Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusted floors...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Took out the seats earlier and I found some bad rust on the driver's side under the seat area. Passengers side is perfect compared to drivers...

What to do now? Problem is, we know nothing about welding or know anyone who welds...Who do we go to to weld in a new floorboard? Body shop? Custom welder? IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
When you say bad rust do you mean it's perforated or heavily pitted? Much of your decision depends on the rest of the car and what you want to do with it.

I get (and sell) floorpans in front and rear halves as well as left and right halves, so you've got options if you do require panel replacment.

Post some pics for more advice.
MattR
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 19 2005, 06:52 PM)
When you say bad rust do you mean it's perforated or heavily pitted? Much of your decision depends on the rest of the car and what you want to do with it.

I get (and sell) floorpans in front and rear halves as well as left and right halves, so you've got options if you do require panel replacment.

This is OT, but do you sell 912 floor pans too? Restoration design has front and rear but not left and right.
rick 918-S
Do a search on the BBS for McMark. He hunts rust and kills it.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Jan 19 2005, 06:35 PM)
What to do now?

fix your leaking rear window!

IPB Image Andy
Quebecer
Good call Andy, most newbies don't know where this rust comes from! IPB Image
xsboost90
if its penetrated the bottom of the car i would either take it to a shop or maybe now its time to buy a welder and start practicing.
lapuwali
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 19 2005, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 19 2005, 06:52 PM)
When you say bad rust do you mean it's perforated or heavily pitted?  Much of your decision depends on the rest of the car and what you want to do with it.  

This is OT, but do you sell 912 floor pans too? Restoration design has front and rear but not left and right.

Just buy the "middle" floorpan and cut it up to make panels. You CAN replace the whole middle floor as one piece, it just requires drilling out a zillion spot welds.
MattR
Okay, good tip. Thanks.
lapuwali
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 20 2005, 11:09 AM)
Okay, good tip. Thanks.

MattR, this is scary. I have a '67 912 as a daily driver, a 914, and I'm considering buying a Squareback as a parts hauler...
MattR
LOL! What year is your 914?
lapuwali
'71 1.7, so it's not the same. Otherwise, I'd have to kill you...

Now, if your 912 is Irish Green and your 914 is white, I probably will have to kill you, anyway...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.