Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission identify/info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zdaxxy
My 1974 914 I bought did not come with an engine or transmission. I bought this off craigslist titled as '914 transmission for sale'

Guy didnt know anything about it. Said it was a 5 speed that was pulled from a running 914 and shifted fine, no known issues, blah blah...

Oh he said this is a tail shift?

I only found two numbers on it. Cant seem to locate a manual for specifications.

I need to get a clutch for it, replace the seals since its out, replace the oil, etc.

Are there manuals for this?? With these numbers is there a way to reference what year/type etc?

Also, what is the little two prong switch? backup/reverse switch or vacuum sensor?

Im slightly confused about the numbering of the transmissions.
Did a Porsche 914 car come with a 901 trans, a 914 trans, or either depending on year?

This first number 914. designate this is a 914 trans? or for a 914 car?
zdaxxy
other side...
CptTripps
I BELIEVE the 914 means it was for a 914 car, or originally designed for it anyway. Dr. Evil will be able to help there, I heard once that if the number at the end in odd, it's for the passenger side of the car, but I'm not sure if that was true or not.
dlee6204
It's definitely a tail shift which is also incorrect for your year of car. 70-72 cars had tailshifts. 73-76 had sideshifts. Sideshifts are considered the better of the two and a lot of people 'upgrade' to them.

You will also have some fitment issues with the shift linkage trying to backdate.
Dave_Darling
Originally, the 911 was called the "901". The number for the car was changed very early on, but many of the parts still carried that as the first number grouping.

The 914 used a version of the early 911 transmission, but set up for mid-engine operation. So the 914 transmission is based on the 901 transmission, rather than the later 915 box from a 72-86 911, for example.

We often call the 914's transmission a "901" because of all of the elements that it has in common with those early 911 transmissions, but if we were to be specific we probably ought to say "914 transaxle".

Yours is definitely a tail-shift; the linkage goes into the box through the tail-cone. A side-shift would go in through the case in front of the intermediate plate.

The transmission serial number should be located on the bottom of the gearbox, on the lowest fore-and-aft rib.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
All 914 clutches are functionally the same. The only major difference would be in the disc; 914/4s had a 4 spring disc, 911 to '69 and 914/6 had a 6 spring disc. The 4 and 6 flywheels were made of cast iron, the 911s (until 1969) were made of steel. The seals were also the same for all 914 transaxles. As DD said above, this is a tail shift. I don't think there's an adapter firewall bushing made to backdate the linkage in your car, so there's a big stumbling block right there. It is possible, and quite common, to update the transaxle to the later configuration. It's something you may be able to do yourself once you've learned the essential procedures and pitfalls. All the appropriate seals and gaskets for either version come in the gasket set.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Oh--the two-wire electrical connector is indeed for the backup light switch. When reverse is selected, a pin sticking out of the transmission "works" into the back of the switch closes the switch. That shorts the two contacts together, which (when plugged in properly) causes the backup lights to come on.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.