Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TPS sensor board replacement procedure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi all,

Before I go down what seems like the obvious but wrong path.

Just got a new tips sensor board from 914rubber.com.

When installing, shouldn't remove the tps assembly from the engine or leave it in place.

I was thinking it may need to come off but don't know if that opens a can of works in terms of linkage,gaskets, etc.

Thanks,

Mike
TheCabinetmaker
You must remove it to drill the rivets. Nothing else involved. Simple remove and reinstall. Then it needs to be adjusted. The adjustment procedure is outlined at pelican
Amphicar770
Thanks. Changed it this evening, have not had a chance to test drive. Could definitely see the wear on the old one even with only 45k miles on the odometer.

One bit of oddness I experienced on my '74 2.0

I replaced the throttle position circuit board. Put the TB back on car, hooked up some jumpers and could not get a reading other than 1.

Figuring I might have the jumpers wrong I again removed the TB. Jumpers were correct and I was able to calibrate on the bench. Left the jumpers in place, put the TB back on car. Checked reading, still zero.

I now hook the linkage back up and notice the reading is back at 1. Loosen the screws, go to adjust and same as before, only shows 1 no matter how I turn the assembly.

Seems to be OK with bench calibration but not sure why I can't seem to calibrate on the car?
Amphicar770
Had her out today (gotta love having AC on a 95 degree day).

What a huge difference this little part makes. Running so very much smoother.

This is one of those items that makes you thankful for forums like this and vendors like 914rubber. I wonder how many FI systems got scrapped over the years because mechanics could not diagnose something like this (I couldn't if it were not for these forums). I have all the records from new on my 914. Some years back it was in Nevada and the PO spent a ton of money trying to pass emissions, probably a treadmill test. I wonder if it was this part all along? We don't have emissions in PA for antique vehicles (yeah) but this part was well worth replacing. I may buy a spare to have with the car for some future owner.

swooshdave
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 30 2014, 09:26 PM) *

Seems to be OK with bench calibration but not sure why I can't seem to calibrate on the car?

What did you do to get it working?
Amphicar770
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jul 1 2014, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 30 2014, 09:26 PM) *

What did you do to get it working?

I just went with the bench calibration and it seems just fine. I did read somewhere else that you have to make sure the tps butterfly is closed completely which it is in the bench but may not be after cables are hooked up. I considered checking again but for now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.