Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First time Driving a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
OK. Been waiting for a suitable time to write. Well, I have been making small talk with this guy that lives around the corner from me about his 914. His wife wants him to sell it..but for obvious reasons hes procrastinating..hes got a for sale sign laying upside down in the car with the incorrect number...Ok to the point. The car is the first and last teener I have ever seen. I am only 17 years old, I havent lived yet. I never knew of this car until a month ago..and since then have done like 40 hours of reading and other bs. Well, I look and the carpet and basically every concievable spot and their is virtually no rust!! The battery tray is pretty good minor surface rust, but beneath it is no rust whatsoever. Right rear suspension is perfect. Headlight gutters are clean. Headlights work. oh yeah, its a 72 1.7 black with 74k miles. Car sat for 15 years until the guy acquired it a year ago. So the paint is faded..I dont give a flying hoot..Also the fuel injection was toasted. He replaced it with dual webber 40s. And replaced all the belts, hoses, and new tires. It needs minor motor work to get running properly, doesnt need a full rebuild. Everything is stock..other than a Monza exhaust (i think) that was installed like 85 years ago..all nasty surface rust on that..Well I drove it yesterday for the first time..he let me go with a friend for about 30 minutes..All I have to say is man, I suck with this tail-shift (or side? which one was the crappy early one?). It felt like a total newb driving it, but I had a blast. Kept going from 1st two fourth..lol. This thing is a blast to drive in sheer comparison to my 02 civic. THANX mom, coulda saved you 16 thousand by having you by me this car instead...Well..all I can say is that I cant wait...And after finding this website, I am ready to jump right in. Every one here is very polite and informative. Even that ahole Brad...just playin...Oh hey, only 2,500 for the car. Oh well..im done writing, was bored decided to show you how lousy I am at expressing my enthusiasm. biggrin.gif Oh hey, I am gonna get some digital photos of the car...be back in bout an hour or so..till then beer.gif
Jared
DrifterJay
oh yeah...with the engine 3 inches from..what an experience..never been in a mid engine vehicle...
im a dork..gonna go bye!
Jared
bernbomb914
Hay Drifter there are 5or 6 914s in the valley and if you need parts there is a guy in rainbow that has more parts than porsche. He attends all the pomona swap meets with a bunch of parts. He has 4 cars at his house where he works on them.

Bernie driving.gif
EdwardBlume
Welcome to the lifelong addiction of 914s. When you turn 18 check out your local PCA for racing the car. Good luck!
DrifterJay
Hey, well, Im sure I will see u guys out there in the upcoming months...Its a pleasure being able talk to other enthusiasts/dorks like myself..lol beer.gif
Jared
DrifterJay
oh yeah, and the pictures...was too dark when I finally left..Will start a thread later on dem..
Jared
Gint
Sounds like a decent car Jared. Hope you can get it. PICS!
McMark
Maybe I'm the only cynic here, but doesn't $2500 seem high for the car as described? Especially in CA? Sounds like a $1500 car to me. For $2500 you could buy up 3 or 4 cars on craigslist.org and put somethin' real nice together and have lots of spare parts for when they break.
Gint
I didn't say $2500 was the best price in the world, but everything is negotiable. Until the guy commits to selling the car, what's the point. 914 prices have been creeping up though, and if it's truly rsut free, it's in the ballpark.
ChrisFoley
Since you say the rust is minimal, as long as the car is driveable and would pass a safety inspection it's worth at least $2000. On the east coast it might be worth more than $2500. JMHO smile.gif Everything else wrong with it can be fixed with some help from your new friends on this forum. One more thing, you should look at at least one more 'teener for sale before you buy. Good luck Jared!
DrifterJay
Thank you for the insight...I have been looking around..to be honest, the majority of the stuff I have seen adverstised around my area looks like crap in comparison..yet, it is the only one I have actually looked at. I never noticed them until recently so..Will try and take a look at more...Any local guys want to let me check out their 914? Hell want to look at the one im interested in? Its literally a block from my home and I live in Murrieta, CA. Would be mightily appreciated. crossing fingers...
Jared

oh yeah, what have you guys paid for yours, and what condition were they in...and the main issue, is how much di biggrin.gif d it cost to make them rust free??? I will be leaving to basic training soon and when I get back from tech school, this will my daily driver, so its not like I can afford to have a car on jack stands for 6 months.....Sorry for this rambling, just way stoked on this one car...lol
seanery
If it really is rust free, then that is the most important thing.

