Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chevy 4.3 swap questions!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Desertbound1024
I just picked up a 75 914 that is complete minus the engine. I was told that the car had a 4.3 out of a blazer in it, and that it was taken out to be converted to electric which never ended up happening. The car came with a Kennedy adapter plate, clutch and flywheel, and also a wiring harness for a 4.3(calling Kennedy tomorrow to verify what I have)
My question is what is involved in swapping a carbureted 4.3 back into the car? I understand it will need to be plumbed and motor mounts made since the previous owner got rid of them. But what will be need to be done to the motor? Anything special or can I plumb it, wire it, build the motor mounts and call it good? Also can the parts I have (flywheel, clutch and adapter) work with a small block chevy?
JRust
QUOTE(Desertbound1024 @ Jul 1 2014, 10:02 PM) *

My question is what is involved in swapping a carbureted 4.3 back into the car? I understand it will need to be plumbed and motor mounts made since the previous owner got rid of them. But what will be need to be done to the motor? Anything special or can I plumb it, wire it, build the motor mounts and call it good? Also can the parts I have (flywheel, clutch and adapter) work with a small block chevy?

Yeah a carbed 4.3 motor you just need to figure the motor mounts. It's a pretty stand alone system with a carb. Get the right low pressure fuel pump. Does it still have the radiator setup? If not that is critical. The easiest way to run the lunes is get Gates green strip in the 1 1/4" size. Run them in the recesses under the car to the radiator in the front trunk.

I am not sure if the current adapter plate, flywheel will work with a small block or not.
BIGKAT_83
You need to know if the Kennedy adapter is for a pre or post 86 chevy engine. That will determented which engine you can use, The V6 and V8 share the same flywheels and belhousings.
Desertbound1024
The previous owner removed the radiator setup, so i will have to re-plumb it all. I will call Kennedy to find out what motor works with my setup. Also will I need to relocate anything on the engine to fit it into the car or is it as simple as motor mounts, wiring and plumbing?
Desertbound1024
I think this ad is from the guy who originally put the motor in. Anyway to find out if he's a member? Sorry in new to this forum
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=212585
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

Lots of conversion guys here. Many different kinds...
speed metal army
Careful! It wont be a Porsche any more! lol-2.gif
welcome.png
Desertbound1024
Ok guys I need your opinion, should I swap in a chevy 350, chevy 4.3 v6 or buy a 1.8 long block and build it? I'm looking for the cheapest option/cheapest horsepower
jmill
QUOTE(Desertbound1024 @ Jul 3 2014, 05:59 PM) *

I'm looking for the cheapest option/cheapest horsepower

Aren't we all. By far the cheapest option would be to buy a running 1.8 and drop it in. Cheapest horsepower I'd say it's a toss up between the 350 and 4.3. They use a lot of the same parts since they share the same bore and stroke. You might be able to get some of the 350 specific parts cheaper due to the volume of sales (cam, heads, manifold, etc.)

You have all the Kennedy bits for the 4.3. It's a very reliable engine. It's no slouch either capable of making over 300 hp. I had one in an S10 Blazer. Never had a problem but is does shake around a bit.
Desertbound1024
Ya I think I've decided I'm just going to sell the Kennedy stuff and buy a running 1.8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.