and could probably be welded to a steel cross bar (or possibly bolted like I did to my crossbar)

it then runs right below the master and is actually then clamped to the master with some standard old hose clamps...

picture will explain better
Joe.D
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 20 2005, 01:50 PM)
Oh yeah, the firewall flexes. It's actually crazy to see. I think I would double up the sheet metal there, but the bolt trick works 100% already, so choose your poison.

And you were wrong Joe, it devolved into a brake MC upgrade thread. IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image

Mark,

I was hoping to be wrong, and glad to see it happen. I hate reruns.

Its certainly one of the best documented restorations you might find, if looking for a "finished" car...

Joe
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 20 2005, 09:23 AM)
Chris,
that exhaust on their video sounds awesome!

Sounds even better when you're sittin' in the car! IPB Image
or standin' behind it!
And it sounds even better when the cam has some overlap. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.