Everything else is plug-n-play except that it may be a big item.
Engines-saw a nice 2.0 go on ebay 2 days ago for $680, sideshifter trans go for $150....
DrifterJay
wow..thats cheap..
jared
Jeroen
Hey Jared,

I feel your exitement and I don't wanna burst your bubble, but find a BBS-member close to you who can have a look at the car for you.
There can be a lot of hidden surprises with these little cars that are hard to spot for a newbie (don't ask me how I know biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
This is how he knows. HAHA...probably sold to him as a "rust free California model"... tongue.gif
IPB Image
street legal go-kart
mr j
iv posted this desription before but here goes

my car is an unmolested rust free 2.0 76 2 owner car with decent maint records
passable repaint , clean interior , new tires , fresh tune , oil change ect .
since i bought it i have put new points in the fuel pump , done some preventative wiring repairs and added a rear deck lid spoiler
oh yea i also have driven 3000 miles without a major problem of any kind
look around
it is worth yor time to see all the cars in your area for sale
it took me two years to find my car but i paid

$3000 ohmy.gif take your time there are great cars out there that need very little work
good luck
jt
Aaron Cox
sorry to "rain on your parade", but, it's a late model (some people dont like the late style bumpers), and is it SMOG legal?
street legal go-kart
oh yea
do take brads advice

dont buy the car if
the wiring has been hacked , the car has been wrecked , the car has rust .these basic things will save you major headaches later on
also i can tell you having been on the reciving end of a very quick ride up skyline blvd when i was 9 years old in a brand new 69 911S that this P thing just gets worse with age blink.gif
good luck

jt
street legal go-kart
aaron
every thing works
see previous post
i.e. unmolested 2 owner maint records ect
my car is the best unrestored [ original condition ] 914 i have seen in about ten years and i am very picky , having owned everything from a ihba blown fuel hydro to a 89 911sc to a beech bonanza with leather interior and a/c
i have a very critical eye and like the big bumpers tongue.gif
Gint
I feel your exitement and I don't wanna burst your bubble, but find a BBS-member close to you who can have a look at the car for you.

I should have told you this last night. This is the best piece of advice yet. Especially looking at buying your first 914. My first one only cost $1k, so I couldn't lose.
ThinAir
Whatever 914 you end up with, if it's pre-1973 then it has a "tail-shifter". The upgrade to "side-shifter" is well worth it, but don't get sucked in by an eBay deal on a tranny for $150. For that price all you will get is the transmission. A conversion from tail-shifter to side shifter requires replacing every piece between the transmission and the shift knob plus you have to change the engine mount bar.
seanery
I'm not 100% sold on the MUST CONVERT TO SIDE SHIFT mentality.

I bought a car that was sloppy, replaced (Brad did) the bushing and put a kick ass shifter in it and it's better than any side shifter I ever had.

Not everyone will have the same results, but ask anyone else (Brad) who drove my car with the improved shifter.
DrifterJay
Well, hey, is there anyone in the Southwest Riverside County Area that would be willing to take a look? A free lunch is included beer.gif
Jared
would be mightily appreciated
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 1 2003, 04:26 PM)
I bought a car that was sloppy, replaced (Brad did) the bushing and put a kick ass shifter in it and it's better than any side shifter I ever had.

the tailshifter tranny is actually the better one of the 2 boxes IF you can get it to shift right. with new bushings and a springloaded shifter, they are excellent ...

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.