Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front air valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
minnesota loon
Would removing the front valance increase air flow to the oil cooler? Mine is this style.Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Where's the oil cooler? What other ducting has been set up?

--DD
minnesota loon
Oil cooler is in original position by rear of engine. No other ducting has been done. My Question is does the air get pushed away from flowing under the car? I am hoping it might run cooler with extra air under the car.
wes
I have often wondered the same thing on that valance, mine is the same as the LE that is a bit higher in center.
GeorgeRud
Actually, as the airflow is directed from the top of the engine, I think that anything that would decrease the undercar air pressure would be helpful. The small flaps at the base of the firewall were designed to help with this as well.
Dave_Darling
If we're talking the on-engine cooler, George is quite right. The air dam won't hurt the cooling, and it may help it a little bit!

--DD
Elliot Cannon
I have a really low air dam on my car and I noticed oil temps hotter. I don't know about how the airflow under the car affects the oil cooler. I just know the oil temps went up after the airdam was installed. I installed an external cooler and it helped a whole lot.
Maltese Falcon
On a flex dam with a real low rubber edge, my old 2.7 did pick up extra heat . I wound up going back to a higher profile spoiler. The trade off is high speed handling, better with a deep spoiler. So when I went to a front oil cooler the deep spoiler went back on !
Marty
SirAndy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 30 2014, 02:21 PM) *

On a flex dam with a real low rubber edge, my old 2.7 did pick up extra heat . I wound up going back to a higher profile spoiler. The trade off is high speed handling, better with a deep spoiler. So when I went to a front oil cooler the deep spoiler went back on !

agree.gif

Air under the car aids cooling as it moves by under the engine but it also makes the car much more unstable at higher speeds (110+ mph).

For a car that sees those high speeds on a regular basis, you want to block as much air from getting under the car as possible.
For a car that is street driven, you want the opposite to help with the cooling.

sunglasses.gif
minnesota loon
Thanks every body. I think I will take it off and see what happens. I have never gone more than 70mph and that was once. I will post later on results.
brant
I agree with the above..
a really low car with a really low spoiler will raise oil temps

learned this in the late 80's when I used to run a street car with a flex dam

pulled it off and lost 10degrees of oil temp

most of the LE type spoilers make no difference
the flex dam on a lowered car only leaves a couple of inches clearance
JmuRiz
This will be good to hear your temps.

Where did you get that front spoiler? Looks like the one I only thought was sold in europe. If you can get them other places, I may have to pick one up.
wes
I belive the flaps create a vacuum wich sucks air down from the eng lid, throught the eng compartment out the bottom and exits out the rear.
So if the air flow under the car is disturbed or blocked off it dose not have any way of creating the vacuum that is needed for this design, and because the underside of most cars are not streamline in any way it creates a drag hince the need for a lower car and why the air is blocked off and diverted around wich also creates a sucking to the road I hope this makes sense and if you realy want that air deverted around the car instead of all the noisy air under the car you need a new cooling set up!
campbellcj
Also be aware that the really low spoilers will greatly reduce airflow (cooling) to your front brakes. I just learned that the hard way last weekend at Laguna Seca. I haven't finished my cooling ducts yet and lost brakes after ~20-25 minutes on track. In the last session I switched to a less deep spoiler and went 30 minutes with no fade at all.
SirAndy
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 2 2014, 08:30 AM) *
Also be aware that the really low spoilers will greatly reduce airflow (cooling) to your front brakes. I just learned that the hard way last weekend at Laguna Seca. I haven't finished my cooling ducts yet and lost brakes after ~20-25 minutes on track. In the last session I switched to a less deep spoiler and went 30 minutes with no fade at all.

agree.gif On a low spoiler, brake cooling ducts are a must!
cwpeden
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 1 2014, 09:13 AM) *

This will be good to hear your temps.

Where did you get that front spoiler? Looks like the one I only thought was sold in europe. If you can get them other places, I may have to pick one up.

There are a couple used ones listed local to me: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/...market_18294475
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.